The Student Room Group

Do colleges reject all applicants who don't get the minimum for a conditional offer?

Hey everyone! I'm an IB student and I have received 3 offers from colleges. I don't know which ones to accept. As I am applying through UCAS I can only accept 2 of my offers. I'd like to get your opinion on the matter, and any suggestions you may have.
Details on my situation:
The grade I expect: 33 points overall with 556 at HL
Offer 1: 35 points overall with 665 at HL
Offer 2: 34 points overall with 555 at HL
Offer 3: 28 points overall with 444 at HL

Offer 1 is the one I would most like to go to, Offer 2 is one I am ok with attending, and Offer 3 is one I would not want to go to unless I don't have a choice.Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you.
Original post by Dadameot
Hey everyone! I'm an IB student and I have received 3 offers from colleges. I don't know which ones to accept. As I am applying through UCAS I can only accept 2 of my offers. I'd like to get your opinion on the matter, and any suggestions you may have.
Details on my situation:

Offer 1 is the one I would most like to go to, Offer 2 is one I am ok with attending, and Offer 3 is one I would not want to go to unless I don't have a choice.Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you.

They're only obligated to take you if you meet or exceed your offer, so there's a possibility that you would be rejected if you fail to meet your offer, but depending on the course/university/how much you missed the offer by/the rest of your application, in some cases they might take you anyway, though this is in no way guaranteed or even likely.

Do you think you can outperform your predicted grades slightly, and get 34 points overall? If so, you could put offer 2 as your firm and offer 3 as your insurance.

Edit: @Kvothe the arcane, can you move this to Applications and UCAS? Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
They're only obligated to take you if you meet or exceed your offer, so there's a possibility that you would be rejected if you fail to meet your offer, but depending on the course/university/how much you missed the offer by/the rest of your application, in some cases they might take you anyway, though this is in no way guaranteed or even likely.

Do you think you can outperform your predicted grades slightly, and get 34 points overall? If so, you could put offer 2 as your firm and offer 3 as your insurance.

Edit: @Kvothe the arcane, can you move this to Applications and UCAS? Thanks.

It's gonna be a stretch considering we haven't had a great science and math department in my school these past 2 years, but I'll definitely put in 100% effort. Thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Dadameot
Details on my situation:

To answer your specific question: "Do colleges reject all applicants who don't get the minimum for a conditional offer?"

No. Not necessarily. It depends on how well the other candidates do, and how far your miss is. A one or even two grade miss is often acceptible (but not always, it depends..)

Firm Offer 1, Insure Offer 2.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending