The Student Room Group

Would you report someone you saw cheating in exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozzyoscy
But they ARE reliant on other candidates, because you can see from all the posts in this thread that people do it. Plus, like the police, the invigilators are only in one place at one time (namely the exam hall or room during the exam), they can't know about any evidence before or after outside of their 'patrol'. Just like police.

That's not like police at all. If a crime is taking place, you can't always expect a police officer just to happen to be in the same room, so he can find out about it without anyone else reporting it. Whereas if cheating is taking place, you can always expect invigilators to be in the same room; they're specifically stationed there so that they can detect it even without anyone else having to report it.

So I don't see at as my duty to report cheating. I have better things to do (namely, my exam).
Original post by wdkmwd
People here acting like they haven't cheated before haha.

Look I'm not saying cheating is good or something people should do, but if you didn't understand something in a very crucial exam and you had the chance to ask a better prepared (not smarter) person for the answer you're telling me you wouldn't?

Original post by wdkmwd
And to all you folks going on about grade boundaries. If you studied hard enough and got a good grade, why would another person's grade affect you.

Person 1 : HEY I got an A*
Cheater : So did I, all thanks to Jim
Jim: A* as well

Everyone's happy :smile:

You're contradicting yourself. You don't believe there are people who've never cheated, yet at the end say it's ok because you can study hard enough and get a good grade. So then why would such a person need to cheat?

Study is study, that doesn't mean you can or should get 100% in everything, even at GCSE you can drop a few marks if you know everything. It's just 'tough' talk on forums from people who've never taken proper exams yet. GCSEs are easy, A Levels are slightly less easy, but to expect straight A*s first time is naive and meaningless.
Original post by tazarooni89
That's not like police at all. If a crime is taking place, you can't always expect a police officer just to happen to be in the same room, so he can find out about it without anyone else reporting it. Whereas if cheating is taking place, you can always expect invigilators to be in the same room; they're specifically stationed there so that they can detect it even without anyone else having to report it.

So I don't see at as my duty to report cheating. I have better things to do (namely, my exam).

So if a police officer is in the same area as a crime, you don't tell them.

If you see a crime, you feel it your duty to report it (contradicting the above), yet if you see the crime of cheating, stealing, plagiarism, fraud, you don't report it.

The more you try to defend yourself, the more all over the place you go, trying to counter one sentence at a time and forgetting the problem.

Being stubborn on the internet doesn't help you grow, and right now it's stopping you from making the choice you really want to: the morally correct and logical one. Now next time you see someone cheating, you're not gonna tell someone... not because that's your view, but just to spite that guy on the internet who asked about your contradictions.
(edited 8 years ago)
So if a police officer is in the same area as a crime, you don't tell them.

If they've been stationed there specifically to watch out for a specific crime, then why would I report anything to them if they were right there to see it for themselves anyway?

If you see a crime, you feel it your duty to report it (contradicting the above), yet if you see the crime of cheating, stealing, plagiarism, fraud, you don't report it.

I think it is my duty to report crimes to police officers who are not there to witness it for themselves. It is not my duty to report cheating to invigilators who are stationed there for the specific purpose of witnessing cheating, especially when I have my own exam to focus on.

How on earth you don't get the difference between the two situations, I have no idea. The invigilator has been stationed there for the sole purpose of detecting instances of cheating. This is not usually the case with police officers; most crimes do not occur right under their nose.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends how creative they are with the cheating
If they've been stationed there specifically to watch out for a specific crime, then why would I report anything to them if they were right there to see it for themselves anyway?

Wait, stop right there.

IF?

How long are you going to keep digging?. The more you write, the sillier and contradictory the things you say. How is it not clear to you now?
Wait, stop right there.

IF?

Yes, IF. Do you not know what the word "if" means?

How long are you going to keep digging?. The more you write, the sillier and contradictory the things you say. How is it not clear to you now?

Yeah okay. Run out of points of your own, and you're just left with "well your points are silly!". Great argument, that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Imo being a snitch is worse than cheating. **** a snitch

Yeah okay. Run out of points of your own, and you're just left with "well your points are silly!". Great argument, that.

Hasn't he ripped apart your argument enough already?

How long does someone have to talk to a brick wall before someone can't claim they've run out of points? Recite the bible long enough and you run out of passages lol.
Original post by Neverdie
Hasn't he ripped apart your argument enough already?

He's tried to, sure. Being successful is another matter.

I've made clear the difference between police officers and exam invigilators already, and every time he either ignores it or fails to recognise it, or calls it "silly". Not one instance of explaining why it's false.
He's tried to, sure. Being successful is another matter.

I've made clear the difference between police officers and exam invigilators already, and every time he either ignores it or fails to recognise it, or calls it "silly". Not one instance of explaining why it's false.

Why are you lying? Are you trying to convince me or yourself? We all have eyes, we can read you know.
Why are you lying? Are you trying to convince me or yourself? We all have eyes, we can read you know.

I'm not lying. As I said, I explained the difference between police officers and exam invigilators already. Look through this whole thread, and quote me any instance of anyone explaining why it's false. "You can read", but it seems that you haven't.
I'm not lying. As I said, I explained the difference between police officers and exam invigilators already. Look through this whole thread, and quote me any instance of anyone explaining why it's false. "You can read", but it seems that you haven't.

I'm just being honest with you here. You denying everything and saying out loud made up crap like this just makes people, such as the ones repping the guy and the ones not leaping to your defence, think you're a complete weirdo. No one is gonna read a post like the one I've just quoted and think "wow, that was a cool thing to say, this guy is awesome".

No, I do not know what 'if' means, great omniscient warrior. Please tell me, impart your great knowledge.

How convenient, I've run out of 'points'. I suppose this was long before you ever ran out, and no doubt you've now 'won' the 'argument' and I am thus 'butthurt' after being 'crushed' by your 'rebuttals'.
I'm just being honest with you here. You denying everything and saying out loud made up crap like this just makes people, such as the ones repping the guy and the ones not leaping to your defence, think you're a complete weirdo. No one is gonna read a post like the one I've just quoted and think "wow, that was a cool thing to say, this guy is awesome".

I asked you to provide a quote of something previously said in the thread that explains why my argument is false. You claimed that I'm "lying", so show me how I am.

Nobody is going to read a post like the one I've just quoted and think "Oh, he's made a valid point about reporting cheating in exams". (Which is the purpose of this thread, not being "cool" or "awesome".)
No, I do not know what 'if' means, great omniscient warrior. Please tell me, impart your great knowledge.

How convenient, I've run out of 'points'. I suppose this was long before you ever ran out, and no doubt you've now 'won' the 'argument' and I am thus 'butthurt' after being 'crushed' by your 'rebuttals'.

I'm starting to think you and "Neverdie" are the same poster lol... Both of you seem to have forgotten about the actual issue of reporting cheating in exams. Your posts are quite revealing of the fact that instead, you prioritise saving face in front of everyone, and not appearing to "lose an argument".

I explained why I personally wouldn't feel the need to report it, but I never suggested that it's wrong to do so, or that you shouldn't do it. So there really would have been no shame on your part in just accepting the explanation, rather than going through all this. Nobody would have thought any less of you for it.

If you really think posting on this thread is about proving who's "butthurt" and who isn't, then I'm afraid really don't have time for it. You can "win" if you like, whilst I continue to sit my own exams and mind my own business.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm starting to think you and "Neverdie" are the same poster lol... Both of you seem to have forgotten about the actual issue of reporting cheating in exams. Your posts are quite revealing of the fact that instead, you prioritise saving face in front of everyone, and not appearing to "lose an argument".

I explained why I personally wouldn't feel the need to report it, but I never suggested that it's wrong to do so, or that you shouldn't do it. So there really would have been no shame on your part in just accepting the explanation, rather than going through all this. Nobody would have thought any less of you for it.

If you really think posting on this thread is about proving who's "butthurt" and who isn't, then I'm afraid really don't have time for it. You can "win" if you like, whilst I continue to sit my own exams and mind my own business.

I've no reason to read this. Keyboard warrior confirmed.
I've no reason to read this.

Then you've no reason to reply to it either.
Then you've no reason to reply to it either.

no reason to read this
no reason to read this

God, this is so immature. You really just want nothing more than to be the last person to post in this conversation? :s-smilie:

Okay if it means that much to you, go ahead, reply to me again saying "no reason to read this" or whatever you like, and I won't reply. Congratulations on being so awesome and definitely not at all "butthurt".
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest