The Student Room Group

Does this count as having been in local authority care?

I was in my local council's care for about a week when my mum was recovering from an operation.

Is this sufficient enough to put down on the UCAS app as having been in 'local authority care'?

Is it more like, 'Yes, technically that's correct, though it's not what the scheme was intended for, but technically you can put it down'?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I was in my local council's care for about a week when my mum was recovering from an operation.

Is this sufficient enough to put down on the UCAS app as having been in 'local authority care'?

Is it more like, 'Yes, technically that's correct, though it's not what the scheme was intended for, but technically you can put it down'?

No that's not long enough really
Original post by claireestelle

That's what I had suspected.

But I couldn't find anything saying it had to be for any certain amount of time.

If you could point me towards something that says that, that would be awesome.

If there is no official time requirement though, then I will put it down anyway.
Reply 3

Original post by Abstract_Prism
That's what I had suspected.

But I couldn't find anything saying it had to be for any certain amount of time.

If you could point me towards something that says that, that would be awesome.

If there is no official time requirement though, then I will put it down anyway.

For the "Have you been in care" question on UCAS there are the following options for "Duration in Care":
Less than a week
1 week - 3 months
3 months - 1 year
1 year to 3 years
3 years or more

So you can select "Yes" and then indicate the duration :smile:

What is your source for this?

I do school admissions appeals and although this precise situation would not count (for school admissions purposes a previous period in care has to end in a Residence Order, guardianship or adoption), I would certainly use a week in care as a baby to get a child to the front of a school admissions queue at 11 or 16.

This is what Trent says on the subject:-

When applying to university, the UCAS application form asks you if you have spent any time in care - even if it's just one day. If you say 'yes', you will not be labelled or judged and it will not affect your chances of success. This will simply help us to see which applicants may benefit from hearing a bit more about the range of support at NTU for care leavers (and people in care who are thinking of coming to University in the future).
Original post by nulli tertius
What is your source for this?

I do school admissions appeals and although this precise situation would not count (for school admissions purposes a previous period in care has to end in a Residence Order, guardianship or adoption), I would certainly use a week in care as a baby to get a child to the front of a school admissions queue at 11 or 16.

This is what Trent says on the subject:-

I believe SLC have 3 months+ in care after 16 as the criteria to be an independent student.
Original post by jneill
For the "Have you been in care" question on UCAS there are the following options for "Duration in Care":
Less than a week
1 week - 3 months
3 months - 1 year
1 year to 3 years
3 years or more

So you can select "Yes" and then indicate the duration :smile:

JNeil is following the guidance note, which the OP can read as well. I'm surprised they think a period as low as a week is relevant as I thought theyd only be interested in children actually having been in real care or in the full care system. Seems lame to me, but follow the gudiance note.
Reply 7
I believe SLC have 3 months+ in care after 16 as the criteria to be an independent student.

Yes but the "care" flag is not just used by the SLC. It can help with university admissions decisions too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes but the "care" flag is not just used by the SLC. It can help with university admissions decisions too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are on point.

On a side issue and as you seem to know what the guidance notes say, can you tell me what the one relating to disclosure of a criminal record says about relevant offences? I just need to see the actual note to clear up an earlier query. Don't need an explanation. Thanks.
Original post by 999tigger
You are on point.

On a side issue and as you seem to know what the guidance notes say, can you tell me what the one relating to disclosure of a criminal record says about relevant offences? I just need to see the actual note to clear up an earlier query. Don't need an explanation. Thanks.

Kent says

What is a relevant criminal conviction?
Relevant criminal offences include convictions, cautions, admonitions, reprimands, final warnings, bind over orders or similar involving one or more of the following:

Any kind of violence including (but not limited to) threatening behaviour, offences concerning the intention to harm or offences which resulted in actual bodily harm

Offences listed in the Sex Offences Act 2003

The unlawful supply of controlled drugs or substances where the conviction concerns commercial drug dealing or trafficking

Offences involving firearms

Offences involving arson

Offences listed in the Terrorism Act 2006.

If your conviction involved an offence similar to those set out above, but was made by a court outside of Great Britain, and that conviction would not be considered as spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, you should declare it as you would any other unspent conviction.

Warnings, penalty notices for disorder (PNDs), anti-social behaviour orders (ASBOs) or violent offender orders (VOOs) are not classed as convictions for the purpose of this section, unless you have contested a PND or breached the terms of an ASBO or VOO and this has resulted in a criminal conviction

https://www.kent.ac.uk/applicants/information/policies/criminal_convictions.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks. I was after the UCAS note though. It may or may nor be that they are the same. The gudiance notes seem only to be accessible from an UCAS account as you are filling out the form. I didnt mention UCAS in my post because I was following on from JNeils point where he was referenccing UCAS guidance notes. Thanks though, its just a point of niggling curiosity that someone raised.
Reply 11
You are on point.

I just googled for the care info...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I just googled for the care info...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh ok then. It looked like tou had access to the guidance notes. I'd have to contact UCAS or find someone with an account. Its a point Byronic raised and only the guidance note or UCAS would settle it. Curiosity thats all. Thanks.
Thanks. I was after the UCAS note though. It may or may nor be that they are the same. The gudiance notes seem only to be accessible from an UCAS account as you are filling out the form. I didnt mention UCAS in my post because I was following on from JNeils point where he was referenccing UCAS guidance notes. Thanks though, its just a point of niggling curiosity that someone raised.

it's easy to sign up for an Apply account.

PDF is the full help text for the criminal convictions question
Original post by PQ
it's easy to sign up for an Apply account.

PDF is the full help text for the criminal convictions question

Thanks PQ. I will have a look. Couldnt find that on the site, but didn't have an account.
(edited 7 years ago)
The data is being collected for a number of purposes and as with many of these things how the data is used is far relevant .

even a short period in LA care may be relevant as a pointer towards a less stable family background etc ...

remember there are lies, damn lies and statistics ... there was some dramatic figure quoted a few years ago aobut 'veterans' in the criminal justice system , but it in fact turned out to be anyone who had ever been issued with a service number including people binned in phase 1 training, ex Reservists?TA/Auggies etc ...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending