The Student Room Group

University of melbourne or uk universities?

Hi, I got offer letters from University of Melbourne, University of Manchester and City University London (Cass Business School). I am interested in doing finance course but I am not sure which university should I go to. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Commerce
University of Manchester - Accounting and finance
City University London - Investment and financial risk management

Melbourne Uni is Australia's top university but as compared to Uni of Manchester which is quite reputable for its finance course and also Cass business school which is one of the top UK business schools, I am not sure how to choose.

I personally think that studying in London would help me better as London is the world's leading international financial centre. But talking about the rankings, Melbourne Uni has the highest world ranking among these three choices followed by Uni of Manchester and City Uni London.

Please help! Thanks!
Studying in London is really helpful as you can attend loads of free networking events to increase your network and get to know people in the business. Manchester and Cass are both Semi-targets whereas Melbourne doesn't come on the UK list so unsure in terms of UK banks how they would view this unfortunately. Personally I would go to Cass due to the location and it's increasing ties to the business. :smile:
I've got a friend who has been in Melbourne for the last year (after growing up near London, going to uni in Birmingham, then living in France for 8 years, Italy for 2 and travelling all over Asia for a year) and she adores it so much that she is extending her visa there and hoping to live there forever. I know Uni is important for your career, but don't forget that life is also happening so your lifestyle outside of uni and work should be a big factor in where you choose :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by acontium
Studying in London is really helpful as you can attend loads of free networking events to increase your network and get to know people in the business. Manchester and Cass are both Semi-targets whereas Melbourne doesn't come on the UK list so unsure in terms of UK banks how they would view this unfortunately. Personally I would go to Cass due to the location and it's increasing ties to the business. :smile:

Thank you for your reply. As you know Cass is semi-target, would it be difficult for graduates to get a job in UK? Because it's hard to compete with the students from target universities such as LSE, Warwick and UCL.
Reply 4
Original post by chamonixgemma
I've got a friend who has been in Melbourne for the last year (after growing up near London, going to uni in Birmingham, then living in France for 8 years, Italy for 2 and travelling all over Asia for a year) and she adores it so much that she is extending her visa there and hoping to live there forever. I know Uni is important for your career, but don't forget that life is also happening so your lifestyle outside of uni and work should be a big factor in where you choose :smile:

Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. I personally like fast paced city that's why I think London is suitable for me. I have never been to Melbourne so I am not sure about the lifestyle there but I would like to know more about it so I can make a wise decision.
Original post by jane_tw
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. I personally like fast paced city that's why I think London is suitable for me. I have never been to Melbourne so I am not sure about the lifestyle there but I would like to know more about it so I can make a wise decision.

This will be super super biased! But my flatmate is from there and he said the pace of life is very different but he enjoys London and back home so unsure! You will never know either till you do it to be honest :smile:
Original post by jane_tw
Thank you for your reply. As you know Cass is semi-target, would it be difficult for graduates to get a job in UK? Because it's hard to compete with the students from target universities such as LSE, Warwick and UCL.

Hm at the top investment houses etc it is definitely more difficult! But if you have done exceptionally well in your degree you can still get it just fine :smile: Targets just make it much easier haha! (Much easier in a relative sense of course!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending