The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CardiffKate
It's not always as difficult as you think. The hard part is getting into the university, not switching between courses. Ring up and ask or drop them an email!

It really is if a university suspects students are trying to get onto a competitive course like law through the back door.
Original post by dawideksoltysik
I was considering doing media and product design at my school and find if i can do graphic design at a different school becyase i want to do this at uni but my school doesen't offer it - what's your opinion?

I'm also worried as all my friends dropped out and are going to do apprenticeships and my media coursework got marked down so much that it's actually unbelievable!

It may be worth speaking with your media teacher(s) and considering a remark because that is a dramatic drop in grades.

As for your friends dropping out and doing apprenticeships, if that is something you are interested in doing - great. If it isn't, stick to your own path. Your results are by no means bad and can always be improved upon if you're willing to resit a module/unit here or there.

By the sounds of things I would be very worth your while researching other schools to see if you can do graphic design nearby, or media and product design as an AS alongside your A2s. Also have a look at some prospective universities offering the course you are interested in and see what subjects they like/accept and see how that affects your choices.

Finally, remember that you have plenty of time to make these decisions. Don't rush and don't stress yourself out!
Reply 9042
(as) AACE what a rollercoaster

U in mechanics rofl, time to fork out for a remark that won't even change anything

really annoyed that the C was in maths, but happy that i got As in physics/geology - but the physics doesnt even count next year.
Original post by Polyrogue
Thanks a lot to everybody here for their help and assistance. Despite my huge sadness and gutting results of CDD, with your help and a lot of witty phone calls, I managed to secure a place for Computer Science BSc at Goldsmiths UoL! That's normally an entry requirement of ABB!Thanks guys, I finally feel a lot better, and can smile again :biggrin:

Excellent

Congratulations (and well done for keeping calm).
Original post by Nirgilis
Congratulations! :smile: . Are you keeping everything on to A2? :smile:

Yep! I'm taking up AS Further Maths as well!
I got an E for maths AS but everything else is ABB. Any chance of getting into medicine? :s-smilie:
Does anyone know if its 340 UMS to get an A* in AQA Geography, I got 338 and I'm considering getting it remarked for the A*:smile:
Original post by Vincenttkso97
Does anyone know if its 340 UMS to get an A* in AQA Geography, I got 338 and I'm considering getting it remarked for the A*:smile:

To get an A*, you need 80% at AS, and 90% in your A2 modules. So if you're only one mark off 90% in your A2 modules, then by all means :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
Clearing would have a lot less choice available then i m afraid.

Im torn! If I go into clearing, and choose surrey, and my remark comes back and i have the grades to go to my firm choice (southampton) will accepting surrey via clearing mean I have to go there? Or will I still be able to go to southampton if i get the last grade to the B required?
Reply 9049
My mate hasn't received his grades properly. Only two of his subjects show up (BB), he can see the exam results for third subject and he worked out it would also be a B overall, but his grades still only show up as BB, instead of BBB. His UCAS track hasn't updated either. It's so weird, I didn't know this could happen. He's been trying to call the university but last I heard they were just saying they couldn't help him. What can he do? I feel so sorry for him, as he probably would have gotten into his firm (ABB offer) but now places are probably filling up.
Original post by Naveed Rahman
Im torn! If I go into clearing, and choose surrey, and my remark comes back and i have the grades to go to my firm choice (southampton) will accepting surrey via clearing mean I have to go there? Or will I still be able to go to southampton if i get the last grade to the B required?

It means you'll have to go to surrey.
Original post by CardiffKate
It may be worth speaking with your media teacher(s) and considering a remark because that is a dramatic drop in grades.

As for your friends dropping out and doing apprenticeships, if that is something you are interested in doing - great. If it isn't, stick to your own path. Your results are by no means bad and can always be improved upon if you're willing to resit a module/unit here or there.

By the sounds of things I would be very worth your while researching other schools to see if you can do graphic design nearby, or media and product design as an AS alongside your A2s. Also have a look at some prospective universities offering the course you are interested in and see what subjects they like/accept and see how that affects your choices.

Finally, remember that you have plenty of time to make these decisions. Don't rush and don't stress yourself out!

My first choice uni is chester which require 112 UCas points for the course, however I've got a strong portfolio as I currently work as a graphic designer in a large company.

I really was aiming for AA B today but obviously this didn't happen. I really enjoy doing ALevels. One of my friends in media had her grade in media dropped from 78/80 to 60/80 and I had 79/80 and came out with 67/80 - but my teacher was really unhappy as she said they should let her know if they moderate down. My school is a brand new school and we're the first year group to do As's so it's all abit wishy washy.

Do you think If I resit the Geog1 module and bring that up to a B and get a B in next year's modules I might get a B overall? Also my product design exam was horrible as I was the onyl to get a grade in the whole class - everyone else got a a U? Why is that?
Original post by Reda2
Im in a very similiar situation, what did you say, what did you mention to them? Im calling my uni as well.

Well, luckily for me, I had really good GCSE grades. They noticed this, and they asked me to make my case. I mentioned how I have placed very well in several game development competitions, and have a game in the process of being released to the Play Store.
They said I'd be called back by the Head of Dept.

When they called back five minutes later, I nervously answered, and found it was actually the same guy! Turns out he just passed on my arguments and the Head instantly offered me a place :biggrin:Good luck to you my friend.
Original post by Polyrogue
Thanks a lot to everybody here for their help and assistance. Despite my huge sadness and gutting results of CDD, with your help and a lot of witty phone calls, I managed to secure a place for Computer Science BSc at Goldsmiths UoL! That's normally an entry requirement of ABB!Thanks guys, I finally feel a lot better, and can smile again :biggrin:

Wow! Huge congratualtions. How exciting!
Original post by Nirgilis
To get an A*, you need 80% at AS, and 90% in your A2 modules. So if you're only one mark off 90% in your A2 modules, then by all means :smile:

Ohh I thought it was just 340 overall, most of my marks come from my AS papers so I don't think its such a good idea after all :redface:
Original post by qosin
My mate hasn't received his grades properly. Only two of his subjects show up (BB), he can see the exam results for third subject and he worked out it would also be a B overall, but his grades still only show up as BB, instead of BBB. His UCAS track hasn't updated either. It's so weird, I didn't know this could happen. He's been trying to call the university but last I heard they were just saying they couldn't help him. What can he do? I feel so sorry for him, as he probably would have gotten into his firm (ABB offer) but now places are probably filling up.

Tell him to call ucas, they have a qualifications team that should be able to help.
I achieved AAB so I got into LSE, so shocked as I expected them to be so much lower. I had hoped for an A* in sociology but I'm happy with what I got, not happy about the interviews I had to do for radio and tv however, don't spring that on me 15 minutes before I get my results (did get to open them earlier than everyone else though)
My firm offer was AAA and I got A*A*B, was rejected. I don't really like my insurance though, so I called SOAS and have a provisional offer from them. However, I don't want to ask to be released by my insurance yet because I have a re-mark pending on the exam that caused that B and might get into my firm yet. If I have my insurance release me into Clearing will that mean my firm doesn't have their records on me any more? Help! (Paging PQ especially...)
Original post by qosin

He needs to ask his school to contact the exam board. They'll know what's gone wrong.
I got
Maths: A*
Biology: A*
Physics: A
Chemistry: A
EPQ: B
I applied for SGUL medicine clearing but even if i don't get the seat, it's alright because i can aim a bit higher next year and apply to the uni of my dreams :h:

Quick Reply

Latest