The Student Room Group

Being kicked out of home :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Allie4
Not certain but if you are 18 and at the risk of becoming homeless then go to your local council, see if they can get you a flat somewhere.

worth a try

assuming the OP is eligible by virture of citizenship / IDLR in his own right and habitual residence ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by castmesoftly
I do have a British passport, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

in that case the Local Authority responsible for housing where you live ( District council where there isa two teir structure) has a statutory responsibility as you are Biritish citizen habitually resident in that District.
gtfo asap - call the shelters , get a job, get an education, get yourself a place, live your life. Man i wish i was a guy, i would've left a long time ago... but honour killings lol
Original post by zippyRN
in that case the Local Authority responsible for housing where you live ( District council where there isa two teir structure) has a statutory responsibility as you are Biritish citizen habitually resident in that District.

So I'm definitely eligible for shelter assistance? That is some welcome assurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
gtfo asap - call the shelters , get a job, get an education, get yourself a place, live your life. Man i wish i was a guy, i would've left a long time ago... but honour killings lol

😂 If only it were that easy...*sigh*

Honor killings? Tell me where you live and I'll come pick you up on my way out, no joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm definitely eligible for shelter assistance? That is some welcome assurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-housing-if-homeless

if you consider that that is a realistic possibility then you should speak to the Police

however choosing to live in the 21st centruy means cutting all ties with the throwbacks ...
Only skipped through the thread. for what its worth.

1. Get your passport.

2. Decide if you wish to leave home/ are going to get booted, then getting access to hoising is your priority. Shelter and centrepoint if in London are good suggestions or any charity for the young homeless. They cna give you your options.

3. I am unsure and think its less likely the LA are under a duty to house you becayse you are 18. Shelter or centrepoimy cna tell you. If you cnat find out I will look it up.

3. prepare an escape kit including money, passport and anything vital including a set of clothes and any essentials, then place it somewhere you cna assemble easily, so if the worts comes to the worst grab it and go.

4. Shelter/ CAB can advise you on how to access the benefits system. You will be able to get housing benefit, which will be enough fo a room in a shared house. unfortunately it wont be much and its difficult when you have no job and no deposit. I would look for a housing charity in your area. Shelter will know.

5. Get a job and save money. By this time you need to escape your dad and fend for yourself. Eventually you might get a bedsit and be independent. You may wish to hide from your father if he is a violent man or will cause trouble. Once you cna pay for yourself, food, rent, etc, then you cna consider the next step.

6. Imo that would be college or maybe even an access course next year. Careers advice as well to decide what you wish to do.

7. You could also consider an apprenticeship, Some are good and cna give you skills. Some are only a year.

8. either get a better job and be independent/ follow a career or go to uni via an access course. You cna stay there and work wherever it is during golidays.

9. get a good degree, have an independent life, have a career when you come out. never have to see your dad again.

that would be my rough plan.

os saw some mention of honour killings. its too late for that. Common sense hide and protect yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger

1. Get your passport.

good advice

2. Decide if you wish to leave home/ are going to get booted, then getting access to hoising is your priority. Shelter and centrepoint if in London are good suggestions or any charity for the young homeless. They cna give you your options.

3. I am unsure and think its less likely the LA are under a duty to house you becayse you are 18. Shelter or centrepoimy cna tell you. If you cnat find out I will look it up.

poor advice

leaving unless it is on the advice of the Police is the worst possible thing to do , in doing so you make yourself intentionally homeless and ineleiglbe for help beyond access to advice and to apply for housing benefit

you need to the thrown out / your parents need to refuse to allow you to return or you need to advised to leave by the Police - then you are homeless due to the actions of others and therefore fully eligible for all forms of support .
Original post by 999tigger

1. Get your passport.

3. prepare an escape kit including money, passport and anything vital including a set of clothes and any essentials, then place it somewhere you cna assemble easily, so if the worts comes to the worst grab it and go.

4. Shelter/ CAB can advise you on how to access the benefits system. You will be able to get housing benefit, which will be enough fo a room in a shared house. unfortunately it wont be much and its difficult when you have no job and no deposit. I would look for a housing charity in your area. Shelter will know.

5. Get a job and save money. By this time you need to escape your dad and fend for yourself. Eventually you might get a bedsit and be independent. You may wish to hide from your father if he is a violent man or will cause trouble. Once you cna pay for yourself, food, rent, etc, then you cna consider the next step.

6. Imo that would be college or maybe even an access course next year. Careers advice as well to decide what you wish to do.

7. You could also consider an apprenticeship, Some are good and cna give you skills. Some are only a year.

8. either get a better job and be independent/ follow a career or go to uni via an access course. You cna stay there and work wherever it is during golidays.

9. get a good degree, have an independent life, have a career when you come out. never have to see your dad again.

that would be my rough plan.

os saw some mention of honour killings. its too late for that. Common sense hide and protect yourself.

Thanks for the dedicated reply!! The quickbag is a good idea, things might flip...

Original post by zippyRN
leaving unless it is on the advice of the Police is the worst possible thing to do , in doing so you make yourself intentionally homeless and ineleiglbe for help beyond access to advice and to apply for housing benefit

you need to the thrown out / your parents need to refuse to allow you to return or you need to advised to leave by the Police - then you are homeless due to the actions of others and therefore fully eligible for all forms of support .

I did see this part while researching. 'Intentionally homeless' means severely reduced integration into the systems I'll need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN
good advice

poor advice

Not really because their first port of call is to get proper advice and an idea of what their options are. Thats a safeguard to avoid any fundamental mistakes.
I never said leave I said decide whether he wanted to and then talk to the porfessionals.

Are you suggesting talking to professional housing advisers whose job it is to deal with such situations is bad advice?

Are you suggesting they will not know what to do? Ridiculous.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 72
Only if he has a National Insurance Number. He should be on minimum wage at least - ACAS Helpline is the place to go Tel 0300 123 1100.
Original post by shawtyb
well as your 18, try moving out instead...just a thought?

Yeah. Because it's that easy :colonhash:
Original post by WBZ144
PM me the grade that you got for your AS-level and what sort of subject you would like to do. I will research which universities and courses would take you.

1478564123065.jpg
3 certificates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN
if you consider that that is a realistic possibility then you should speak to the Police

however choosing to live in the 21st centruy means cutting all ties with the throwbacks ...

"If you say "no" to me I am not afraid to kill you and I'd gladly face the consequences"
- Dad

Doesn't work - brother tried it

Don't have it in me to do that, I know I'll **** up one day and I'll pay the price

😂 If only it were that easy...*sigh*

Honor killings? Tell me where you live and I'll come pick you up on my way out, no joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't - dont have it in me
Would rather wait til they pass away - sounds evil but that's how I feel lol

Maybe one day, keep us posted yeah? Good luck <3

OK, so 12 UCAS points plus extenuating circumstances. See if any unis will take you on for foundation year or a HND. If not you have two options: find a way to leave home and start college or do a foundation year or HND at the Open University and then transfer. You will still be entitled to SLC and all of the student discounts and other benefits if you're an OU student so you can still move out into student accommodation, unless I'm very mistaken.
I had a friend with the same problem! enrol to a college, and talk to your teacher about it and they might help! They're here for a reason and they do make sure you're safe and because you're 18 get a part time job and the government might give you like a flat. You have the right to move out without your dads permission, he sounds really harsh! I'm sorry you're going through this you don't deserve it

Posted from TSR Mobile
"If you say "no" to me I am not afraid to kill you and I'd gladly face the consequences"
- Dad

Doesn't work - brother tried it

Don't have it in me to do that, I know I'll **** up one day and I'll pay the price

Can't - dont have it in me
Would rather wait til they pass away - sounds evil but that's how I feel lol

Maybe one day, keep us posted yeah? Good luck <3

I have the same mentality. We gotta overcone it though, this isn't right for us. It can't be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WBZ144
OK, so 12 UCAS points plus extenuating circumstances. See if any unis will take you on for foundation year or a HND. If not you have two options: find a way to leave home and start college or do a foundation year or HND at the Open University and then transfer. You will still be entitled to SLC and all of the student discounts and other benefits if you're an OU student so you can still move out into student accommodation, unless I'm very mistaken.

Sounds like the best plan for me. I just got SMS from my dad...

Posting it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending