The Student Room Group

Anyone doing pre-access course?

Hi I'm doing the pre access in September and doing maths English and science as an add on is there anyone studying pre access and how was it?

Scroll to see replies

Are you doing proper GCSEs as part of this pre-access course or just 'Access equivalents'?
Original post by Snufkin
Are you doing proper GCSEs as part of this pre-access course or just 'Access equivalents'?

Proper GCSEs
What college are you doing this at?
Sgs Filton college
Original post by glamourprincess
Sgs Filton college

Ahh ok cool:smile:
Reply 6
Hello I start the pre access science in September 2016 in Liverpool
That's good :smile:
Reply 8
Hi,

I'm just finishing my pre access course in English Science and Maths.

I found it fine, two days in college and working 4 days a week with independent study time at home as well (tv has been the kids best friend last few weeks to distract 😱 them so I could study a little more 😳)

The class was more than half the size at the end to what it was at the start, some where kicked off, some changed their minds and some just couldn't fit it in with real life.

Hopefully I'll have my grades to start the level 3 access in biology in September, if not re-sits! I'm not giving up lol.
Original post by lexie-lou
Hi,

I found it fine, two days in college and working 4 days a week with independent study time at home as well (tv has been the kids best friend last few weeks to distract 😱 them so I could study a little more 😳)

The class was more than half the size at the end to what it was at the start, some where kicked off, some changed their minds and some just couldn't fit it in with real life.

Hopefully I'll have my grades to start the level 3 access in biology in September, if not re-sits! I'm not giving up lol.

That's great keep up the good work :smile:
I have just finished the health science access course. All i can say is dont under estimate the amount of time you need to set aside. I had 19 units that needed completing we had 3 days a week in college, the rest was self study. The most was 5 weeks of study before a test and piece of coursework and usually all 4 subjects overlapped. For instance i had human cardiovascular, chemistry in society, genetics and human urinary system and access maths (a level work that we have to do) all due in the same week plus an exam for each unit. Thats 2 tests a day plus coursework deadlines.
I had a baby during the craziness and really struggled to keep up. These courses are fast track for a reason and can be very overwhelming ensure after each lesson you make revision notes as you will need them.
If you have a week off make use of it and study!!! It was the most rewarding, eye opening course ive ever done but would highly recommend it if you have the dedication.

If i can do it with 4 children, 1 volunteer job thats 24 hour care (doula) and get the grades then anyone can.

Good luck you will love every minute
[QUOTE="gothicdreamer20;65243217"]I have just finished the health science access course. All i can say is dont under estimate the amount of time you need to set aside. I had 19 units that needed completing we had 3 days a week in college, the rest was self study. The most was 5 weeks of study before a test and piece of coursework and usually all 4 subjects overlapped. For instance i had human cardiovascular, chemistry in society, genetics and human urinary system and access maths (a level work that we have to do) all due in the same week plus an exam for each unit. Thats 2 tests a day plus coursework deadlines.
I had a baby during the craziness and really struggled to keep up. These courses are fast track for a reason and can be very overwhelming ensure after each lesson you make revision notes as you will need them.
If you have a week off make use of it and study!!! It was the most rewarding, eye opening course ive ever done but would highly recommend it if you have the dedication.

If i can do it with 4 children, 1 volunteer job thats 24 hour care (doula) and get the grades then anyone can.

Good luck you will love every minute[/QUOTE

Wow that's amazing and thanks good luck to you too 😊
Reply 12
Hi I'm starting the pre access course on Monday 12th, I'm in group 2 studying psychology, sociology, GCSE maths and English, so I can do the access to HE in health and social care next year.... Im hoping to go onto Uni to study to be a midwife
Reply 13
Kelz80 what college you in?
I start college pre access science the 12th September
English,maths , physics,biology,chemistry.
Hoping to get in to HE Access medicine next year.
Reply 14
Original post by Kim82!
Kelz80 what college you in?
I start college pre access science the 12th September
English,maths , physics,biology,chemistry.
Hoping to get in to HE Access medicine next year.

Hi Kim, Filton Sgs, what college are you at? x
Original post by Kelz80
Hi I'm starting the pre access course on Monday 12th, I'm in group 2 studying psychology, sociology, GCSE maths and English, so I can do the access to HE in health and social care next year.... Im hoping to go onto Uni to study to be a midwife

Hi Kelz80
Thats good and i am at the same college as you and im in group 1 by the way so hopefully see you there 😊
Original post by lexie-lou
Hi,

I noticed this too!
Original post by glamourprincess
Hi I'm doing the pre access in September and doing maths English and science as an add on is there anyone studying pre access and how was it?

What's the maths assessment like to get in?
Just passed the pre access course and retaking other subjects to hopefully go onto level 3
Original post by Soppphhhie
What's the maths assessment like to get in?

its a gcse maths assessment paper bit like the exam paper to assess your maths skills to get in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending