The Student Room Group

Is this Illegal?

say person A sent an email to BC&D ( saying they were going to complete terrorist acts)
Person D replied to the comment and then forwarded THEIR REPLY to persons ABCEF, with gmails system when replying to an email the orginal email is atached at the bottom with a different colour (I was not aware) could person D get in trouble?

This happend to me yesterday and the police got involved.... ffs (this all happend on school server)

any opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Was it meant as a joke?
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Was it meant as a joke?

Doesnt matter, terror threat is still a terror threat.
It has to be investigated, person D could get in trouble, but they should be able to explain their way out of the hole easily enough
They're trying to help anyone perceived as being 'vulnerable to radicalisation' at the moment rather than criminalising them so it's likely you'll get a referral to Prevent or something, I doubt you're going to end up with a criminal record for a private joke
Reply 4
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Was it meant as a joke?

the first message was sent to the entire school and my reply was me "hacking" this IP address. I took screenshots from a youtube video. Is the school threatening me by saying they will contact the unis I have applied to?
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
They're trying to help anyone perceived as being 'vulnerable to radicalisation' at the moment rather than criminalising them so it's likely you'll get a referral to Prevent or something, I doubt you're going to end up with a criminal record for a private joke

The schools only excuse for expelling me was because I made the message accessible to more people. I personally think that is ****ing ******** because for instance taking the news as an example. BBC share terrorist videos or terrorist videos etc on their website and make it accessible for millions of people and they are never charged with terrorism? (yes that is what I have apparently done...)
Reply 6
Original post by an_atheist
Doesnt matter, terror threat is still a terror threat.
It has to be investigated, person D could get in trouble, but they should be able to explain their way out of the hole easily enough

How exactly is person D supposed to get in trouble? They simply messaged the person back and sent it to a few more people(which didn't send as the school has to approve mass messages). I've been told that I am basically a terrorist? Great am I the only one that doesn't see any logic behind this...
Original post by NoahMal
The schools only excuse for expelling me was because I made the message accessible to more people. I personally think that is ****ing ******** because for instance taking the news as an example. BBC share terrorist videos or terrorist videos etc on their website and make it accessible for millions of people and they are never charged with terrorism? (yes that is what I have apparently done...)

you were permanently excluded? That surprises me, the school I worked in this sort of thing would be taken very seriously because it is very serious, it isn't something to joke about and while I doubt a 16 year old having a laugh would get in serious trouble, you need to be aware that you could in the future if you do it again, however I would expect a fixed term exclusion or inclusion for a couple of days to be a more reasonable punishment
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
you were permanently excluded? That surprises me, the school I worked in this sort of thing would be taken very seriously because it is very serious, it isn't something to joke about and while I doubt a 16 year old having a laugh would get in serious trouble, you need to be aware that you could in the future if you do it again, however I would expect a fixed term exclusion or inclusion for a couple of days to be a more reasonable punishment

It was for 2 days, they said that they might contact the universities I have applied too...
Reply 9
Why would you do something so stupid?
Reply 10
Original post by NoahMal
How exactly is person D supposed to get in trouble? They simply messaged the person back and sent it to a few more people(which didn't send as the school has to approve mass messages). I've been told that I am basically a terrorist? Great am I the only one that doesn't see any logic behind this...

You better have a good reason for calling yourself Person D :wink:
Original post by NoahMal
It was for 2 days, they said that they might contact the universities I have applied too...

They have written a reference to the universities on your behalf, so if they consider it to be relevant information they'd be expected to pass it on from a professional point of view.

Regardless of whether or not it was a 'joke' it was a monumentally stupid thing to do.
Reply 12
Original post by Luneth
Why would you do something so stupid?

I'm finding it difficult to understand what I have done wrong..
Reply 13
Original post by NoahMal
I'm finding it difficult to understand what I have done wrong..

Maybe you can clear it up for me? Did you send the original email, forward it or did you send more emails after the original? Any way in which you were involved is pretty stupid.
Original post by NoahMal
say person A sent an email to BC&D ( saying they were going to complete terrorist acts)
Person D replied to the comment and then forwarded THEIR REPLY to persons ABCEF, with gmails system when replying to an email the orginal email is atached at the bottom with a different colour (I was not aware) could person D get in trouble?

This happend to me yesterday and the police got involved.... ffs (this all happend on school server)

any opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Why would anyone do that?
I'm not surprised the police were involved.
Don't get anything like that started again.
It's probably on your criminal record now.
Reply 15
Original post by Luneth
Maybe you can clear it up for me? Did you send the original email, forward it or did you send more emails after the original? Any way in which you were involved is pretty stupid.

someone sent it to about 400 people in my school, I'm im year 13 and I though it was due to this that I recieved the email, but it was because I was in another group it got sent to. I then replied with me pretending to hack their location with an email explain that "I got this lads" I then proceded to attempt to send my banterous reply of me "hacking" them to my year. Due to Gmails system they attach the previous email at the bottom of a reply in a smaller font and different colour. It was because of this message being at the bottom that I have been accused of being part of the terrorist threat... The message did not go through as the school system required approval prior to sending emails to an entire year group.

I have been acused of attepting to pass on a terrorist threat. All I can think of it what about majour new channels that do that every day? what about people that share terrorist videos? what happens to all those people that knowingly do it, and im just sitting here being spoken too from the police as if I sent that terrorist threat. ( it was obviously a joke as it was spelt by a 5 year old spelling every 4 words wrong...)

Im failing to see what I have done wrong, I understand prehaps I shouldn't have sent my reply to my entire year, but I didnt purposly share any terrorist threat nor did I participate in making or sending the orignal email.
Reply 16
Original post by Mvine001
Why would anyone do that?
I'm not surprised the police were involved.
Don't get anything like that started again.
It's probably on your criminal record now.

On my criminal record for unknowingly sharing an email I received?

I didn't send the terror threat nor did I knowingly forward it to a few more people.
Original post by NoahMal
On my criminal record for unknowingly sharing an email I received?

I didn't send the terror threat nor did I knowingly forward it to a few more people.

My point is if you did share a terror threat email, that's why the police were involved.
That's why it would probably be on the criminal record.
I am not blaming you for this at all.
It's just a shame you were dragged into it.
Reply 18
Original post by Mvine001
My point is if you did share a terror threat email, that's why the police were involved.
That's why it would probably be on the criminal record.
I am not blaming you for this at all.
It's just a shame you were dragged into it.

I attempted to share it yes but then the school system blocked me from it as whole year group emails required approval from the teachers before they are send and it is therefore a pending email.
Original post by NoahMal
I attempted to share it yes but then the school system blocked me from it as whole year group emails required approval from the teachers before they are send and it is therefore a pending email.

It's not going to be shared if the teachers have to give permission for emails.
You are safe, for now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending