The Student Room Group

Applicant open day questions

Hi all.

It's coming up to my open day at Bournemouth and I've made a few personal questions I need to ask whilst I'm there. But, amongst sixth form and being busy, I'm really struggling to think up important questions I should ask whilst I'm there. Anyone got any important questions you wish you'd ask, feel are important etc... It's a long trip and I want to make it completely worthwhile.

FYI, it's a 4 year Business Information Tech course W/ a placement.

Pretty sure this is the right place for this thread.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Paddythed
Hi all.

It's coming up to my open day at Bournemouth and I've made a few personal questions I need to ask whilst I'm there. But, amongst sixth form and being busy, I'm really struggling to think up important questions I should ask whilst I'm there. Anyone got any important questions you wish you'd ask, feel are important etc... It's a long trip and I want to make it completely worthwhile.

FYI, it's a 4 year Business Information Tech course W/ a placement.

Pretty sure this is the right place for this thread.

Thanks in advance

Ask some current students what the worst thing is about the course/uni...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true, but will be more like two things you love and two things you hate. thanks!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true, but will be more like two things you love and two things you hate. thanks!

Some of these questions may be answered in presentations etc, or you may already know the answers, but things I think are important to find out:

-How is the course assessed- not just the % of exams and coursework, but what type of exams, what type of assignments etc.

-If there are any modules (especially optional modules) that you are especially interested in, ask how long those modules have been running for, and if modules are likely to change if staff members change.

-Find out what support is available for students who are struggling. You may never need it, but it's good to know what's there if you do.

-Ask current students if they are/were happy with their first year accommodation, and about how easy/hard it has been to find somewhere to live for 2nd/3rd year.

-If there is a particular type of social activity/nightlife that matters to you, ask about this.

-For placements, find out how students are supported to find work placements, what sort of placements people do etc. If you can, try to get a realistic impression of placement years from students who have already completed their placement year.
Ditto what's written above.

I wish more students were as well prepared as you are - it's always a pleasure to see!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Some of these questions may be answered in presentations etc, or you may already know the answers, but things I think are important to find out:

-How is the course assessed- not just the % of exams and coursework, but what type of exams, what type of assignments etc.

-If there are any modules (especially optional modules) that you are especially interested in, ask how long those modules have been running for, and if modules are likely to change if staff members change.

-Find out what support is available for students who are struggling. You may never need it, but it's good to know what's there if you do.

-Ask current students if they are/were happy with their first year accommodation, and about how easy/hard it has been to find somewhere to live for 2nd/3rd year.

-If there is a particular type of social activity/nightlife that matters to you, ask about this.

-For placements, find out how students are supported to find work placements, what sort of placements people do etc. If you can, try to get a realistic impression of placement years from students who have already completed their placement year.

Thanks very much, exactly the sort of material needed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
Ditto what's written above.

I wish more students were as well prepared as you are - it's always a pleasure to see!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. After probably five hours of driving and having to go on the dreaded m25 I want to make the most of it
Indeed. After probably five hours of driving and having to go on the dreaded m25 I want to make the most of it

You'd be surprised how many students drive for five hours only to ask the most basic of questions which were clearly stated on the website!

Or indeed, how many students go to HE fairs and queue to ask university representatives such probing questions such as "do you offer English literature?" and "what are the entry requirements?" :face palm: If only they'd done done research, thought about it in advance, thought up some questions and made a list of unis they were interested in talking to, they'd get far more out of the experience. About 1 in every 500 students comes along with a clipboard full of questions to ask in sequence. They're bloody brilliant - clued up and making the most of the opportunity, though the clipboard isn't compulsory!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha well thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending