The Student Room Group

It's ruining my life

Hey guys,

I have recently been doing some research and I think I may have vaginismus. This is where the muscles in your vagina make involuntary contractions, and therefore it is almost impossible to have sex, insert tampons etc. I realised that there may be something wrong with me when all my friends were talking about inserting tampons for the first time etc. I was like 'does it not hurt though??' and they all gave me this kind of look as if to say 'what the hell is wrong with you?!'. I have tried inserting tampons before, but they hurt/sting so bad and seem as if they are not 'meant to fit there'. No I do not have an STI, and yes, my hymen is broken. I was wondering if there are any other girls who have the same condition, and what can be done to treat it. I have looked at some treatment options but they are really expensive (like thousands). I really want to solve this problem asap, or at least before I start university next September.
I'd go to your local GP and, while they likely can't do anything themselves can book an appointment for you with someone who can actually either do something or give you something to combat this problem.
TBH, I think this advice is the best you can get other than going to a sexual health clinic.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

I have recently been doing some research and I think I may have vaginismus. This is where the muscles in your vagina make involuntary contractions, and therefore it is almost impossible to have sex, insert tampons etc. I realised that there may be something wrong with me when all my friends were talking about inserting tampons for the first time etc. I was like 'does it not hurt though??' and they all gave me this kind of look as if to say 'what the hell is wrong with you?!'. I have tried inserting tampons before, but they hurt/sting so bad and seem as if they are not 'meant to fit there'. No I do not have an STI, and yes, my hymen is broken. I was wondering if there are any other girls who have the same condition, and what can be done to treat it. I have looked at some treatment options but they are really expensive (like thousands). I really want to solve this problem asap, or at least before I start university next September.

Go see a doctor. I thought I had a serious problem which would have affected my fertility and worked myself up looking online and stuff. Once I saw a doctor about it I found out it wasn't what I thought and although it still sucks it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it was.
Your doctor will be able to work out what it is and discuss your options with you. The only way you'll be able to sort it is by going to the doctor so there's no point waiting and working yourself up (trust me i'm a master at that and it never helps). :smile:

Do you live in the UK? If so you should be able to get treatment on the NHS for free.

Quick Reply

Latest