The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheRealOutsider
Now, this is interesting. I noticed how several people say that Pansexuality is 'Fake'.

It's not exactly a physical attribute, rather a mental one. Thereby, No, it is not 'fake' if people believe it to be real.

To give you a brief ideology of my point; a portion of teenagers self-diagnose themselves with mental health illnesses-- the smaller portion do actually suffer from such mental illnesses; however, the greater portion, do not. They mix it up with other variables such as worry; however, not being accommodated with such issues and how to resolve them, they label it as a mental illness.

That said, it can be real, or it can not be real-- depends on your personal perception.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm sure you know who they're attracted to better than they do.
Pansexuality is just a label for the way an individual or group of individuals feels, sexuality is a spectrum and this is a word that people feel represents their attraction to others, why would it be any less valid that heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality etc.?
Who cares really, I could make something up now that says I'm sexually attracted to post OP, man to woman who have had a kidney transplant from a woman and have no legs.
Original post by mkap
i dont know what pansexuality is but if its an actual thing why would it be fake? we can really say anything about whether its fake or not as we havnt experienced it.

Original post by Blondie987
Bisexuality is the attraction to both binary genders (male and female)Pan sexuality is the attraction to people regardless of genderHope this helps!

Original post by thefatone

I think you quoted me from another thread?
Original post by Blondie987
I think you quoted me from another thread?

yus
Original post by thefatone
yus

Can I ask why? :smile:
Pansexuality is just another word for bisexuality.
It's just a pretentious word for "bisexual(ity)". There are only two genders, regardless of what the special snowflake Tumblinas think.
Original post by MildredMalone
It's just a pretentious word for "bisexual(ity)". There are only two genders, regardless of what the special snowflake Tumblinas think.

so what gender is someone who is intersex?
Original post by Aghareza
Not if people believe it enough.
A portion of teenagers self-diagnose themselves with mental health issues-- a smaller portion do actually suffer from such mental illnesses; however, the greater portion, do not. That said, it can be real or it can not be real-- depends on your perception.

Not sure what pansexuality has to do with mental illness...
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Pansexuality relies entirely on genders other than male and female existing, which is... dubious.

"Fake" isn't the word I'd use for it. More of a pointless phrase really, bisexuality was a totally okay way of saying you don't care about gender until people decided they wanted to totally detach themselves from human biology altogether and claim to be neither male or female, or some other weird crap.

Yeah because intersex people don't exist...

Nothing wrong with being non-binary or gender variant. I don't understand how people can still think of gender as a binary.
Original post by Bad Faith

It was a brief comparison to give her/him an idea of what my point is.
Original post by lolakirk
Pansexuality is just another word for bisexuality.

Not really. Pansexuality is the about the attraction to people rather than genders, and in being pansexual you acknowledge that there are people who aren't strictly male or female.
Yeah because intersex people don't exist...

Nothing wrong with being non-binary or gender variant. I don't understand how people can still think of gender as a binary.

Gender variant means genderfluidity I presume? I'm still unsure how I really feel about that one.

The fact that gender was initially conceived as a binary was 'cause it was effectively based on the physical differences between blokes and the womenz. Changing where you are on that binary is chill with me (although as I said, changing it on a near-weekly basis is one I'm unsure about), but once you start claiming you're something outside of it you're effectively identifying as something outside of biological possibility.

Effectively, you're usually born with the sex of a male, female, or in rare cases something in-between. Some people feel "born in the wrong body" or whatever, decide they want to be something else, that fixes their issues, that's all fine. When you start claiming you don't want to be any of these things it just leads me to go "well wtf are you then" as in effect you're identifying as something that cannot really exist.

When I've tried to get to the bottom of this for myself people have usually come up with something about gender roles, which are pretty irrelevant. I've yet to find any tangible argument for identifying as more or less none-human that makes any kind of sense.
Not really. Pansexuality is the about the attraction to people rather than genders, and in being pansexual you acknowledge that there are people who aren't strictly male or female.

1, Everybody is attracted to people rather than genders. No heterosexual woman looks at some random hobo on the street and think: GENDER: MALE!!! I am attracted!! It's a male!!!!

2, So you have to be pansexual to acknowledge that there are people who aren't male or female?
Labels are whatever you make them to be.

If a person chooses to label their sexual orientation as "pansexual," it isn't fake because that's their sexual orientation.

New labels aren't a result of being a "special snowflake" so much as trying to find a box to fit yourself in as per society's request when the sexuality spectrum is so varied - "pansexuality," to my knowledge, was produced because people felt bisexuality only encompassed male and females ("bi" meaning two) and excluded those who didn't fit into the binary.

However I have a friend who is bisexual despite being willing to be involved with people outside of the binary - she likes the label bisexual, so she uses that. I call myself queer (which can be controversial, depending on who you ask) but the closest label I could identify with is pansexual and, for me, that merely means gender doesn't really factor into my attraction to someone.

I was wondering where that connection came from myself, to be honest. :erm:
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending