The Student Room Group

LGBT+ Sex and Relationship Education

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unown Uzer
The act of sex is meant for reproduction. Sex between those of the same sex fails to achieve this. If men were supposed to have sex with men, why don't rectums naturally lubricate, whereas vaginas do?

Realistically, however, this is incredibly outdated. People don't purely have sex for reproductive purposes, even in heterosexual relationships. Or are you also of the opinion that infertile people shouldn't have sex/be in relationships?

I don't care about what traditions the Greeks and the Romans had. This is the United Kingdom. We don't do whatever weird traditions they do on the mainland.

People applied your logic to interracial couples in the past, and now that would be considered to be a fairly abhorrent view. Why is this any different?
Original post by hoping4thebest
I don't think I am discriminating against them. As their loving, equally imperfect neighbour, I feel that the most loving thing to do is to educate them about God's love for us. Since God is perfect, he has expected all of us to be perfect as well since we are created in his image. However, since we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, we are all guilty and are deserving of God's punishment. God loves us so much, however, that he came to Earth as Jesus Christ to die on the Cross and sacrifice himself on the Cross to pay for our sins. All homosexual people and all sinners (i.e. every human on Earth) needs to accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour in order to receive God's grace and reconcile with God.

Teaching people about LGBT sex is not going to help them be saved. It's another step in the wrong direction, away from reconciling and receiving forgiveness from God for their sins.

I think you need to realise that most people do not share such strict and extreme views as you do. Some do, I grant you, but not most - for example only a small proportion of people will wait to have sex until marriage, which is fine, but don't then try and tell others what to do.

It's like a religious parent preventing them from learning about Evolution, and then wondering why they fail their GCSE Science. Trying to blind children to the existence of LGBT+ and indoctrinating them to extremist ideas, will only create another generation of ignorant and hateful/discriminatory children - and this hate is not 'perfect' in the eyes of God. Society has moved forward from a male-women role model where a women is not allowed to do anything without her husband's permission, allowed to be beaten, or not allowed a job etc. I'm not saying you should accept it, but don't try and turn people to this extremist and, frankly, archaic view.
Original post by Mactotaur
Define 'supposed'. Humans weren't meant to fly, but we made planes. We weren't meant to cook our food, that's completely unnatural, yet we do.

Planes and cooking are constructive things that are meant to make the human race more productive, and are signs of the supremacy of the human race over other animals. Sex between those of the same sex, on the other hand, does not enhance our productivity, nor is it in any way constructive.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
don't try and turn people to this extremist and, frankly, archaic view.

It is becoming archaic, or obsolete. Around 50% of the country's population are now atheist, according to a recent study.
Define 'supposed'. Humans weren't meant to fly, but we made planes. We weren't meant to cook our food, that's completely unnatural, yet we do.

There's always such a level of irony when people go on about what is 'natural' whilst they sit in their man-made homes, typing on computers :lol:
Planes and cooking are constructive things that are meant to make the human race more productive, and are signs of the supremacy of the human race over other animals. Sex between those of the same sex, on the other hand, does not enhance our productivity, nor is it in any way constructive.

We are not 'meant' to do anything, unless you subscribe to the frankly absurd notion of there being a creator deity. Nature is often personified, but truly nature is not some monolithic force or being.
Original post by shadowdweller

People applied your logic to interracial couples in the past, and now that would be considered to be a fairly abhorrent view. Why is this any different?

By the logic of promoting homosexuality, should incest also be allowed, as some people, I assume, are predisposed to be attracted to a relative?
It is becoming archaic, or obsolete. Around 50% of the country's population are now atheist, according to a recent study.

Nope. Only 13% of British people are firm atheists.
Original post by shadowdweller
If God is perfect, then we can assume that his creations turn out exactly as he wants them to - if not, he's flawed in his ability to create, and therefore isn't perfect. By extension, anyone who's LGBT+ is that way because he wants them to be, and they shouldn't be penalised for something out of their control.

Of course, this is all presupposing the existence of a deity, which nobody can prove. So we should be treating it as a case of basic human decency as much as anything else; who are we to tell others who they should or shouldn't love, if no one is being hurt?

And more to the point, no matter what we do or don't teach, people will engage in the acts regardless. The least we can do is ensure that they're doing so as safely as possible.

This! An ideal view of God and His creations is flawed. I don't dispute there may be a God, I believe in a form of God, but not one who promotes hatred to those who are different from you, whether this be gender, race, religion, or sexuality. The idea of someone following a peaceful God and discriminating against others is illogical and complete hypocritism.
Original post by Anonymous

Give me your source and I'll give you mine.

By atheist, I mean not a member of a religion, not necessarily holding strong views.
By the logic of promoting homosexuality, should incest also be allowed, as some people, I assume, are predisposed to be attracted to a relative?

Yes, actually.

So long as it doesn't hurt anyone, and all parties involved can and do consent, I don't see a problem with it.
We are not 'meant' to do anything, unless you subscribe to the frankly absurd notion of there being a creator deity. Nature is often personified, but truly nature is not some monolithic force or being.

We are not 'meant' to do anything, but we do things to maintain our supremacy over other animals, given that if we are complacent and do not act to maintain our supremacy, we may be overtaken to become the prey of the animal kingdom in this struggle.

You realise that's not an argument against homosexuality, right? It's just a tangent to the topic at hand. We can spin it whichever way you want though, really. I specified that the relationship shouldn't harm anyone if it were to be acceptable, so the risk put on any offspring from an incestual couple would fall under that, no?

But if it's not causing harm to anyone, it's not technically bad. Whilst I don't personally support it, there's not an inherent moral argument against it. It's also not a sexuality, and therefore not directly comparable.

More to the point, this is an argument specifically about LGBT+ relationships, which you have yet to put a new argument against.

This! An ideal view of God and His creations is flawed. I don't dispute there may be a God, I believe in a form of God, but not one who promotes hatred to those who are different from you, whether this be gender, race, religion, or sexuality. The idea of someone following a peaceful God and discriminating against others is illogical and complete hypocritism.

Exactly this... simply put, any God who perpetuates hatred, through his own intent, is not perfect, and not a reason to allow discrimination.
(edited 7 years ago)

Linking this to incest and paedophilia is an old and illogical argument. They both occur in hetro and homo situations - this is nothing to do with sexuality. Sexuality has no bearing on attraction for a member of your family or a child, just as it wouldn't with bestiality or other unrelated arguments you may put forward.
We are not 'meant' to do anything, but we do things to maintain our supremacy over other animals, given that if we are complacent and do not act to maintain our supremacy, we may be overtaken to become the prey of the animal kingdom in this struggle.

We don't have supremacy in any other facet except that we are more intelligent, the downside of which is that we are physically weaker than many animals. Oh, and that we have opposable thumbs, which is a result of evolution, which means we had no control over it.

I am Agnostic, believing in a form of God, if not believing in some Christian views - yet I support LGBT. A lot of religious people are not backward enough to discriminate, I know many religious people who support LGBT. Just because some people are stuck in the past, doesn't mean everyone who is religious are.

By spouting homophobia, you put most people off being religious.
(edited 7 years ago)
Linking this to incest and paedophilia is an old and illogical argument. They both occur in hetro and homo situations - this is nothing to do with sexuality. Sexuality has no bearing on attraction for a member of your family or a child, just as it wouldn't with bestiality or other unrelated arguments you may put forward.

How do you know incest is not a form of sexuality? I reject the soundness of your premise that incest has nothing to do with sexuality, as it is a form of sexuality itself. Just as someone may only be attracted to those of the same sex, some people may only be attracted to people related to them.

48.5% say they have no religion.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-england-wales-study
Reply 78
I don't care about what traditions the Greeks and the Romans had. This is the United Kingdom. We don't do whatever weird traditions they do on the mainland.

The United Kingdom over the years has been invaded by: Normans, Romans, Vikings, Celts, and many more; each left their mark on our traditions. So Roman traditions are also our traditions.
I am Agnostic, believing in a form of God, if not believing in some Christian views - yet I support LGBT. A lot of religious people are not backward enough to discriminate, I know many religious people who support LGBT. Just because some people are stuck in the past, doesn't mean everyone who is religious are.

By spouting homophobia, you put most people off being religious.

Exactly. You can be religious or spiritual without belonging to an organised religion - which are the main culprits for spreading this kind of baseless hatred.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending