The Student Room Group

Scared of a University long distance relationship...

I understand that there are already threads about long distance relationships that I could read but I would like a more personal response.
(Slightly irrelevant background information) I have been best friends with this girl for the last 3 years. We have both had feelings for eachother for the whole time but kept it a secret until recently. We finally told eachother and in the last couple of months we have decided to finally get into a relationship. This is the happiest I have been in years and the relationship is going amazing.
The only problem is that in 7 months we are both going to different University's resulting in us being a 4 hours drive away from eachother. Does anybody have any personal experience with a long distance relationship while in University? I really want to make this relationship work, but am I being too optimistic?
If your realationship is how you say it is, then you should be able to trust your girl and she should be able to trust you.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I understand that there are already threads about long distance relationships that I could read but I would like a more personal response.
(Slightly irrelevant background information) I have been best friends with this girl for the last 3 years. We have both had feelings for eachother for the whole time but kept it a secret until recently. We finally told eachother and in the last couple of months we have decided to finally get into a relationship. This is the happiest I have been in years and the relationship is going amazing.
The only problem is that in 7 months we are both going to different University's resulting in us being a 4 hours drive away from eachother. Does anybody have any personal experience with a long distance relationship while in University? I really want to make this relationship work, but am I being too optimistic?

It's really hard to be in a long distance relationship. But 4 hrs away is not really that far. You can find, let say during weekend, to be with each other. There are many others whose miles away.
Imo relationships rarely survive a complete cycle of uni. Part of going to uni imo is meeting new people and being free to date.
If you are realistic then see how it goes, even if it lasts a year thats great and theres always social media/ skype. You can always pick it up again after, just dont go all drama queen or controlling about it. keep tlaking to each other, be honest and youll be able to keep it going if thats what you both want.

In an LDR situation like so atm. You could message me if you want to know anything?
Some relationships do survive uni, some don't. It depends how bad you both and it and how much effort and work you put into the relationship.
Reply 6
Original post by ellej93
It's really hard to be in a long distance relationship. But 4 hrs away is not really that far. You can find, let say during weekend, to be with each other. There are many others whose miles away.

I think 4 hours is far!
Reply 7
I think this is a little premature, its 7 months away yet and you should be focusing on being happy and in the moment with her right now. If in 7 months you are still together and feel as committed to it as you are now, you can make it work and figure it out then.
One girl I know was with her boyfriend for 2 years and then cheated in the first week of Fresher's. That's university for you
One girl I know was with her boyfriend for 2 years and then cheated in the first week of Fresher's. That's university for you

Omg one girl you know did that?! Omg that must mean everybody will do that!!!!!

OP: 7 months is a long time who knows what will happen between now and then. Most relationships dont make it through uni because it is an age and environment which encourages change in people. However this does not mean to say it wont work, just that you need to be aware that it will be hard at times and probably wont work in the long run but that doesnt mean it definitely wont work.

I'd been with my boyfriend for a year before uni. He's now finishing 2nd year - it is possible!! It's hard work but you can facetime and call remember. It is nice spending like one weekend together then 1 weekend with friends having definite time with each. If you want to do it, you can. I dreaded it for months before but just make sure you have the best relationship now so you both go to uni super super strong!!! :smile:
I'm in a long distance relationship, and I think it's as simple as: If you want it to work, it'll work.
Try not to get too stressed about it, if you both can't bear the thought of being with anybody else, then you'll get through it. If it's too much for you to handle then that's fine too, it's definitely not for everybody, and I think that if you really can't make it work then maybe it just wasn't mean to be. Make time for eachother each day and make sure to plan ahead, it makes it a lot easier to know you're seeing them soon, and looking forward to it together should bring you closer :smile:
Reply 12
My girlfriend is currently at uni a 8 hour plane ride away and we're doing great. A four hour drive is nothing, you can easily see each other regularly on the weekends and stuff. Even going to join them for a night in the middle of the week if something special is going on wouldn't be impossible.
If you have trust it will work however you will have your other half dancing with other people, cuddling them, and quite possibly if very drunk kissing them. LDRs at a young age at univeristy are very difficult. There's not a formula that works, it's just luck I think if you meet new people or not.
Me and my boyfriend are in a similar situation. He moved to Manchester Univeristy in September. But I'm still in college in Derby (2hours). People are saying 4 hours away isn't far but it really is. It costs money and you both have to be free. I admit it is incredibly hard and we have had so many arguments. About trust and other things... but if you truly love the person then distance shouldn't matter. The feeling you get when you finally get to see them is amazing. I hope everything works well... goos luck.
was in the same position as you we were best friends for three years adn then relationship for two. my ex said he wanted it to work bla bla then third week into uni he turns around and says he wants to sleep with other people and we broke up. people change at uni.
This thread is over 2 years old so I am locking it.

Latest

Trending

Trending