The Student Room Group

My AS level study log- path to 4A's!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doculmc7171
Good luck!!
I did a Solomon paper for the first time today and found it really hard. What is the likelihood of tomorrow's paper being as hard. Apparently the tests have been getting harder every year. Any advice?

Remember that Solomon papers are quite similar but slightly different in question style to edexcel papers. It's unlikely that tomorrow's exam will be similar to your solomon paper. Try the most recent edexcel and edexcel IAL (international) papers for a better idea of what the standard will be like.
What GCSE's did you get?
Original post by Bulletzone
What GCSE's did you get?

6A* the rest As and Bs
Original post by richpanda
6A* the rest As and Bs

*Looks at Predicted Grades*
*Compares to Rich Panda's*
*-Cries-*
Original post by Bulletzone
*Looks at Predicted Grades*
*Compares to Rich Panda's*
*-Cries-*

Are you in gcse? What a levels are you planning to take?
Hi, how did you find C1? Do you do OCR?
What universities are you looking at? And also, what course?
Original post by shivani_10
Hi, how did you find C1? Do you do OCR?

I do edexcel. I'm about to do a longer post on today in about 5 minutes, so check that.

Original post by kennethdcharles
What universities are you looking at? And also, what course?

I need to decide between mechanical or chemical engineering. I'm looking at bath, cambridge, manchester, imperial, nottingham and newcastle and maybe birmingham.
18/05/2016

No more Core 1 ever! (hopefully). The exam went okay actually, although it was much harder than last years. Having looked at the model answers, I think it's 90% likely that I got 71/75, 5% likely that I got 72/75, 4% likely that I got 70/75. There is a chance (due to an examiner messing up) that the original score I get back is less than this, but I should definitely get an A, and I'm hoping for 92ish UMS.

Work wise today, I got back very late and I'm drained and the football is on, so I may either have a night off, or do a bit of chemistry if I can't get to sleep.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
Are you in gcse? What a levels are you planning to take?

Yes:

A-levels Planning to take:
Maths
Physics
Design and Technology
Chemistry
19/05/2016

Time to work. Il faut que je bosse. I've got 2 chemistry papers to do, and also a physics paper. It's going to be a lot of work but I hope I manage to complete it all tonight.

School-wise, everything seems okay. Core 2 (my favourite/best module) is next wednesday, so I'll be doing several past papers in preparation for that, however physics (next tuesday) may be prioritised. With the new specification, all of my AS content is on both papers, it's just that the 2 papers are different in style and question type. Therefore I have to recap everything for both exams.

Lastly, I have my first chemistry paper next Friday (Inorganic/Physical). I am trying to get hold of another specimen paper, although I am also planning to redo the first one, and I also have lots of example questions to do.

Chemistry- Completed. Did the inorganic/physical specimen paper again, which went really well. Then did another hour of questions for my upcoming paper, which went well too.

Physics- Completed. I have a problem in that the past papers are just too easy compared to the new specification.
(edited 7 years ago)
Core 2 is so soon and I struggling, any tips or sites to use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Core 2 is so soon and I struggling, any tips or sites to use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

exam solutions is good if you are struggling.
20/05/2016

Finally the end of the week (thought it'd never come). I'm going to have a huge weekend of revision ahead, where I will be aiming for at least 6 hours per day. Today however I have an AQA (not my board) specimen paper to do, and then to finish of a C2 solomon paper, then the C2 2015 paper.

Chemistry- Completed. Did second AQA specimen paper, on which I got 80%. Took about 1.5 hours

Maths- Completed. Finished off a solomon paper and did the whole June 2015 paper, got 74/75.
(edited 7 years ago)
21/05/2016

Going to be VERY busy today. This morning I'm going to do all my day's revision that isn't physics related, which is a 2 core 2 papers, and some chemistry questions. Then in the afternoon I have a physics paper and what I call a spec review, so just going through and revising each point on the spec. I'm doing half of the spec today, the other half tomorrow. If I have time left over after this, I'll probably do some more chemistry.

Maths- Completed. Done a Core 2 gold paper and a solomon paper, both went well. Took about 1.5 hours in total.

Chemistry- Completed. Did about 1.5 hours on inorganic/physical questions.

Physics- Completed. Did unit 3 spec review and did a unit 3 paper in 1 hour, got 54/60.

About 5 hours in total today, so happy.
(edited 7 years ago)
22/05/2016

Morning all... start of what I hope is going to be another successful day. I probably should have done more yesterday, but I wasn't helped by the FA cup final going to extra time. Will also be watching the England match today, but obviously that will only be the normal 90 minutes.

I think this morning I'm going to do only physics, which today is doing the second half of my specification review, and an electricity/waves past paper. I'm hoping that should eat up about 3 hours of this morning. After lunch I'm going to do some chemistry questions and 2 Core 2 papers, which should hopefully be another 3 hours. Then I may try and do an extra hour this evening.

Physics- Completed. Spent 2 hours doing my specification review- how dull. Then did just over an hour doing a past paper- got 87%, so really pleased.

Maths- Completed. Done first Core 2 gold paper, went well. Second paper went well too.

Chemistry- Completed. Did about 45 minutes of questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
23/05/2016

1 day until physics! So today I'm pretty much just going to be doing physics, mainly questions and perhaps browsing over a bit of theory. Then on wednesday I have my Core 2 paper, so once I've done the physics exam tomorrow, I'll be focusing on that. On Friday I have my Chemistry Paper 1, so I'll have wednesday and thursday to prepare for that, then I get a nice week of half term.

Physics- Completed. Did an hour of Breadth questions. Re did an old Breadth paper, which was another hour. Spent another hour doing a past paper.

It's 10 o'clock right now, I'm just going to read through the spec, textbook, and revision guide and then do 1 last past paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
24/05/2016

Did my first physics exam today- seemed to go pretty well. I think I've got at the very least 50 /70 marks, more likely to be between 55 to about 62, and the grade boundaries will be low so I should do alright! But I can't switch off- I have Core 2 tomorrow morning. Therefore tonight I'm obviously going to be doing a few Core 2 papers, but I'm feeling okay. I will update with score etc later.

Maths- Completed. June 2011 C2 done, 75/75. Done lots of other Core 2 questions too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck with core 2! You should do great looking at your past paper results :smile:
Original post by kennethdcharles
Good luck with core 2! You should do great looking at your past paper results :smile:

Cheers, just completed it. The only place where I think I've dropped marks is a 4 marker where it gave 2 unknowns (A and B), and it wanted B in terms of A, but I did A in terms of B. I could get no marks, or I could get 3 marks, hard to say. So I'm looking at about 73 if the examiner sees my mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending