The Student Room Group

Are women unnatural for not wanting children

Scroll to see replies

Yes, from a bio-evolutionary standpoint, both genders want children.
Original post by Desi123
No. Your cousin's ignorant. Many men want children more than is "stereotypical," too.

Stupidest post I've seen today :rolleyes:

Nothing stupid by calling out on posts you are can't argue stupid... :biggrin:
Original post by neal95
I will probably get stick for this but personally I think it is. If you strip away all ideology such as political ideology feminism etc then it is likely women will adhere to their body's natural callings which is to reproduce

Cringe.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
In 1960, and even up to the 1980s, the vast majority of women wanted children. After feminism engulfed the West, a huge number of women decided they no longer wanted children. Make of that what you will.

They truely wanted to have them, or they wanted to have them because it was expected of them and they didnt want to be seen as odd ,as theres a difference. As for feminism, well since equal rights there is also less pressure on men now to follow their 'role' to work in a top job and 'provide' ie compared to before more women are bringing home the higher income so men can relax more.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Cringe.

Like I said, I think you can't really compare things because of how society has changed and that obviously affects the way we see things. I'm not saying that it's wrong not to want to have children btw. I knew someone would take offence. I suppose in this climate you can't say anything without anyone taking issue
Original post by neal95
Like I said, I think you can't really compare things because of how society has changed and that obviously affects the way we see things. I'm not saying that it's wrong not to want to have children btw. I knew someone would take offence. I suppose in this climate you can't say anything without anyone taking issue

I'm not offended I just find your wording a little creepy, that you said my body has "a natural calling to reproduce."
Original post by Twinpeaks
I'm not offended I just find your wording a little creepy, that you said my body has "a natural calling to reproduce."

Well that's your problem. My opinion, Dosent mean it actually applies. And anyway i might even argue that society has been conditioned so much that my statement Dosent even hold true unless all the ideology etc was stripped back and didn't exist
Original post by neal95
Well that's your problem. My opinion, Dosent mean it actually applies. And anyway i might even argue that society has been conditioned so much that my statement Dosent even hold true unless all the ideology etc was stripped back and didn't exist

No you probably aren't wrong. It's perfectly reasonable that modern day society has placed a lower importance on child- rearing. Likely even.
I don't find the word "natural" terribly useful. Do wtf you want to do.
Uh...Isn't it "unnatural" for your cousin to not want children too since most men want kids, and yet you're "unnatural" one because you're a female? Lol.
Its not unnatural. Its not common but what is unnatural about it? Some women can't have kids, and some women do not want kids. You have your reasons why.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
In 1960, and even up to the 1980s, the vast majority of women wanted children. After feminism engulfed the West, a huge number of women decided they no longer wanted children. Make of that what you will.

Feminism did its job in liberating women. That's what happened.

Before your cut off point women didn't have a choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not unusual; I'm the same at the moment. Don't think or plan on having kids any time soon.

I think especially nowadays more women say the same thing (could be that more women priotise their career before having a family etc).

It might be the stage of life you're in. Sometimes women don't get broody until their mid 20's-30's. Even if you never want kids, don't worry, as everyone is different. As long as you're happy and the person you may get with is happy too :smile:.
Yes, it is unnatural.

I think the only reason people would dispute that is because they feel the word "unnatural" has some kind of negative or pejorative connotation. I'm not saying it's bad in any way, but contrary to our natural instincts - certainly.
Original post by tazarooni89
Yes, it is unnatural.

I think the only reason people would dispute that is because they feel the word "unnatural" has some kind of negative or pejorative connotation. I'm not saying it's bad in any way, but contrary to our natural instincts - certainly.

So if someone male or female doesnt have an instinct or natural drive to have children how can it be against their natural instinct..
Like an homosexuals natural instinct is to be intimate with the same sex so how is it unnatural.
It would seem to go against "nature" on a base level, in that in the rest of the natural world the base aim is to pass on your genetic material to future generations, you are measured by your fitness.

That said we're rather more complex than other animals, we have a much greater ability to aid our species via inclusive fitness (though other animals display this as well), and potentially it could be more beneficial for our type of society if not every single women had a child.

Normal talk, no more "unnatural" then it is for men (if anything less so) and we're too complex to base things on such simplistic viewpoints.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The cringe is real :facepalm:

Stop talking about your "bloodline" and "hiers"

We are not in game of thrones and if we were you would be a nameless peasant knee deep in horse ****, not Tywin flipping Lannister.

Although 'bloodline' is a funny word to use, it is pretty much a natural desire to want your own genes passed down. It's a major theme in the animal kingdom after all. Unless you really are only making fun of the bloodline word :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
I always thought that both genders naturally want children, many men and women will say they want them.

Yeah I meant to say both men and women.
Original post by songsaboutghost
Women not wanting children is no more unnatural than men not wanting them. The purpose of all life is to reproduce and create more life, ensure the survival of the species, but at the same time I think it's safe to say a) we've evolved enough to think beyond those base biological impulses and b) the population of the world isn't solely in our hands (or ovaries). Society is still relatively outdated in that it tends to put pressure on women who don't want children, but you should never be made to think that you are weird or unnatural or cold for not wanting them. Some people just don't. And if you don't, it's far better for everyone that you stay true to that. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for being happy without them.

so gay people, like myself are fundamentally wrong
Reply 58
Unnatural? Maybe.
But so are planes or the phones or computers we're actually using to argue about this, so who cares? Natural or not, we've got the chance of choosing not to have kids if we don't want them, and as members of a free society our choices should be respected since they don't actually affect anyone else... Just find someone with a similar view on this, I think it's actually far more common in young people nowadays than the previous generations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending