The Student Room Group

What's your go to bulking meal?

Hey people.

I'm looking for meal/food ideas to crush some serious calories. I'm trying to gain weight from 80-95kg roughly. Obviously I realise this will take a fair while but I have about a year I want to dedicate to this goal.

Since hitting ~80kg I found that I wasn't adding weight on a continuous basis unless I was eating around 4500-5000 calories a day. My problem is my appetite is shockingly poor.

When doing a bit of reading on Oly lifters nutrition I saw a quote which basically says "if you don't feel like a fat pig when trying to gain weight then you're doing it wrong." I get that. But I struggle massively to eat over 3500 in a day.

Do you have any go to meals/snacks that allow you to sink some serious calories without making you feel like youre a balloon?

Thanks for reading.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Add NatLifts on Myfitnesspal and you can see how I eat over 3500 cals a day.

Each morning i will have a 800-1000 cal shake which can consist of 500ml milk, 2 scoops whey (50g), 2 bananas, 2 tbsp peanut butter and 250ml of icecream, although sometimes i leave the icecream.

Instant noodles (koka curry or beef flavour) + 200g cooked chicken breast is one of my favourites. - 740 cals

That or a £1 chicken fajita pizza from Iceland. Roll it up, takes about 5 minutes to eat.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think high calorie shakes are an excellent way to bulk. If you drink your calories, you'll be able to get a lot more down you.
Original post by SlipperyJohn
Hey people.

I'm looking for meal/food ideas to crush some serious calories. I'm trying to gain weight from 80-95kg roughly. Obviously I realise this will take a fair while but I have about a year I want to dedicate to this goal.

Since hitting ~80kg I found that I wasn't adding weight on a continuous basis unless I was eating around 4500-5000 calories a day. My problem is my appetite is shockingly poor.

When doing a bit of reading on Oly lifters nutrition I saw a quote which basically says "if you don't feel like a fat pig when trying to gain weight then you're doing it wrong." I get that. But I struggle massively to eat over 3500 in a day.

Do you have any go to meals/snacks that allow you to sink some serious calories without making you feel like youre a balloon?

Thanks for reading.

Something full of carbs and protein that I think is really tasty is to make a pasta with tomato sauce, a tin of tuna, a tin of cannellini beans and melted cheese on top. Minus the cheese if you want low fat. But a big bowl of that is brimming with calories.
Drink milkshakes with oats in easy peasy calories
Thanks for the replies.

I am in agreement that shakes are probably the way forward. I need to experiment a bit with what to put in. Thinking almond butter, ground oats, greek yoghurt, whey and the like. Something I can just crush in the morning.
Just whatever I fancy. Never have to force-feed myself on a bulk, I love eating :biggrin:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Just whatever I fancy. Never have to force-feed myself on a bulk, I love eating :biggrin:

Such envy. Endless envy.
I grill up some turkey breasts, boil up some pasta, cover them with pesto and shove them in my fat mouth. I also concur that shakes are the way forward.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Such envy. Endless envy.

I envy you guys as well, sucks still having to show some restraint while bulking lest I consume 5000 a day and end up like a fat-house :rofl: Sorta miss the days when I'd struggle to hit my 2700 a day target, and I used to wonder why I'd never put on any weight beforehand :lol: Cutting is such a bitch these days...
Original post by Supersaps
I think high calorie shakes are an excellent way to bulk. If you drink your calories, you'll be able to get a lot more down you.

Original post by Angry cucumber
Drink milkshakes with oats in easy peasy calories

They definitely are however I do ate the grainy taste left in your mouth with oats in your shake :frown:

Damn, wish I felt like that... Always been ectomorph. I don't know why I kind of hate bulking and :heart: cutting more guess I've been in a caloric deficit for ages until I started tracking. :tongue:
I envy you guys as well, sucks still having to show some restraint while bulking lest I consume 5000 a day and end up like a fat-house :rofl: Sorta miss the days when I'd struggle to hit my 2700 a day target, and I used to wonder why I'd never put on any weight beforehand :lol: Cutting is such a bitch these days...

I'm on 2400 surplus weight still going up :P and I feel bloated just hate hitting calories ... idk how people manage 4000-5000 calories. :gasp:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
They definitely are however I do ate the grainy taste left in your mouth with oats in your shake :frown:

Damn, wish I felt like that... Always been ectomorph. I don't know why I kind of hate bulking and :heart: cutting more guess I've been in a caloric deficit for ages until I started tracking. :tongue:

I don't really believe in somatotypes other than classification by bone structure, but yeah, I was always the skinny guy that apparently ate loads but only really "grazed" on snacks all day and never ate much at all by way of calories :lol:
According to my fitbit I burn around 4000 calories a day. I've suspected this was the case as I before when I was bulking I gained only when I was consistently eating 4500 calories or more in a day.

If I were to track the calories I eat by feeling I would probably only hit around 2500-2750 on hungry days. Massively envious of anyone who can easily put away 4000-5000 calories without feeling like you've eaten a small whale.
Kraft Mac N Cheese
Tuna
Pint of whole fat org milk

Quick and easy for students, 200g carbs, 70g protein, 1800 calories, £2 all in.
Original post by jackbuddyolboy
Kraft Mac N Cheese
Tuna
Pint of whole fat org milk

Quick and easy for students, 200g carbs, 70g protein, 1800 calories, £2 all in.

Please don't resurrect dead threads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest