The Student Room Group

Scottish foundation school

Hello,

I have just been allocated to the Scotland foundation programme and need to rank the deaneries then the individual programmes. I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding which hospitals or programmes in Scotland are the best (or ideal) for training?

Thanks
Reply 1
Ive heard larbert is good
Reply 2
Original post by jooby92
Ive heard larbert is good

thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by TheRabbit
Forth Valley is a random choice (above poster) though friends there seem to be finding things okay. I think some people are finding the new Southern General not so good, but it probably depends on who you speak to.

Depends what you want. Edinburgh and Glasgow are more competitive and have more and bigger hospitals than Aberdeen and Dundee. There are still research opportunities in Aberdeen and Dundee, juniors are probably less career minded in the less competitive areas.

I am in a Northern Deanery programme chosen because I enjoy outdoor activities and knew I really liked living in Inverness (from being a student), so it was between an Inverness & west coast programme or a Glasgow programme (Glasgow being close to the West Highlands), but I am well aware that to someone else my programme might seem like hell!

North and East deaneries have 2 year programmes, whereas South East and South West you apply to 1 year then choose the 2nd year whilst in FY1.

I made a huge spread sheet, marked out each job by colour (I like blue so jobs I liked like A and E, GP, paeds were marked out in shades of blue, ones I didn't want like histopathology in browns and murky colours) to work out which programmes had more of the jobs I was interested in, but also then looked at the locations and thought about where I'd prefer to live.

There tends to be a lot more 'going on' in the central belt, however it depends what you are interested in, and its not so hard to use transport to get down there for weekends. There are even clubs in Shetland and Stornoway, so though the nightlife might not be so good in some places there is always something!

Are you doing the highland rural track? I'm putting that as my first choice for programme group rankings in the scotland deanery & would be interested to hear about your experience of it if you are.
I would also love to hear your experience of how competitive it was to get on to last year. I know its quite competitive & having seen the statistics for 2014, I would only just make it by the skin of my teeth if its similar this year!
Reply 4
Forth Valley is a random choice (above poster) though friends there seem to be finding things okay. I think some people are finding the new Southern General not so good, but it probably depends on who you speak to.

Depends what you want. Edinburgh and Glasgow are more competitive and have more and bigger hospitals than Aberdeen and Dundee. There are still research opportunities in Aberdeen and Dundee, juniors are probably less career minded in the less competitive areas.

I am in a Northern Deanery programme chosen because I enjoy outdoor activities and knew I really liked living in Inverness (from being a student), so it was between an Inverness & west coast programme or a Glasgow programme (Glasgow being close to the West Highlands), but I am well aware that to someone else my programme might seem like hell!

North and East deaneries have 2 year programmes, whereas South East and South West you apply to 1 year then choose the 2nd year whilst in FY1.

I made a huge spread sheet, marked out each job by colour (I like blue so jobs I liked like A and E, GP, paeds were marked out in shades of blue, ones I didn't want like histopathology in browns and murky colours) to work out which programmes had more of the jobs I was interested in, but also then looked at the locations and thought about where I'd prefer to live.

There tends to be a lot more 'going on' in the central belt, however it depends what you are interested in, and its not so hard to use transport to get down there for weekends. There are even clubs in Shetland and Stornoway, so though the nightlife might not be so good in some places there is always something!

Thanks for replying.
I like the colour coded idea. I may do that. I was considering either the west or the south east deanery actually... with the west as the first choice. I guess I am also concerned about how good the training or supervision is in these hospitals. I've been out of medicine for a while so would ideally like to choose somewhere with good support.
Reply 5

I am in a Northern Deanery programme chosen because I enjoy outdoor activities and knew I really liked living in Inverness

I'm quite interested in the Northern Deanery (for next year). Are you able to stay in one city for the whole of foundation, or is it more like one placement in Inverness, then Caithness for a placement before coming back to Inverness? That seems to be the structure for a lot of the programmes and I'm a bit unsure about having to move such large distances
Original post by Ghotay
I'm quite interested in the Northern Deanery (for next year). Are you able to stay in one city for the whole of foundation, or is it more like one placement in Inverness, then Caithness for a placement before coming back to Inverness? That seems to be the structure for a lot of the programmes and I'm a bit unsure about having to move such large distances

The majority of the programmes are one year Aberdeen and one year Elgin/Inverness (with the Aberdeen year being either FY1 or FY2). There are a few which are all Aberdeen except from one 4 month stretch in Western Isles/Shetland/Fort William rural district generals. Then there is the rural track - FY1 year in Inverness FY2 either Fort William/Oban or Oban/Lochgilphead. The academic programme is also different with 3 jobs being 2 years in Inverness, and presumably some being 2 years in Aberdeen.

Hope that helps. All the Scottish deaneries seem to involve some degree of travel - for example the Edinburgh jobs are often split between Edinburgh city and Fife or the borders, Dundee jobs split with Perth, Glasgow split with Forth Valley and Dumfries and Galloway.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for replying.
I like the colour coded idea. I may do that. I was considering either the west or the south east deanery actually... with the west as the first choice. I guess I am also concerned about how good the training or supervision is in these hospitals. I've been out of medicine for a while so would ideally like to choose somewhere with good support.

Its difficult to advise on that. I guess it may help to be in a smaller place as you are more likely to know and be closer to your FY colleagues, and you are more likely to be known by the consultants, however there are disadvantages to that too if there are people you have a problem with!
Reply 8
The majority of the programmes are one year Aberdeen and one year Elgin/Inverness (with the Aberdeen year being either FY1 or FY2). There are a few which are all Aberdeen except from one 4 month stretch in Western Isles/Shetland/Fort William rural district generals. Then there is the rural track - FY1 year in Inverness FY2 either Fort William/Oban or Oban/Lochgilphead. The academic programme is also different with 3 jobs being 2 years in Inverness, and presumably some being 2 years in Aberdeen.

Hi, I've got one of the academic jobs you mentioned and will be working in Inverness/Fort William for the next two years.

Just wondering how you've found Inverness as a place to live/work?

Is there a good social scene in the hospital + is the staff accommodation bearable?

Thanks
Original post by A_Norton
Hi, I've got one of the academic jobs you mentioned and will be working in Inverness/Fort William for the next two years.

Just wondering how you've found Inverness as a place to live/work?

Is there a good social scene in the hospital + is the staff accommodation bearable?

Thanks

will PM with more detail, essentially Inverness is a great place to live and work, hospital is friendly, city is cheap to live in.
Reply 10

Hope that helps. All the Scottish deaneries seem to involve some degree of travel - for example the Edinburgh jobs are often split between Edinburgh city and Fife or the borders, Dundee jobs split with Perth, Glasgow split with Forth Valley and Dumfries and Galloway.

That's very useful, thanks. Is it easy to get reasonably priced hospital accommodation then?

I'm most interested in small DGHs in rural locations (preferably by the sea!) and just thinking about where might be the best fit for me
Its difficult to advise on that. I guess it may help to be in a smaller place as you are more likely to know and be closer to your FY colleagues, and you are more likely to be known by the consultants, however there are disadvantages to that too if there are people you have a problem with!

Yes, I suspected as much anyway. Just looking for any advice I can get to help in my ranking. Thank you for your advice though.
Original post by Ghotay
That's very useful, thanks. Is it easy to get reasonably priced hospital accommodation then?

I'm most interested in small DGHs in rural locations (preferably by the sea!) and just thinking about where might be the best fit for me

Depends where I guess. I think its about £350/mth in Inverness, not sure if that includes bills. Most of us live outside of the hospital accommodation because its not any more expensive and its much nicer - why not if you can afford it, other places are probably different.

You probably have lots of options really in Scotland, I love my part of the world but each to their own. Even in Aberdeen you are right next to the sea and not far from hills, Glasgow you have the west highlands and can easily get to the coast and sea lochs, Edinburgh you have the firth of forth, Dundee again is close to the sea.
I'm a bit confused about how FY2 is allocated for the West deanery. I know that only FY1 is allocated at this stage for the West deanery- but when you are choosing FY2 jobs, do you choose from those within your own programme group or can you be allocated to an FY2 job from a different programme group?
Reply 14
I also have a question about that, for fy2 is your fpas score used when ranking your fy2 options to determine which preference u get or does ur fpas score no longer have an impact
I'm a bit confused about how FY2 is allocated for the West deanery. I know that only FY1 is allocated at this stage for the West deanery- but when you are choosing FY2 jobs, do you choose from those within your own programme group or can you be allocated to an FY2 job from a different programme group?

you chose jobs within the programme based on preferences and who else fancies the job...
I don't know if this might still be useful to somebody but I sent an email to the FPD and she said that trainees during January/February of their FY1 will rank the programmes available in the group they have previously been allocated. The FY2 allocation process will be based on evidence in eportfolio, reflections and career choice (no Fpas score).

BTW, I'm looking for someone who is working in the West region, particularly in the Forth Valley Hospital or Golden Jubilee National hospital. I'd like to know how the training would be there
Reply 17
Thanks for replying.

Hi there,

I know a few people that have been through foundation in Scotland over the past 4 years.

The Borders as part of South East is very well supported as is Wishaw in the West. Teaching time is protected there with bleeps handed over to the reg and consultants. They are both District Generals so they have less of a staffing crisis from what I have been told

Hope that is useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending