The Student Room Group

Government Legal Service Applications/Info/helpful tips thread

Just applied for the GLS starting in September 2018.

Filled out my details and bumbled my way through the SJT. It was relatively straightforward I think, two good answers and two dumb answers, so the difficulty was in selecting the better of the two good answers.

I got a question: how bothered are they about degree classifications? And legal work experience? It says minimum of 2.2. Do they only care if you answer the questions right and pass the assessment day?

I've only sat in public galleries twice but didn't mention it as it wasn't exactly work. I'm going to get as much work experience as possible during the GDL.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't ever assume that a lower entry requirement means that the recruitment process is easier. I was going to apply to the GLS but decided against London.

From what I've seen, the first stages of the GLS application process doesn't take into account your university, degree classification, work experience etc, it mainly focuses on the different tests you'll be asked to complete. But inevitably they are going to look at those things eventually, and I think you'll find it extremely difficult to secure a TC with no legal work experience.

I have no idea what the rest of the recruitment process is like and what kinds of questions they'd as you at interview, but you'll find it difficult to answer competency questions without any legal experience. Do you have any non-legal work experience that could help with this? Anything like a part time job or some charity work?
Original post by Hann95
I wouldn't ever assume that a lower entry requirement means that the recruitment process is easier. I was going to apply to the GLS but decided against London.

From what I've seen, the first stages of the GLS application process doesn't take into account your university, degree classification, work experience etc, it mainly focuses on the different tests you'll be asked to complete. But inevitably they are going to look at those things eventually, and I think you'll find it extremely difficult to secure a TC with no legal work experience.

I have no idea what the rest of the recruitment process is like and what kinds of questions they'd as you at interview, but you'll find it difficult to answer competency questions without any legal experience. Do you have any non-legal work experience that could help with this? Anything like a part time job or some charity work?

Done some voluntary work at CAB and sat in court a couple times to watch a rape trial and a drug dealer trial. That's it so far, but I'm hoping there will be lots of opportunity for more work experience during my GDL? I'm going to BPP and they mentioned there's loads of pro bono stuff. That looks good on a CV right?

I have a crap ton of past employment and work experience but not legal, but I can draw links to the law with it.
Reply 3
Original post by Fugggggg :DDD
Done some voluntary work at CAB and sat in court a couple times to watch a rape trial and a drug dealer trial. That's it so far, but I'm hoping there will be lots of opportunity for more work experience during my GDL? I'm going to BPP and they mentioned there's loads of pro bono stuff. That looks good on a CV right?

I have a crap ton of past employment and work experience but not legal, but I can draw links to the law with it.

Pro-Bono does look good and it genuinely is helpful - I've been working in a law clinic for two years and I can definitely see the benefits of doing it. I'd recommend trying to look for things like positions of responsibility, places you can utilise skills such a teamwork and anything that involves client care. Those are the main areas I find you get asked about on application forms and interviews.

Of course it doesn't have to be legal related, I once used an example of getting drunk girls to leave the bar I worked in as an example for a question. I just think recruiters expect a certain level of legal work experience to at least show commitment to the career.

Did you put the CAB experience on your application? That's quite common experience for people going in to law so it would be a good thing to have.
Original post by Hann95
Pro-Bono does look good and it genuinely is helpful - I've been working in a law clinic for two years and I can definitely see the benefits of doing it. I'd recommend trying to look for things like positions of responsibility, places you can utilise skills such a teamwork and anything that involves client care. Those are the main areas I find you get asked about on application forms and interviews.

Of course it doesn't have to be legal related, I once used an example of getting drunk girls to leave the bar I worked in as an example for a question. I just think recruiters expect a certain level of legal work experience to at least show commitment to the career.

Did you put the CAB experience on your application? That's quite common experience for people going in to law so it would be a good thing to have.

I didn't, probably should have. When it asked for employment stuff I just put in stuff I was actually employed in. There was no section on asking for voluntary stuff/work experience.
Reply 5
Original post by Fugggggg :DDD
I didn't, probably should have. When it asked for employment stuff I just put in stuff I was actually employed in. There was no section on asking for voluntary stuff/work experience.

Hopefully if you get to the next stages it's something you could bring up then in response to any questions. Recruiters I've met have always stressed that they like applicants to have worked, even if it's just Saturday's in a retail job or something so hopefully that will go in your favour. Good luck anyway :smile:
Original post by Hann95
Hopefully if you get to the next stages it's something you could bring up then in response to any questions. Recruiters I've met have always stressed that they like applicants to have worked, even if it's just Saturday's in a retail job or something so hopefully that will go in your favour. Good luck anyway :smile:

ty :smile: Apparently there's like 3000 applicants a year for around 45 places lol.
So, today's the day the results of the SJT come out - good luck everyone. Anyone have any idea what time they start to come out?
I'm waiting too, hope they dont keep us waiting for too long!

Original post by Not Amused
So, today's the day the results of the SJT come out - good luck everyone. Anyone have any idea what time they start to come out?
Original post by alicemaxwell_
I'm waiting too, hope they dont keep us waiting for too long!

The timetable specifically stated PM for when we would get notified so I haven't been too bothered this morning but now I'm on tenterhooks!
The timetable specifically stated PM for when we would get notified so I haven't been too bothered this morning but now I'm on tenterhooks!

Just had a rejection - still can't quite believe it. Really not sure what they were looking for in those answers, obviously not the wisdom of someone who has actually worked in a real work environment for several years!
Got invite to verbal reasoning at just gone 12
Just had a rejection aswell, and in the same position as being someone who has been in a fulltime work environment for several years. Very confused as to what they were looking for!
Reply 13
Anyone else find getting 30 verbal reasoning questions done in 19 minutes really hard or was it just me??
Just had a rejection - still can't quite believe it. Really not sure what they were looking for in those answers, obviously not the wisdom of someone who has actually worked in a real work environment for several years!

Original post by Harlech216
Just had a rejection aswell, and in the same position as being someone who has been in a fulltime work environment for several years. Very confused as to what they were looking for!

This may well not give you much comfort, but I can't really see the point of the SJT - hardly any of those situations will arise in such an uncomplicated manner and often the real way they'd be dealt with isn't on there.

If you really want to work in the GLS (as opposed to it being just 1 of your options), then all I can really suggest is to go again next year and try to think about what you think they think the right answer is.
Original post by LawMe
Anyone else find getting 30 verbal reasoning questions done in 19 minutes really hard or was it just me??

I find it pretty easy, but I usually read the question then speed read the text for the answer rather than reading the text in depth and then going through the questions.
Reply 16

•

Original post by LawMe

hey! mine went from solid in 1-20...to gradually more rushed up to 25...then frantic by the last 3 which were pretty much not even fully read through...i am so disappointed! basically no matter how smart you are if you lose time at the start you are screwed.

hoping thats not the end. i wonder if it is a pass mark/benchmark that you have to meet or whether its that you have to be in the top slice of everyone who has done it to be invited/there is a limited number of places.
Reply 17
Original post by Ethereal
I find it pretty easy, but I usually read the question then speed read the text for the answer rather than reading the text in depth and then going through the questions.

do you find this has worked well for you? i have been almost caught out doing that a few times and seeing its wrong before proceeding. it is helpful to go to the question first though i think.
Original post by anwha
do you find this has worked well for you? i have been almost caught out doing that a few times and seeing its wrong before proceeding. it is helpful to go to the question first though i think.

It does, but it's a matter of what works for individuals. I'm good at speed reading and digesting information so I find if I know what the question is asking for I can pick it out easily. It means I don't waste time memorizing.

Other people probably do better reading and remembering then going through the questions. I just find this way of doing it slow and clumst.
Reply 19
Original post by anwha

Original post by Ethereal
It does, but it's a matter of what works for individuals. I'm good at speed reading and digesting information so I find if I know what the question is asking for I can pick it out easily. It means I don't waste time memorizing.

Other people probably do better reading and remembering then going through the questions. I just find this way of doing it slow and clumst.

I started off my doing Ethereal's approach but given that you can't see all the questions you will be asked on that one passage of text I only found it helpful for the 1st question out of the 3.

For accuracy I read it all first but I think that was why I ended up being really tight on time at the end, however I think/hope I will have got more right in the beginning because of that. Ethereal's approach does take less time (so its useful for something so time-pressured) but it also depends a lot on personal style.

Just my two cents :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending