The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to stop paying into the NHS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You do know most private procedures are still done in NHS buildings right? not to mention private health care does not exist here for emergencies or anything like. Better quality beds in the ward maybe and plastic/cosmetic surgery but thats about it.
Original post by sationti
Perhaps I was born here? As for contributing to the ****ing idle, be advised that I do not want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bet you weren't complaining about the option for free education.

If you lost your job tomorrow, if somebody stole your savings, whatever... If you were put into a situation where you or a loved one needed treatment but did not have the money, you would be thankful for the NHS. You should be thankful for the thousands of people they help every day, that would be worse off otherwise.
I have no wish to be treated in an NHS hospital, but am forced to pay for it. I now hold BUPA insurance, and wouldn't dream of asking the British people to pay for my care.

If I were to be diagnosed with cancer, I would far rather do so in New York than Britain; our cancer survival rates are appalling!

I know that British people will be like 'but my dad couldn't afford his operation without the NHS' - quite frankly I couldn't ****ing care less!

Is there a way that I can stop the British public stealing my money to pay for their healthcare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

and have you seen the price of medical care in the states (I have family there)
my 2nd cousin shattered his kneecap after crashing his Harley
do you want to know how much the replacement was
it was $150,000 you're paying what £40 a year into the NHS so in 65 taxpaying years you'll spend (allowing for inflation) you'll pay £5-6k in so you do the maths
there are a few ways to stop it though you can leave and go to the soon to be great again America or you can just die out from whenever next year's in virus will be
Reply 23
What a mug, you know you can't control where our tax goes, it's a stupid question to ask in the first place.
Perhaps I was born here? As for contributing to the ****ing idle, be advised that I do not want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you said you were on benefits? Have you got a job now?
No you get a grip. I simply don't want to pay for your healthcare. There's nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if you get by a car? You will sent sent by an NHS Ambulance to an NHS Hospital, its as simple as that, whether or not you have private healthcare you will get sent to an NHS Hospital for emergencies you naive ****. People like you need to get a grip on reality and realize you are not paying for other peoples care, if you have accident, the money you have to pay will be worth it then wont it?
Reply 26
I do see OP's point.

Tax for NHS is rather high (so they are for other countries with universal health care).

I do think healthcare should be a universal right, and paid out of the taxpayers pocket in a rich country. But one can't deny there is a lot of waste. There are a lot of people abusing the system (I don't see why others should have to pay for certain things that people bring upon themselves such as liver disease when drinking, etc.) and the income tax is already high in the UK and then the NHS tax is a LOT on top of that.

It's just too much.
Indeed it was spearheaded by Labour. This a party that the electorate decided to kick into the dustbin of irrelevance. We need to stop needlessly killing people by exposing them to MRSA and disband the NHS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I cannot carry on with this conversation. It seems that you are already set in your ways.
Original post by Little Popcorns
No honestly do us all a favour and go to live in America if you're in any luck Trump will be president and then I'm sure you'll be able to walk down the street with dying empoverished people all round you whilst you walk into a swanky hospital and kill you with chemo. Honestly it will be idyllic!

Just go to San Francisco. America doesn't need trump to do that. Tbo honest a bit of fascism would probably see the poor materially better off lol (well the ones that don't get kicked out/exterminated for being the wrong colour).
Reply 29
no so tough. you don't have a choice.
12705480_1320634537954012_9034032421479884910_n.jpg
Reply 31
Original post by Wired_1800
Before you make your final decision on the NHS, why don't you live in the US for some time. See how their system works, then you will be grateful that the Labour Government brought in the NHS.

I live in a different country where there is no NHS, albeit obligatory health insurance. But the % of my wage that costs, is far less than tax British people must pay for the NHS.
I have no wish to be treated in an NHS hospital, but am forced to pay for it. I now hold BUPA insurance, and wouldn't dream of asking the British people to pay for my care.

If I were to be diagnosed with cancer, I would far rather do so in New York than Britain; our cancer survival rates are appalling!

I know that British people will be like 'but my dad couldn't afford his operation without the NHS' - quite frankly I couldn't ****ing care less!

Is there a way that I can stop the British public stealing my money to pay for their healthcare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shame that all UK doctors do most of their training in NHS hospitals, get funded by the NHS and work in NHS too. So if you want to not contribute to the NHS as its not worth it, then say goodbye to any private doctor who has done a medical degree in the Uk or trained in any NHS hospital whilst being funded by the NHS. I'm pretty confident there will be hardly any left. Not to mention all the nurses, physios and other healthcare professionals who will have been helped by the NHS in their career to get to where they currently are in the private sector.

Plus I'm not sure if you have actually used your BUPA insurance but it is terribly flawed. I used my dads insurance and spent 3 weeks in hospital before they said my condition was long term and cut all funding. Had to move to NHS, so you best hope that you either have a **** load of savings or that you never contract a long term condition. Oh and that you never face unemployment, redundancy where you won't be able to afford your BUPA payments and then require healthcare assistance.

However if you still don't want to pay, move to a country without a public health system. It's that simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Indeed, it's because the United States possess the worlds highest standard of modern medicine. Britain pales in comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to America then, why should this be such an issue for you? Why do you feel the need to degrade a system that benefits the majority of Brits instead of just shifting off quietly?
Well that's the problem with free healthcare.
This is how it is, get over it.

Non-drivers pay for the roads through taxation.

Drivers subsidise local councils through fines.

I doubt the OP would want to be left to die if they had a car crash or a heart attack
Original post by inhuman
I live in a different country where there is no NHS, albeit obligatory health insurance. But the % of my wage that costs, is far less than tax British people must pay for the NHS.

Be honest with yourself, how good is your health service? I am not insulting your country because I don't know where you currently live, but the UK NHS has been touted as one of the best healthcare systems in the world.

Yes, the payment is high, but it covers many other healthcare related activities such as medical research, some ambulance service and other non-hospital related activities.

It is ridiculous to say that people should pay according to what they use since it will destroy the whole premise of a universal health service that is free.

Here is a story of a UK Doctor, who had an accident in the US. Unfortunately, his family could not provide adequate insurance cover and were slapped with a $250,000 medical bill.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-nhs-doctor-fights-for-life-after-being-hit-by-lorry-during-las-vegas-holiday-a3185911.html

I think that UK nationals should be proud of the NHS and work to preserve it and make it better rather than complaining about it. Those, who are not UK nationals should keep their opinions to themselves.
Alas, it appears that the basic premise of taxation is one which eludes your limited comprehension; nevertheless, in keeping with that same tradition of collective welfare and shared civic responsibility you'll be delighted to hear that I and a consortium of like-minded parties on TSR have pooled our resources to fund a one-way ticket in your name to Saudi Arabia, so hopefully the above is now something of a moot-point.
Reply 38
Original post by Wired_1800
Be honest with yourself, how good is your health service? I am not insulting your country because I don't know where you currently live, but the UK NHS has been touted as one of the best healthcare systems in the world.

Lol'd. I live in Switzerland.

Yes, the payment is high, but it covers many other healthcare related activities such as medical research, some ambulance service and other non-hospital related activities.

It is ridiculous to say that people should pay according to what they use since it will destroy the whole premise of a universal health service that is free.

Yes, you have a point, but universal healthcare is for unexpected things that you have little influence over. Like getting cancer. Like maybe one day waking up and finding out you have disease x. Being fat, smoking a ton, drinking a ton - you can not do all of those things.
Reply 39
I think the NHS should be replaced. At the time of its creation, it was a great idea. But now with the ageing population, free healthcare will never work and it has, and it will, continue to drain the governments budgets.

Quick Reply

Latest