The Student Room Group

Getting no where at the gym.

Hey, I've been going to the gym for a month now and I've seen some physical improvement but not much. I'm trying to gain muscle so I've been using several of the machines (Leg curler,Pulley,abdominal ,pullover, Black robe) as well as 2 free weights ( Biceps exercises (21s) and bar push up). I've improved the amount I can lift by 20kg in some exercises but I feel like I should be doing more. I go 3 times a week (I also swim) and do 3 sets of 10 reps for every exercise. How can I do more. Also how do I shift belly fat while gaining muscle.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
If u get strong ur body will look strong. Don't work out one hour a day, work out all day.
I'm a bit the same, to be honest. 5'11 and have just reached 150lb (was about 135lb, I lost a lot of weight). My improvements have mostly been arms, shoulders, chest.

It's not so much weight as it is form and repetition. Pick a weight that is comfortable but challenging, and do more of it. Do more exercises that make sure of your core/stomach muscles. Make sure you are doing your exercises CORRECTLY. Tense the muscles you are working. You'll get there, it takes time.
What's the food intake like?
Original post by ZeroName
If u get strong ur body will look strong. Don't work out one hour a day, work out all day.

You don't need to work out all day.

A month isn't a long time, relatively. I also went for an hour three times a week and it takes time. As your overall strength and fitness improves you'll start to see more physical improvement :smile: You've already seen an increase in the amount of weight you're lifting so you're getting there. Just keep pushing yourself, and eating well and you'll see improvement. It's just something you have to be patient with.
Original post by MrKmas508
Hey, I've been going to the gym for a month now and I've seen some physical improvement but not much. I'm trying to gain muscle so I've been using several of the machines (Leg curler,Pulley,abdominal ,pullover, Black robe) as well as 2 free weights ( Biceps exercises (21s) and bar push up). I've improved the amount I can lift by 20kg in some exercises but I feel like I should be doing more. I go 3 times a week (I also swim) and do 3 sets of 10 reps for every exercise. How can I do more. Also how do I shift belly fat while gaining muscle.

I've attached two 30 day challenges (images) that really helped me - you can do these at home so you wouldn't have to go to the gym.
Reply 7

First of all, it takes a good amount of time and dedication to see changes. Don't assume that you're going to look amazing after a few weeks of working out.
The best option is not to go blindly to the gym and do whatever as a beginner, but actually follow a plan at first and learn exercises for each body part and what they do etc.
For plans, I recommend bodybuilding.com
If you're willing to only work out 3 times a day, these might be good to look at: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw21.htm

Also if you want to shift that belly fat, be ready to get on to the cardio machines for at least half an hour every session. That's what helps me shift my blubber. Also, if you are serious about it, change how you eat. Don't go on a "diet". Just eat better. Abs are made in the kitchen!
Reply 8

Stop doing isolations it's too soon, work using compound exercises like squats and deadlifts. The stronglifts app is good for this. Shifting belly fat while gaining muscle is tough, you can only really do it in the beginning but I'd recommend just eating at maintenance (calories) instead of eating less than what you should eat. But really check out the stronglifts website, Google it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ditch the machines and do all free weights.

Stronglifts 5x5 is good.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
Original post by ozziew
Stop doing isolations it's too soon, work using compound exercises like squats and deadlifts. The stronglifts app is good for this. Shifting belly fat while gaining muscle is tough, you can only really do it in the beginning but I'd recommend just eating at maintenance (calories) instead of eating less than what you should eat. But really check out the stronglifts website, Google it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beat me to it. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by jojo456
I am 6ft Tall, 79KG, (about 175 lbs). As a general back story, i started going to the gym 2 and half years ago. The reason I started is because I was embarrassed by my physique as I was too skinny, about 5ft 10 and 58KG I think. Here's the deal, even though I have been training for 2 and half years, i'm still not satisfied - so after a month of training you should be NOT be evaluating your progress. A month is absolutely nothing when it comes to training and trying to put on size. Take it from me, I struggled so hard to put on size at first and used to be discouraged until I realised that food is absolutely key.

I can see you've just started so you need to know if you want to maximise your rate of growth you NEED to start eating more. A simple way to start is by literally counting your protein intake a day. Try to aim for 2 Grams of protein for every KG of bodyweight a day. Don't worry so much about tracking other macros (carbs and fats) right now because you're just starting out - you will get into it as you develop your motivation as well as your knowledge about how the body works and grows. If you really want to commit to it, use an online calculator with your measurements to find your BMR and do some research about what caloric intake you should be eating at for your size because everyone is different and you can track your macros everyday. But like I said, right now you just need to ensure you eat enough protein and enough calories in carbs and fats to ensure you have energy to grow.

Second most important thing is sleep. Sleep, sleep and more sleep. You will see minimal results if you compromise on sleep.

Lastly, is the work you put in at the gym. As you're starting out you need to focus on compound movements (exercises which involve a series of muscles). Develop your strength and allow your muscles to grow evenly. These are but by no means limited to - Bench Press, Military Shoulder Press, Squats, Deadlifts, Pullups (wide grip) and Tricep dips. Look up tutorial vids on to do perfect form on these exercises so you can get stronger correctly. Do reps at sets which you feel comfortable with and experiment - some people build with lower reps heavier weights and some with higher reps and lighter weight - only you will be able to learn what your body needs.

Other than that just be patient man, the gains will come. Focus hard right now and stop worrying about how you look. You have to commit to this, it won't happen over night. The belly will go as you use more and more energy to build that muscle (but be careful you might see it get bigger if you are over eating which is what happened to me but I didn't care because the muscle and strength gains I attained were more than worth the extra body fat). Maybe in 3 months evaluate yourself again and you will see a big difference - trust me. Best of luck man I wish you the best. Remember winter is BULKING SEASON so eat like a horse! :biggrin:

Also, if you're looking broaden your knowledge on fitness and bodybuilding look up a guy called Mike Mathews on YouTube - his simple but effective way of relaying his tried and tested knowledge about nutrition and working out will really help you out.

And also - don't start taking protein powders yet either because your body will not need it yet. You will either A) piss it out or B) get bloated and store the extra protein as fat. Stick to real food for your daily protein until you feel ready to start taking whey protein.

Great post, and I am glad I am already doing a lot of this. Except the sleep, I have a sleep problem. Like right now I should be sleeping.

Anyway, the part in bold. What do you think about combining the two?

And why not protein? I started taking it when I started working out seriously. What's the deal with that? At the end of the day you are aiming for something like 40-40-20 so why not have protein powder get you to that?
(edited 7 years ago)
give it a year atleast
Your routine lacks the whole routine
Your diet probably isn't great too

FAQ is the place to go, I'd ignore pretty much everything else on the thread
Your routine is awful.

Firstly ignore these stupid challenges, you need a clear avenue for progression, especially as a novice where progression is potentially fast. I would advocate barbell training on the basis that you will be able to work your entire body in a systematic manner and gain practical strength in your big muscle groups whilst recruiting smaller muscle groups as stabilisers.

I mean what do you think will make your body look nicer, a few curls or deadlifting 2x your bodyweight?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Your routine lacks the whole routine
Your diet probably isn't great too

FAQ is the place to go, I'd ignore pretty much everything else on the thread

This. @MrKmas508 thought I'd tag you so you automatically skip straight to this post and surpass the rest of the, quite frankly, ****ing dreadful advice in this thread so far. Training all day every day, just training chest, doing all machines and following the advice of YouTubers is generally NOT the thing to do.
Original post by WoodyMKC
This. @MrKmas508 thought I'd tag you so you automatically skip straight to this post and surpass the rest of the, quite frankly, ****ing dreadful advice in this thread so far. Training all day every day, just training chest, doing all machines and following the advice of YouTubers is generally NOT the thing to do.

PRSOM

I didn't want to say it explicitly, but the advice in here has gone to the dogs of late
Original post by Angry cucumber
PRSOM

I didn't want to say it explicitly, but the advice in here has gone to the dogs of late

Whilst I agree the silly girl workouts are total BS, most people have given reasonable advice concerning eating more, going on stronglifts 5x5 and using compound lifts. I feel every weightlifting community is full of these weird pseudo-autists who yell at noobs to go to the FAQ. You might as well shut down the lifting forum if that's how it's going to be.
Original post by The Sexathlete
Whilst I agree the silly girl workouts are total BS, most people have given reasonable advice concerning eating more, going on stronglifts 5x5 and using compound lifts. I feel every weightlifting community is full of these weird pseudo-autists who yell at noobs to go to the FAQ. You might as well shut down the lifting forum if that's how it's going to be.

Imagine a place where most frequently asked questions, such as those regarding basic diet and training, are answered.

That would be an FAQ

That would be a useful place, a happy place, a place of learning

The advice of stronglifts is fine, but it's hardly the be all and end all of beginner programming, there's a selection out there. Cba diet advice, it's nearly right, but not

Posted from TSR Mobile
:faq:

Quick Reply

Latest