The Student Room Group

Who should pay on the first date?

Poll

Who should pay on the first date?

Would be good to get a discussion going.

I think there is some sort of expectation for the guy to pay on the first date, but what do you think?

I would split the bill on the first date but that's just me.

Scroll to see replies

I always offer to pay and would be happy to do so but would be hopeful I'm on a date with the type of girl who also offers to split and not expect the guy to pay for everything. Equality and all that.
Reply 2
The waiter
I'd hate to set a precedent by paying for it all. If you do that, they think you're gonna be one of those "he pays for everything" boyfriends. Always split.
Original post by Nayzar
The waiter

Looooollllllllllllllll.

Whoever asked for a date pays. It's nice to keep a lil tradition but feminists ****ed it up so goodbye to the gentlemen days.
Original post by UWS

I think there is some sort of expectation for the guy to pay on the first date, but what do you think?

Probably from reading american dating advice sites... however in the UK we split the bill.
Reply 6
If it's at my invitation, then I'll tend to pay as a gesture of hospitality unless otherwise agreed beforehand. If we're established, and frequenting the same haunts, then I'll either propose that the bill be divided equally or else quid pro quo—although, if I know they're of limited means (my last girlfriend rented a basement studio and had no disposable income to speak of), then I'll probably indulge them anyway providing they don't take that largesse for granted; I may be solvent, but I'm not looking to install myself as anyone's 'sole provider'.
I'm happy to go halves. I did once ask (I did being my card just incase) and he offered, which was fine.
Reply 8
The girl obviously.
The person who invites or asks out on a date as the other person is your guest. If the other person wants to go Dutch, then respect their wishes.
I think who has invited will pay, it may be me or she. Keep it simple
Split the bill, absolutely.

I can't stand this "guy has to pay for everything" business, if we're on a date then we'll split the bill, if you expect me to pay it all, then we're done. End of story.
And before anyone says "Girls want guys to pay for the dates"

I think whoever asks should actually pay, but realistically they should split the bill in half.
Reply 13
I think there is some logic in the person who asks paying. But also that it's very flexible, with both parties chipping in where appropriate. If you fancy someone is nice for both sides to buy something for each other. Splitting the bill mathematically is a terrible concept, more like a business contract than a romance.
Whilst I immediately thought "split the bill", as it is only decent to offer to do so,sometimes your date (or vice versa) can be insistent on paying for you, as they want you to see it as a treat. I think that's also fine, as long as no one is being pressured to pay the whole bill. Furthermore, they may want to split the bill unevenly (if you suggest to do so), so they are paying more, for similar reasons. Again, I think this is fine, as long as there is no pressure to be paying more than their date. I think it's sweet to treat your date/ be treated by your date, even if it is only your first date as long as they aren't being pressured to do so- it should be their idea, and financially viable for them (now that I think about it), so I put "other".
Anyway, there won't be any girls involved in any dates I'm going on ;P
(edited 7 years ago)
The person who initiated the date (i.e. the guy :tongue:) pays, but the invited person offers to split it, or offers to pay on the next occasion, so that he knows it won't be a regular thing.

The whole 'always go Dutch no matter what' rule seems wrong (or at least, unappealing) as it makes everything about money and removes any sort of give and take aspect from the relationship. If the man wants to pay occasionally, that's a cue for the woman to be extra supportive in other ways. And the problem with that is?

Edit:

Original post by Zarek
I think there is some logic in the person who asks paying. But also that it's very flexible, with both parties chipping in where appropriate. If you fancy someone is nice for both sides to buy something for each other. Splitting the bill mathematically is a terrible concept, more like a business contract than a romance.

Okay, said it better than me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xobeauty
Looooollllllllllllllll.

Whoever asked for a date pays. It's nice to keep a lil tradition but feminists ****ed it up so goodbye to the gentlemen days.

Yeah **** those feminists I'd choose a free meal over voting/reproductive rights and just general equality any day of the week
Original post by UWS

Call me old fashioned idc. Unless there was some kind of agreement beforehand, the guy should always pay on the first date.
Lol just split the bill.
I start with the expectation that I will pay, but the quality of her company may incline me to insinuate towards the end of the date that I would be very receptive to offers to go dutch.

:gigg:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending