The Student Room Group

HMRC AO pre-employment checks

Scroll to see replies

I start on Monday 4th July... Excited :smile:
Original post by newcomer2016
can anyone who has already started the job enlighten us on what the role involves?

It depends what line of business your working in. Currently I'm in Personal Tax Operations so I'm on the phone all day speaking to taxpayers trying to resolve any issues they're having with their income tax i.e they're on the wrong tax code, are due a refund, want to transfer some of their personal allowance to their partner etc. I'll be getting trained in a second line of business shortly which is looking to be Tax Credits. But other AOs in my place just now work post instead of telephony, some do Self Assessment or student loans. Its a customer-service telephony role and is generally straightforward.
Original post by trundlethegreat
It depends what line of business your working in. Currently I'm in Personal Tax Operations so I'm on the phone all day speaking to taxpayers trying to resolve any issues they're having with their income tax i.e they're on the wrong tax code, are due a refund, want to transfer some of their personal allowance to their partner etc. I'll be getting trained in a second line of business shortly which is looking to be Tax Credits. But other AOs in my place just now work post instead of telephony, some do Self Assessment or student loans. Its a customer-service telephony role and is generally straightforward.

i'm in debt management I start of the 25th of July. It maybe a bit early yet for you to know but how is progression within these types of roles, i mean is there a clear path to move around/up or is there no real support for further development. thanks in advance for any response:smile:
Hi.

Does anyone have a contact number for the department carrying out the pre employment checks. I was emailed last week asking me to send some extra documents and i sent them what was asked for straight away. I even received the confirmation email receipts. I have just heard back from them today saying they have had nothing from me and failure to send will cause delays etc.
I have re sent everything again and am a little upset and worried about this and would make me feel at ease if i could speak to someone.
Original post by newcomer2016
i'm in debt management I start of the 25th of July. It maybe a bit early yet for you to know but how is progression within these types of roles, i mean is there a clear path to move around/up or is there no real support for further development. thanks in advance for any response:smile:

There is no real path for development. If you do well in your job you won't be promoted because of it. If you want promotion/progression you'll have to apply for jobs on the civil service website like everyone else.*

Most of the jobs in DMB are telephone based chasing outstanding tax payments. *
Good luck to everyone who is now starting/has started! :smile: I start on Monday, am very excited/nervous and hope I settle in ok! Just very pleased to be put in debt management which is Monday-Friday coming from retail ha ha!
Reply 126
Original post by Rover red
Hi.Does anyone have a contact number for the department carrying out the pre employment checks. I was emailed last week asking me to send some extra documents and i sent them what was asked for straight away. I even received the confirmation email receipts. I have just heard back from them today saying they have had nothing from me and failure to send will cause delays etc.I have re sent everything again and am a little upset and worried about this and would make me feel at ease if i could speak to someone.

Hi there,

i had a similar issue with attatchements not sending correctly as i was offered a possition from the reserve list. for me it was the health questionaire thing. i just sent them an email immediately and was given a member of staff's direct email to send the form to. this seems to have worked and now the waiting game continues... i originally applied in febuary and from the same area as Spanky
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Spanky13
Congratulations to all! Also, good luck to those who have started today! xx

Be joining you soon :smile:
Original post by Altros
Hi there,

i had a similar issue with attatchements not sending correctly as i was offered a possition from the reserve list. for me it was the health questionaire thing. i just sent them an email immediately and was given a member of staff's direct email to send the form to. this seems to have worked and now the waiting game continues... i originally applied in febuary and from the same area as Spanky

Hi.

I had to re-submit the papers multiple times and it was stressful and I found out they had a problem with their system. I was eventually given a formal and i had to reply with an email to accept or decline by a certain deadline and i accepted straight away but guess what they didnt receive the email! Luckily i found this out by chance when i went for another interview at HMRC.
Anyway i got there in the end! So best to ask for confirmation when you send anything to them.
Reply 129
Cheers for that, I will remember to double check. Just had an email yesterday saying crb is done and need to send them the certificate, had an oh letter due to my torn shoulder last year and my referance have been contacted already. Not bad in less than a week!
Just looking through the three and I'm starting to get really worried. I've had a provisional offer since August and starting some time in October. No formal offer yet. Just my employer at the moment require a months notice. Anyone waiting for October start and how long this waiting game can take??
Original post by Help16
Just looking through the three and I'm starting to get really worried. I've had a provisional offer since August and starting some time in October. No formal offer yet. Just my employer at the moment require a months notice. Anyone waiting for October start and how long this waiting game can take??

I know in Birmingham they are doing an intake every 2 weeks, with the next one being the 19th Sept, and think they're continuing into Oct. Pretty sure they will give you at least 4 weeks notice as they know that is required my most enployers. I got 6 weeks notice. Just keep checking your emails!
Thanks for that. I'm waiting for the north east intake. Always checking my emails. Hope I get something soon x
Yea don't worry. I had 7 weeks notice! And they are very slow to everything. I applied in February and its now its september! A lot of people are in the same boat.
I got an offer for Newcastle on 5 August and then waited a while til I contacted them to ask for progress. Then received an e mail asking for DBS form filled in , Health Questionnaire and also personal references - that was End August.

Since then I have waited and tried to find out what happening but have now been told They are all set except for a certificate from OH assist re Health form.

Have contacted OH 3 times by phone and E mail since I filled in their questionnaire and keep getting told that they will get a message to their scheduling dept who will get someone to phone me to make an appointment for someone to phone me to talk!!!

Three weeks I have now waited for a call and still no further forward. Delays may make me miss the start dates.

I was originally told that start date would be beg Oct and need to resign from my current job,

SO Frustrating!
I've done the health thing but heard nothing at all. Not even if they've received the health form. No calls or anything.
I got told October for peterlee too but still no further forward.
It is frustrating. Hope you get something back soon x
Original post by Help16
I've done the health thing but heard nothing at all. Not even if they've received the health form. No calls or anything.
I got told October for peterlee too but still no further forward.
It is frustrating. Hope you get something back soon x

Thanks!

I'm in two minds whether to keep pestering OH assist as it is them that's holding things up , or just bite my lip and wait.
If it was me I'd be pestering them to be honest. I've emailed the recruitment team a couple of times for updates but nothing.

If it's the OH I'd call them and ask to speak to them and get them to spread up or ask what's holding them back. But that's me lol :smile: x
Original post by Help16
If it was me I'd be pestering them to be honest. I've emailed the recruitment team a couple of times for updates but nothing.

If it's the OH I'd call them and ask to speak to them and get them to spread up or ask what's holding them back. But that's me lol :smile: x

I have spoken to them 3 times and followed with 3 emails to one guy telling the they are holding me up for start date but as yet no response except
' I'll pass on to scheduling department so they can call you to make an appointment for someone to call you' Aaaaaarghhh!

I've decided that I will call an alternative number I have found and ask to speak to the scheduling department and see what that brings. I'll let you know!
Original post by Artortrees
I have spoken to them 3 times and followed with 3 emails to one guy telling the they are holding me up for start date but as yet no response except
' I'll pass on to scheduling department so they can call you to make an appointment for someone to call you' Aaaaaarghhh!

I've decided that I will call an alternative number I have found and ask to speak to the scheduling department and see what that brings. I'll let you know!

Good luck! 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending