The Student Room Group

Maintenance grant help

Hi,

I was wondering if you are entitled to the maintenance grant while on a placement? I submitted my 2016/2017 application and my entitlement summary only has a Maintenance Loan listened of £2900 which is lower than the loan I currently receive, I'm very confused :frown:
Original post by 1251
Hi,

I was wondering if you are entitled to the maintenance grant while on a placement? I submitted my 2016/2017 application and my entitlement summary only has a Maintenance Loan listened of £2900 which is lower than the loan I currently receive, I'm very confused :frown:

Is it a paid placement year ?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Is it a paid placement year ?

I don't know yet, I haven't secured a placement.
Original post by 1251
I don't know yet, I haven't secured a placement.

If its paid you will only get a reduced maintenance loan and reduced tuition fee loan and generally unless it counts as an unpaid service placement, the same is true if you werent getting paid.
Reply 4
If its paid you will only get a reduced maintenance loan and reduced tuition fee loan and generally unless it counts as an unpaid service placement, the same is true if you werent getting paid.

But I'll be working or studying abroad and all of the final years and placement advisors I've spoken to say we receive higher student finance to accommodate for the increased cost of living abroad, hence why I'm confused... Is erasmus completely different to student finance? Maybe that's what they were talking about
Original post by 1251
But I'll be working or studying abroad and all of the final years and placement advisors I've spoken to say we receive higher student finance to accommodate for the increased cost of living abroad, hence why I'm confused... Is erasmus completely different to student finance? Maybe that's what they were talking about

Oh i see (sorry i thought you meant it was in the uk), if your placement year is abroad the funding is different so yeah you should get higher funding. Give sfe a call as it seems there's been some confusion somewhere.
Reply 6
Oh i see (sorry i thought you meant it was in the uk), if your placement year is abroad the funding is different so yeah you should get higher funding. Give sfe a call as it seems there's been some confusion somewhere.

Okay I will do, thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by 1251

If you are doing erasmus then the funding is different to a placement year in the UK, yes. You also get an Erasmus grant I believe.
I'm not too clued up on Erasmus I'm afraid. I've just had a quick look on Google and found [url=
http://www.ed.ac.uk/international-office/exchanges/finances/erasmus-grant]this [url=
http://www.thirdyearabroad.com/before-you-go/money-matters/item/1020-erasmus-funding.html]this may be of some use as well.

Your uni should be able to advise you more on this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello there!

I may be able to provide some information, about as suggested, the best people to call in this case are SFE or your universities finance office.

Now, if your doing a full year ERASMUS study abroad year , to the best of my knoweldge, you'll be entitled to:

1. £1350/- funding of Tuition Fees
2. Overseas rate of Maintenance Loan - upto about £6,820 (starting at approx. £4,400)
3. Potentially, a Travel Grant - covering public travel expenses (Max three coach air tickets for a full year), after you have spent at least £303.

To bear in mind, that ERASMUS funding is means tested, meaning that SFE will take into account your household income.

So, do you mind sharing with us where in Europe you have the pleasure of studying in? Very Jealous :biggrin:

P.S: Do bear in mind that ERASMUS is Europe Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students, and therefore only counts for study abroad, not work placement abroad, from what I know.
Original post by darloviking
P.S: Do bear in mind that ERASMUS is Europe Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students, and therefore only counts for study abroad, not work placement abroad, from what I know.

I am on my work Erasmus and get the full SFE amount (around £8000ish) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending