The Student Room Group

Will I fit in at uni?

I know I'm not the only one feeling anxious and stressed about uni. I'm looking forward to all the uni shopping and decorating my room, freshens etc but there are a few things I'm worried about.

Will I get used to uni life?
Feeling anxious if I'll fit in and get along with my flat mates? (Have struggled fitting in with others)
Can I keep up to uni life and the work?
If I'll understand the work?Complete the work load?
Get used to lectures? Get used to living away from home?

How is student support? Is it good?
Reply 1
Original post by AJMistry
I know I'm not the only one feeling anxious and stressed about uni. I'm looking forward to all the uni shopping and decorating my room, freshens etc but there are a few things I'm worried about.

Feeling anxious if I'll fit in and get along with my flat mates? (Have struggled fitting in with others)

If you're one of the actives ones on TSR. Probably not :wink:.

it depends on how much youre willing to be yourself and become independant
Reply 3

You definitely will as you aren't the only one who is worrying about this. It's natural to feel like this.
But you eventually will, just be patient!
Reply 4

I'm really scared as well but all unis hâve Some form of student support available if you're feeling stressed
Just remember they have all sorts of people at university. If you think about how many people there are on campus you're bound to find somebody to whom friendship will be natural 😃
If you were introvert before you will stay introvert, its just how you are.
Its not a bad thing, but if you werent very popular at school, uni isnt a miracle cure
Reply 7
Sure you will fit in! Don't panic, you'll get used to everything. Just be yourself.
I'm not personally familiar with student support, but for everything else, most people are fine with it. There'll be bumps along the road and periods of doubt in everything - I had a nasty case of this a few weeks in and wanted nothing more than to go home. But I stuck it out, made some kind of an effort and I've just finished year 2 so... It's just a hurdle to be used to it, then it should stabilise for most people.

Having said that, not everyone will have a good experience or will transfer somewhere else or decide that uni is not for them, and that is fine - it doesn't mean that there's something wrong with you. It's important to communicate these feelings with someone and be able to make the right decisions, rather than doing it on a whim.

Usually you'll be assigned a Personal Tutor pretty much straight away at uni - this is someone you can go to for personal, financial, academic etc. advice.

Also there's an article here written by a third year student that answers a lot of your questions for you :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending