The Student Room Group

My friends said I should go into modelling...but I think I'm ugly af.

Little backstory:
I was out with some friends today and we were buying a present for a friend but didn't know what to get her, so we took pictures and sent them. When taking pictures I kinda 'posed' with the stuff as a joke and my friends said "You've definitely thought about being a model", so I say "Yeah but who hasn't?". So they asked why I've never gone for it and I told them its because I dont have the looks and they all disagreed.

Personally, I think I'm a 5/10 or a 6/10. I have a very unsymmetrical face and my jaw is kinda skewered to the left, it looks really weird.

Now this isnt me fishing for compliments or anything, but why is it that we view ourselves much less than other people do?
Post a picture if you want? Or PM?

I think how we see ourselves in a mirror or camera is different to how others see us! #Moooose
Original post by Hackerman
but why is it that we view ourselves much less than other people do?

We notice a lot more about ourselves than other people do so we're like "OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS ONE BAD THING THAT IS BAD THAT SHOULDN'T BE THERE" whereas everybody else is like "M8 THAT BIT DOESN'T MATTER THE WHOLE OF YOU IS RLLY GOOD" because usually the whole is pretty good when somebody's only thing to whine about is their slightly skewered jaw.
Little backstory:
I was out with some friends today and we were buying a present for a friend but didn't know what to get her, so we took pictures and sent them. When taking pictures I kinda 'posed' with the stuff as a joke and my friends said "You've definitely thought about being a model", so I say "Yeah but who hasn't?". So they asked why I've never gone for it and I told them its because I dont have the looks and they all disagreed.

Personally, I think I'm a 5/10 or a 6/10. I have a very unsymmetrical face and my jaw is kinda skewered to the left, it looks really weird.

Now this isnt me fishing for compliments or anything, but why is it that we view ourselves much less than other people do?

Most people see them selves as ugly as, so do I anyway and I imagine most people would anyway
Yeah, sure you do...
Reply 5
There are loads of ugly models around, who do you think they get to do the Before photos for make up, diets and plastic surgery?
Thats what all pretty people say...

and probably because we are stuck with the same face for all our lives..unless you have plastic surgery
Reply 7
Original post by OvergrownMoose
Post a picture if you want? Or PM?

I think how we see ourselves in a mirror or camera is different to how others see us! #Moooose

Boom. Thats my exact problem, dude. When looking in the mirror, I'm like "you know what, I'm not that bad". But in pictures we get completely flipped. It makes me think - whenever I look in the mirror thinking that I dont look that bad, people are going to see the exact opposite of me, which is the bad looking one. See what I'm getting at? So we're basically never that 'not bad looking' person.
Why is it a compliment to say that you could go into modelling?
Reply 9
Original post by BobBobson
Why is it a compliment to say that you could go into modelling?

Its not, buddy. Just didn't want it to sound like "I'm ugly, pls tell me I'm not.".
Reply 10
Maybe, your friends meant you should make little plastic aeroplanes and ships rather than be photographed.
Reply 11
Boom. Thats my exact problem, dude. When looking in the mirror, I'm like "you know what, I'm not that bad". But in pictures we get completely flipped. It makes me think - whenever I look in the mirror thinking that I dont look that bad, people are going to see the exact opposite of me, which is the bad looking one. See what I'm getting at? So we're basically never that 'not bad looking' person.

It's an illusion. You are not used to seeing yourself from that perspective so you immediately pick up on all your flaws etc. because you are not used to seeing them from that perspective.
Reply 12
Post a pic and I'll let you know if she was right or not

Quick Reply

Latest