The Student Room Group

If a guy wants you to change.. should you?

If a guy says you need to change.. because you argue a lot.. should you change? Isnt it true that if you love someone you love everything about them?

Scroll to see replies

If the change makes you a better person, independent of the relationship, then yes.
Reply 2
It takes 2 to argue though so why?
Don't change. Find someone who accepts all of you.
Reply 4
Sometimes i wonder if theres something wrong with me.. why do arguments happen..
Original post by glassriver
Don't change. Find someone who accepts all of you.

take this advice and you'll die alone
Reply 6
And how can this guy say he loves me if he threatens to leave all the time.. tthreatesn that it wont work
Original post by Zargabaath
take this advice and you'll die alone

you don't need to die alone, you can get a gerbil
It depends on what he's expecting you to change. If it's something (such as drugs or smoking, as an example) that would improve you as a person independent of the relationship then it may not be a bad idea. However if it's something petty or something that is ridiculous to change then no you shouldn't do it if you don't want to.

In terms of arguments it takes two to tango so there should be some compromise - if he's expecting you to do X then you should come to a solution that would benefit you both - perhaps something you can mutually improve upon together.

Remember that in a relationship people will argue but the good times should outnumber the bad times by a great deal. If they don't then it's best to cut your losses and move on. PM me if you'd like to talk :smile:
Loving someone does not necessarily mean loving everything about them, it means loving them in spite of their flaws.

What exactly is it he thinks you should change?

Some changes to yourself are okay, but not if it goes against who you are as a person and only benefits him.

For example say you got angry really quickly over the smallest things, him asking you to work on your anger would be (in my opinion anyway) acceptable. However let's say for example he didn't like the hobbies you have and asked you to change them, that would not be an acceptable change for him to expect.
Original post by danr2
th

prsom
Original post by anniethedoc
And how can this guy say he loves me if he threatens to leave all the time.. tthreatesn that it wont work

If he constantly threatens to leave or that it won't work then he doesn't truly love you. This is a sign of power and him trying to control you and is a massive red flag.

This, combined with him asking you to change, is a big no. It seems like you should get out of there ASAP.
Original post by SophieSmall
Loving someone does not necessarily mean loving everything about them, it means loving them in spite of their flaws.

What exactly is it he thinks you should change?

Some changes to yourself are okay, but not if it goes against who you are as a person and only benefits him.

For example say you got angry really quickly over the smallest things, him asking you to work on your anger would be (in my opinion anyway) acceptable. However let's say for example he didn't like the hobbies you have and asked you to change them, that would not be an acceptable change for him to expect.

how are you always the most down to earth poster on every thread?
9 times out of 10 your posts are PRSOM
Original post by danr2
th

Stop that
Original post by Zargabaath
how are you always the most down to earth poster on every thread?
9 times out of 10 your posts are PRSOM

I'm basically a god.
Reply 15
then tell them to delete my account?
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm basically a god.

those gems speak for themselves
This person sounds quite destructive,
It depends on what they want you to change, how and in how they are saying it. If they are saying it in the heat of the arguement, in a bad way, think x2
Original post by danr2
then tell them to delete my account?

What do I look like some kind of messenger?

Do it yourself, ask the CT
Reply 19
i did it but it seems they like it cuz they don't reply..
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending