The Student Room Group

Would bringing my father to this job interview increase my chances of being accepted?

I've got an extremely important job interview for a law firm where I want to work.
My father is a really expensive and famous lawyer. He's well-known all over Norway (and even UK and Denmark) and - he even worked for this company for 4 years before he started working on his own. So would bringing him with me increase my odds of being accepted or would it just make me look lame?
No good can come out of it.
Reply 2
It wouldn't look lame at all.

But I'm struggling to think of a word that accurately sums up just how much spectacularly worse it is.
Lol, I can't imagine that would look good.
It would be on par with a dude in his 20's getting grounded by his mum.
I think it would give the impression you were expecting to be offered the job, because "Look who my father is?" It might make the employers think you have some sort of sense of entitlement and expect to get the job not on your own merit. Not good.
Have you even asked your father? I would imagine his reaction will be the same as most people's on here for even suggesting it.
It comes across as both boastful and being over dependent on daddy to get you through life.
Reply 8
No
You will look like one of those people who on applications write things like "I want to do Law because my father is a lawyer...", even universities tend to reject those people straight away, nevermind Law firms. Also, it would seem like you know you are not a strong enough candidate and so, have to resort to such desperate measures in order to gain a TC or whatever the interview is for.
Original post by Anonymous
I've got an extremely important job interview for a law firm where I want to work.
My father is a really expensive and famous lawyer. He's well-known all over Norway (and even UK and Denmark) and - he even worked for this company for 4 years before he started working on his own. So would bringing him with me increase my odds of being accepted or would it just make me look lame?

It would look terrible. If they've invited you for a job interview, then they're inviting you and not your father.

By bringing him, it would tell them that you lack good judgment and would likely apply similarly immature judgment to serious and important matters in relation to their clients.

Second, they would think you were stuck up and self-entitled, and that is likely to decrease the chance they will want to hire you. In deciding whether to hire someone the question of personality, of the new hire being able to fit in socially within the firm, is certainly a consideration and you will suffer on that consideration because the people doing the interview are likely to immediately take a dislike to you.

Finally, if (as there is every chance of being the case), the people interviewing you got there on merit, they will view this stunt as pathetic and that you lack the intelligence and personal qualities to get the job on your own merit.

In short, it's a ****ing terrible idea. The fact you even considered it makes me wonder whether you are mature enough to be doing work that touches on the fundamental interests of the firm's clients. If you father is such a well-known and successful lawyer then he would have the connections to get you a legal job anyway, which makes me think this might be some sort of troll post

He's well-known all over Norway (and even UK and Denmark)

There is no Norge lawyer who is well-known all over the UK. Again this makes me think troll
(edited 7 years ago)
@nulli tertius

What's your view of this?
Original post by Anonymous

Good God no - does he hold your hand when you go for a pee too
Pssssshhht
Original post by AlexanderHam
@nulli tertius

What's your view of this?

The same as everyone else.

Parental interference (including phoning up the senior partner whom he knew socially) on behalf of one candidate to my firm undoubtedly cost a young woman a training contract. Fortunately for her she applied again the following year successfully without Daddy putting his oar in and with a CV that now included things that did not appear to have been secured for her through Daddy's intervention.

Latest

Trending

Trending