The Student Room Group

Coping with the loss of a parent as a 16 y/o...AMA

As the title says, I recently lost my mum. Talking about it does me good, and will help others too. I know there is already a sticky thread about bereavement but this is specifically for the loss of parents. Anyone else out there going through this hell? If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Here to support everyone xx

Scroll to see replies

I'm not going through this hell at the moment, but my condolences for your loss.
If there's one thing you'd like your mum to know, what would it be? :smile:
Original post by PalindromeGirl
As the title says, I recently lost my mum. Talking about it does me good, and will help others too. I know there is already a sticky thread about bereavement but this is specifically for the loss of parents. Anyone else out there going through this hell? If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Here to support everyone xx

Losing a loved one is really tough. I lost 3 of my grandparents quite close together… I'm sure everyone here will agree that it's awful :hugs: and I'm really sorry for your loss. I won't ask any questions because I'd feel insensitive but I will say that if you ever need to talk, you can always always PM me :hugs:
I'm sorry for your loss. How are you coping with your studies?

did you at least tell your mom you love her before she left this world?
what did you like best about your mom?
Original post by Hippysnake
I'm not going through this hell at the moment, but my condolences for your loss.

Thank you lovely xx

Original post by Student403
If there's one thing you'd like your mum to know, what would it be? :smile:

That she was flipping awesome and I appreciated her more than anyone on this planet. she was my true best friend. but she knew that :3 xx

Original post by iEthan
Losing a loved one is really tough. I lost 3 of my grandparents quite close together… I'm sure everyone here will agree that it's awful :hugs: and I'm really sorry for your loss. I won't ask any questions because I'd feel insensitive but I will say that if you ever need to talk, you can always always PM me :hugs:

Best wishes and love to you! And I'm sorry for your loss, it is so sad :frown: Thank you, that's so nice to know xx

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I'm sorry for your loss. How are you coping with your studies?

I've missed about a month of school in total but I'm still on track to get 3 As at AS level. Keeping busy is how I roll :smile: xx

Original post by thefatone
did you at least tell your mom you love her before she left this world?
what did you like best about your mom?

The last thing she ever told me was that she loved me, and she held my hand as she did. I told her I loved her too. I loved how beautiful she looked and how strong she was. xx
My dad passed when I was 9, I have no question but all I can say is keep talking to people about it and although nothing is ever the same again it does get easier in time.

Thank you lovely xx

That she was flipping awesome and I appreciated her more than anyone on this planet. she was my true best friend. but she knew that :3 xx

Best wishes and love to you! And I'm sorry for your loss, it is so sad :frown: Thank you, that's so nice to know xx

I've missed about a month of school in total but I'm still on track to get 3 As at AS level. Keeping busy is how I roll :smile: xx

The last thing she ever told me was that she loved me, and she held my hand as she did. I told her I loved her too. I loved how beautiful she looked and how strong she was. xx

Whoa! Go you!
Original post by claireestelle
My dad passed when I was 9, I have no question but all I can say is keep talking to people about it and although nothing is ever the same again it does get easier in time.

I am so sorry for you, know I'm always here to talk and to talk with someone who has been through the same thing is so helpful. Thank you xx

Whoa! Go you!

Haha thank you! I dropped a subject to stay on track but its no loss. HAPPINESS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN GRADES MY FRIEND x
I am so sorry for you, know I'm always here to talk and to talk with someone who has been through the same thing is so helpful. Thank you xx

Haha thank you! I dropped a subject to stay on track but its no loss. HAPPINESS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN GRADES MY FRIEND x

Agreed - good philosophy :yep:

What do you want to study?
Agreed - good philosophy :yep:

What do you want to study?

I actually dropped philosophy aha! Im studying French, English Lit and History. I want to do a degree in Eng+His then join the forces and start afresh :smile: x
I actually dropped philosophy aha! Im studying French, English Lit and History. I want to do a degree in Eng+His then join the forces and start afresh :smile: x

Interesting! I do a language too - very challenging for me :lol:

Join the forces? :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
I

Just entirely speculation but are you a utilitarian?
Interesting! I do a language too - very challenging for me :lol:

Join the forces? :redface:

Ahh which? :biggrin: yes for me too! yeah, its a chance to have a clean slate, and my boyfriend is joining this next year so forces = fun job and travelling the world with the person I love :smile:

NOoooOOOOoOoOOooooo i do philosophy ;( xD
Original post by thefatone
Just entirely speculation but are you a utilitarian?

I do like that philosophy but after losing my mum, ive realised my own mental health is too precious to ruin with stress of school and work :smile:

There's no need to be sorry, it was over 11 years ago he died now, still get some days where I really miss him like birthdays and Christmases but trying to remember the good times does really help. Everybody remembers people differently but I find looking at old photos and listening to my dad favourite songs really helps:smile:
Ahh which? :biggrin: yes for me too! yeah, its a chance to have a clean slate, and my boyfriend is joining this next year so forces = fun job and travelling the world with the person I love :smile:

Deutsch :3 I couldn't stand French as it was just too hard for me :afraid:

Fair enough! Sounds like a good plan :smile:

I admire your strength and courage to even make this thread. Wow! My question is, (I know you are still coping yourself so if it is too insensitive don't answer) what advice or words of comfort would you give to someone who has just experienced this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending