The Student Room Group

No new school uniform

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by hannxhc
Oh how I wish I had your uniform.

I have to wear a blazer, shirt, tie, jumper, kilt and thick black tights. All year.

Ouch I could not do that would hate it so much
Original post by hannxhc
Oh how I wish I had your uniform.

I have to wear a blazer, shirt, tie, jumper, kilt and thick black tights. All year.

That sounds brutal for summer. Winter uniform here is the same, not sure if you wear kilted skirt or if it's like ours and a proper Scottish Kilt, but seniors can wear uniform green or regular tights as they wish. Sometimes in the winter those thick tights are a blessing! Just another week till I can put my kilt aside for almost ever since it will only get an airing for our end of term/leavers ceremony. In between times it's still Blazers but at least we wear lighter weight kilted skirts and open neck shirts for the warmer weather - after Easter break until end of Oct hols. It's tough for the 1-4th years though as they have to wear the green tights all year while the junior school at least get to wear ankle socks.

Yours sounds a bit like a portable sauna!
Original post by morgan8002
Are you sure? It's mostly just secondary schools in the UK that insist on this. Primary schools and sixth forms in secondary schools very rarely do. Colleges and universities don't as far as I'm aware. Considering secondary school is the worst section in terms of education, I don't see how formal attire improves education.

I was required to wear business wear aged 4-18 and went to two of the best performing schools in the areas! It helps aid in focus, which by the time you begin university you should be adequately trained in
I wore the proposed uniform to school for years - varying slightly upon age (then in 6th form we wore suits)

It was fine by me, it looks smart etc etc - most people will have to wear suits when they work anyway
Original post by super_kawaii
I was required to wear business wear aged 4-18 and went to two of the best performing schools in the areas! It helps aid in focus, which by the time you begin university you should be adequately trained in

Some nice anecdotal experience there. If you take the schools in the closest 10 towns and villages to where I grew up as a sample, there's no correlation between performance and uniform if you take into account private schools are more likely to have a formal uniform. I'd like to see the data for a large random sample of schools.
I find the idea that uncomfortable clothing improves focus strange. Do you have anything to back this up? I'm not quite sure what you mean by trained in focus.
Reply 65
Original post by morgan8002
Some nice anecdotal experience there. If you take the schools in the closest 10 towns and villages to where I grew up as a sample, there's no correlation between performance and uniform if you take into account private schools are more likely to have a formal uniform. I'd like to see the data for a large random sample of schools.
I find the idea that uncomfortable clothing improves focus strange. Do you have anything to back this up? I'm not quite sure what you mean by trained in focus.

This is my exact point surely uniform like my schools is much more practical than suits
Suits are over the top practical uniforms are polo shirts and jumpers
Also I wear jumper polo shirt uniform to school and I wear vans as school shoes
Original post by Tomj200
My teacher is cool she came at Christmas and said this school is much better than the old school she was at where half the time was uniform checks she advised my head teacher like loads of teachers not to bring in a new uniform and he agreed and thought it was a stupid idea after all

Agreed yer and agreed about strict Uniform at struggling Schools!
My father said I looked nice wearing grey corduroy shorts and I thought I did too.
Original post by DiddyDec
You should count yourself lucky. I had to wear grey corduroy shorts at school till the age of 13, all year round.

My father said I looked nice wearing grey corduroy shorts and I think I did too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending