The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Yes i do because from an islamic perspective we are told this, and the way i have evidence for this is the Quran and its long winded to get into a debate about proving this especially over written text,

The Quran is not evidence, it's circular reasoning and no better than using the Harry Potter books to prove Hogwarts exists. Next.

knowing an outcome doesnt nullify anything its like a teacher giving you the option saying you can either get a grade C knowing she believes this is the easiest option for you or you can sit a test in the hope of getting a better grade, if a person who has free will chooses the latter how can someone then complain about the outcome.

It does nullify the test. Your teacher can have a very good idea that you may end up with a C, but he/she does not know that with 100%, absolute certainty. If he/she did then it would be entirely pointless and irrelevant to set a test because they would know the results of the test in advance, meaning it wasn't a test! i.e. a task to gauge your abilities in a certain field.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alexion
Can someone pull this apart for me? I literally can't even right now.

@Plantagenet Crown @Hydeman @Peroxidation

It's incoherent babble... I couldn't pull this apart even if I could be bothered. :sigh:
Original post by huddledapple
Sorry if this has already been discussed, I skipped to page 15. I don't see how you can use the argument 'humans are so complex and amazing that they can't just come out of nowhere!' - when you are literally saying that humans were created by another being even MORE complex and amazing (if they supposedly have the ability to CREATE THE UNIVERSE). So where did they come from? How can they possibly exist without being created by something else? If you believe that a God can exist independently of anything else, then why is so bizarre that humans and planets can exist independently of anything else?

And this is where theists usually resort to Special Pleading: "Everything complex needs a creator, except God!"
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The Quran is not evidence, it's circular reasoning and no better than using the Harry Potter books to prove Hogwarts exists. Next.

It does nullify the test. Your teacher can have a very good idea that you may end up with a C, but he/she does not know that with 100%, absolute certainty. If he/she did then it would be entirely pointless and irrelevant to set it a test because you would know the results of the test in advance, meaning it wasn't a test! i.e. a task to gauge your abilities in a certain field.

First point how can science over 1400 years ago that in that time wasnt even discovered by a man be accurate and validated TODAY?

No because youre missing the point, we have free will and we chose to do the test regardless if knowing or not knowing the outcome, we were given the choice not forced to. Im not going to get into a religious argument with you because its tedious and points wont be given justice over the Internet.
Original post by Tahira__
If we are not complex, then I would like to see anyone try to come up with something more great then a human being
You wouldn't be able to do that, or if you even tried to
You wouldn't be able to do it without using gods creation anyway

Easy, we're ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
First point how can science over 1400 years ago that in that time wasnt even discovered by a man be accurate and validated TODAY?

The Quran contains no such science, that's the point. Besides, I'd rather not get into the debate about the so-called scientific miracles of the Qur'an, it's been done to death and this thread isn't the place for it.

No because youre missing the point, we have free will and we chose to do the test regardless if knowing or not knowing the outcome, we were given the choice not forced to. Im not going to get into a religious argument with you because its tedious and points wont be given justice over the Internet.

You're simply stringing words together into phrases that don't actually mean anything or resolve the issue. If God knows the choices you make before you're born then you cannot make any other decision therefore nullifying free will as well as making a test void. All that's required is omniscience, God doesn't need to be physically forcing you to do certain actions.
Reply 306
Similarly to the above post by Chris-Graham. Many, if not most individuals only believe in God because the idea of God and the afterlife was reinforced during childhood - to the extent where their parents beliefs became their own beliefs.
Personally, I don't mind the concept of God but I don't believe that 'God' would set certain standards for his/her/its followers to abide by and that God would condemn certain individuals purely because they don't believe in the same faith or are gay or divorced etc.
What I do dislike is organised religion. Through my own experiences, I've witnessed people after people saying that they can't do something like eat pork or be in a relationship because their religion condemns it but when I've asked why they don't know the actual reason.
The younger generations are essentially brainwashed by the older generation and few would question their beliefs. Thankfully, some are questioning their beliefs and although they haven't lost faith; it's nice to see that they're not believing everything that is said to them.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The Quran contains no such science, that's the point. Besides, I'd rather not get into the debate about the so-called scientific miracles of the Qur'an, it's been done to death and this thread isn't the place for it.

You're simply stringing words together into phrases that don't actually mean anything or resolve the issue. If God knows the choices you make before you're born then you cannot make any other decision therefore nullifying free will as well as making a test void. All that's required is omniscience, God doesn't need to be physically forcing you to do certain actions.

No such science? Human embryology? roots of mountains? Cosmology and the universe at one point being nothing but a cloud of "smoke". People like yourself have probably never read the Quran yet still think they can have some sort of informed opinion on the science in the Quran. How can you comment about the technicalities of something youve never read?
No such science? Human embryology? roots of mountains? Cosmology and the universe at one point being nothing but a cloud of "smoke". People like yourself have probably never read the Quran yet still think they can have some sort of informed opinion on the science in the Quran. How can you comment about the technicalities of something youve never read?

As I say, they've all been refuted and much of that is wrong, this isn't a thread for that topic.

Don't make baseless accusations, I have read the Qur'an.

All of this goading us to read the Quran...

With arguments as flawed as yours, I would be trying to keep the Quran to myself to be honest.
image.jpg

We don't see the world in pixels, thus your point is invalid.
It's really funny how militant atheists try so hard to prove GOD does not exist.
Original post by slade p
It's really funny how militant atheists try so hard to prove GOD does not exist.

As in it's very obvious he does not.

Well I think the 'trying so hard' is pretty justified given all the suffering and atrocities in our world that are a direct result of belief in God....
Original post by slade p

We don't.

And we don't need to.

The lack of evidence that he does is proof enough.

Why do atheists not believe in God?
well, an atheist who did believe in God would be a very poor atheist

we would expel him from the club straight away
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mariachi

Fortunately (or unfortunately) we don't really have a well-defined apostasy law for atheism. It could just be the equivalent of tutting and moving on - with the occasional pointing out the flaws of their new-found beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chemting
we don't really have a well-defined apostasy law for atheism
we could of course develop one...we could e.g. inspire ourselves from shariah

let's say, atheists who decide to believe in God might be given three days to think it over, while our scholars explain them their errors... after which male apostates who refuse to repent would be killed, while female apostates would be imprisoned and flogged regularly until they "see the light"

this, in any case, for Hanafi atheists - but other atheist legal schools may regulate apostasy differently

best
Original post by mariachi

Would they get to keep their complimentary copy of The God Delusion?
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Would they get to keep their complimentary copy of The God Delusion?
tough question .... those scoundrels may resort to burning the book, or defiling it in various manners... so no, I would say that, right before being punished, they would have to give it back

Latest

Trending

Trending