The Student Room Group

Got wrongly sent some mail; what should I do?

Today I received a letter in the mail with my address on it, but someone else's name.

It seems to be a birthday card: handwritten, colourful envelope, and other card-like qualities.

I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't know the person it is addressed to and neither do my neighbours. If it is a birthday card, which it probably is, I sort of want to open it in case some money has been sent with it.

Am I supposed to just keep it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I decided to open it in case it was a birthday card with money that I could keep.

It wasn't a birthday card.
It was a 'So sorry for your loss' card.
:s-smilie:
Original post by Wiggly
I decided to open it in case it was a birthday card with money that I could keep.

It wasn't a birthday card.
It was a 'So sorry for your loss' card.
:s-smilie:

wow that was nice of you. I was going to offer advice but pretty disgusted at your motivation, so will pass.
JS, it's illegal to open someone else's mail without a reasonable excuse...

For future reference, just cross out the address and write something along the lines of "not known at this address, return to sender" and stick it in a postbox. If it's a package, I'd assume you'd take it down to the post office.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
wow that was nice of you. I was going to offer advice but pretty disgusted at your motivation, so will pass.

I waited four hours for a response before the temptation kicked in.
Original post by TheMcSame
JS, it's illegal to open someone else's mail without a reasonable excuse...

For future reference, just cross out the address and write something along the lines of "not known at this address, return to sender".

There was no senders address.

Original post by Luke7456
Due to been autistic I sometimes really worry that I might accidentally come across as rude or say something wrong on these forums. I worry that some admissions tutor might somehow identify me and it may ruin my chances in future because something came across as rude or in a way I never meant it to. This is something autistic people have to deal with regularly perpetual social anxiety.

Then I see idiots like this and I ask myself do I really have so much to worry about?

Not sure if there was a message in there somewhere.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wiggly
There was no senders address.

Same thing applies. If there's no return address then Royal Mail will sort it out at their return centre.
Lol that was a pretty dickish thing to do.

For future reference, just cross out the address, write 'not at address/return to sender', put it in a post box and it is no longer your problem.

Unless:

- The letter has 'URGENT' or 'DO NOT IGNORE' etc. on the envelope. Do the same as above but probably a good idea to google the postcode on the return address in case it might be someone chasing money or someone else's speeding ticket etc. In which case a quick email to the relevant company to say that they don't live there is a good idea just to cover your back.
- Obvious marketing stuff (says 'this is a marketing communication on the back'), just chuck it is the bin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending