The Student Room Group

Hazard perception test help?

I've failed my driving theory twice now, and both times it has been the hazard perception that has let me down. The fisrt time, i got 41/44 (needed to pass) and this time I got only 34 (there was a disrtraction in the room but the centre denies it even happened :/).

I bought a disk of practice questions, but I have used all of the clips on the disc so can remember the hazards as I see the clip. How can I prepare any more than doing all of the DVSA videos?

Also, is anyone else having a problem with this part of the test? I got 57/75 on the morning of the test, but it seemed to drop drastically when someone came in the room to 'fix the computer' next to mine.
Reply 1
They don't just reuse the clips on the practice questions, first of all, so don't waste your time memorising them!

If you're having trouble, you could try the double clicking technique. Click once when you see a hazard, then again when you first think that you need to change speed or direction. If you're still having trouble, try double clicking slightly apart whenever you see something that you predict that you will be likely to need to react to.

Remember, you're not only clicking to show that you've seen a hazard, or when you need to react to a hazard. Click when you see a hazard that you *will* need to react to.

I hope this helps.
Same here, was failed on on the hazard perception today, 47/50 for questions and 41/75 hazard p. The crazy thing is I've never failed on hazard perception before (passed whole test in 2013, expired, failed on retake last year on the questions) so I don't even know what went wrong this time.
The whole theory system is flawed and a money making scheme, it should be about 20 questions on the most important things which you should need to get all right (speed limits, crossings, highway code, why should we need to know about headrests and commonsense questions about horses ?!) and any hazard spotting can be seen in the practical, it's not making us safer drivers overall it's just an incredibly laborious process and money in their pockets. There are people driving around today who never had to complete a hazard perception test, which is essentially a computer game imo. Just another way the government is f***ing us over among the long list of ways.
/rant
Original post by sek510i
They don't just reuse the clips on the practice questions, first of all, so don't waste your time memorising them!

If you're having trouble, you could try the double clicking technique. Click once when you see a hazard, then again when you first think that you need to change speed or direction. If you're still having trouble, try double clicking slightly apart whenever you see something that you predict that you will be likely to need to react to.

Remember, you're not only clicking to show that you've seen a hazard, or when you need to react to a hazard. Click when you see a hazard that you *will* need to react to.

I hope this helps.

How many times are we actually supposed to click? I used to think it was click per point (so at least five clicks) but I've also read it can be more? Like when we first see the hazard how many times after that do we click. Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Walkin'Butterfly
How many times are we actually supposed to click? I used to think it was click per point (so at least five clicks) but I've also read it can be more? Like when we first see the hazard how many times after that do we click. Thanks

The idea is that you get scored based on how soon after the hazard starts to develop you click. The trick is to click as soon as possible after it becomes clear that your car needs to change speed or direction.

You get scored on your best click for each hazard, so in theory you only need to click once per hazard. I would recommend clicking once when you see something that *could* become a hazard and then a couple of times when something is clearly becoming a hazard.

You'll only be scored on one of your clicks, but the others are like a backup, just in case you were too early with the first one.
Honestly I clicked 3 or 4 times every time I saw a hazard developing, just to be sure. You can be pretty liberal with your clicks as long as you're not just clicking everything.

The whole theory system is flawed and a money making scheme, it should be about 20 questions on the most important things which you should need to get all right (speed limits, crossings, highway code, why should we need to know about headrests and commonsense questions about horses ?!) and any hazard spotting can be seen in the practical, it's not making us safer drivers overall it's just an incredibly laborious process and money in their pockets. There are people driving around today who never had to complete a hazard perception test, which is essentially a computer game imo. Just another way the government is f***ing us over among the long list of ways.
/rant

All of the questions on the theory are important and if you're struggling passing it then you most likely haven't done enough actual studying.
Original post by sek510i
The idea is that you get scored based on how soon after the hazard starts to develop you click. The trick is to click as soon as possible after it becomes clear that your car needs to change speed or direction.

You get scored on your best click for each hazard, so in theory you only need to click once per hazard. I would recommend clicking once when you see something that *could* become a hazard and then a couple of times when something is clearly becoming a hazard.

You'll only be scored on one of your clicks, but the others are like a backup, just in case you were too early with the first one.

Helps a lot, thanks. I was usually clicking about 4 or 5 times but what actually happened was that on some clips I must have not responded fast enough, and then put that with being disqualified for one clip, lost me enough points to fail.
Original post by coldplasma
Honestly I clicked 3 or 4 times every time I saw a hazard developing, just to be sure. You can be pretty liberal with your clicks as long as you're not just clicking everything.

All of the questions on the theory are important and if you're struggling passing it then you most likely haven't done enough actual studying.

I respect some of the questions are necessary to know, I still think it's over the top just the sheer amount of questions in the bank that we have to memorise, it's more like an exam than a car theory test. And some questions are genuinely silly.
Like I said I've passed the questions twice now and I've been failed on the hazard perception by 3 points, I just think it's unfair that there are people driving around who never had to do the same test.
Or fine, make it as difficult as possible but charge people one deposit sum and then let them retake free, if we're let down by a few points how can they punish people who just genuinely want to pass the test. I think this government wants to keep young people off the road or just get as much money as possible
I respect some of the questions are necessary to know, I still think it's over the top just the sheer amount of questions in the bank that we have to memorise, it's more like an exam than a car theory test. And some questions are genuinely silly.
Like I said I've passed the questions twice now and I've been failed on the hazard perception by 3 points, I just think it's unfair that there are people driving around who never had to do the same test.
Or fine, make it as difficult as possible but charge people one deposit sum and then let them retake free, if we're let down by a few points how can they punish people who just genuinely want to pass the test. I think this government wants to keep young people off the road or just get as much money as possible

You're not supposed to memorise the questions, you're supposed to memorise and understand the highway code. I got 50/50 on my theory test because I spent a lot of time reading and understanding the code, and when I failed a question in a practice test, I would go and read the whole relevant section. Literally anyone can do it, if you're at the point where passing is a matter of probability, then you genuinely have not studied enough.
Original post by coldplasma
You're not supposed to memorise the questions, you're supposed to memorise and understand the highway code. I got 50/50 on my theory test because I spent a lot of time reading and understanding the code, and when I failed a question in a practice test, I would go and read the whole relevant section. Literally anyone can do it, if you're at the point where passing is a matter of probability, then you genuinely have not studied enough.

I have passed it and I do understand the Highway code. (Not being argumentative, just wanted to say that) I think the hazard perception is still unecessary but I guess we'll have to disagree
Google online hazard perception test practice for more clips.
Also, some apps may have 1 or 2 free clips

The trick with the hazard perception is to click when you see the hazard, then when it develops and one more after that for good measure.

I also watched youtube videos on this.

In my exam, I just pretended like the hp test was a game. It got me through it better anyway.

Good luck. Hope you pass with flying colours.

Tbh, i didn't find the theory or hp test any use...especially as I'd already had a lot of actual practice on the road and pretty much knew the main and important highway code rules but I can see how it could be useful for some people.
So I was thinking for some time if I should share it or not, eventually it could be a precaution to everyone who is still yet to pass driving theory test.
Basically I have done 2nd attempt to pass my theory test recently, while I passed question part (Out of 50 questions I have got 46 questions answered correctly), but I failed with hazard perception part. Two of my attempts/videos were penalized either due to "constant pattern mouse clicks/rhythmical clicks" and/or "too quick clicks in a short time".
The problem is not in that I did not spot the hazard, In one case I actually spotted it earlier than it unfolded, and began to click early to make sure I do not miss "5 points" mark, and I clicked up until the hazard was gone.
In other case I was simply aware of the hazard but hazard unfolded slowly does making me click in a slow constant pattern to make sure again I will not miss any of the points.
I wrote a pretty long appeal email to DVSA. Challenging them that I do not agree with the decision that I am simply penalised NOT for missing to spot unfolding hazards but for unintentionally breaking "mouse click format". I have received respond from them and they said they are going to review my test and see if there is anything they can do and who knows maybe to give me a pass?
Once I may have clicked many times a bit too fast, as the hazard began to develop quite quickly and on another one I may have clicked rhythmically as the hazard was developing slowly.
But still I do not agree with being penalised for unintentionally breaking mouse click format rules yet spotting all hazards in a specified time frame set by the examiners.
If you are penalised for unintentionally breaking "click mouse format, it" means that there is really something wrong with the way the test is set. What significance have clicking a mouse and real life situation, if you fail to spot hazards I would agree you are not fit to drive the car, but to fail because of some silly mouse click format that is pretty hard NOT to break while you are sitting anxious awaiting for the hazard to develop and once a while failing to stay within "mouse click format" set of rules.
If only one of those videos was not penalised I am 99% sure that I would pass theory test, but the truth is that I was penalised twice and I was short of 3 points to pass!!!!
Original post by jasonrose98
I've failed my driving theory twice now, and both times it has been the hazard perception that has let me down. The fisrt time, i got 41/44 (needed to pass) and this time I got only 34 (there was a disrtraction in the room but the centre denies it even happened :/).

I bought a disk of practice questions, but I have used all of the clips on the disc so can remember the hazards as I see the clip. How can I prepare any more than doing all of the DVSA videos?

Also, is anyone else having a problem with this part of the test? I got 57/75 on the morning of the test, but it seemed to drop drastically when someone came in the room to 'fix the computer' next to mine.

So I was thinking for some time if I should share it or not, eventually it could be a precaution to everyone who is still yet to pass driving theory test.
Basically I have done 2nd attempt to pass my theory test recently, while I passed question part (Out of 50 questions I have got 46 questions answered correctly), but I failed with hazard perception part. Two of my attempts/videos were penalized either due to "constant pattern mouse clicks/rhythmical clicks" and/or "too quick clicks in a short time".

The problem is not in that I did not spot the hazard, In one case I actually spotted it earlier than it unfolded, and began to click early to make sure I do not miss "5 points" mark, and I clicked up until the hazard was gone.
In other case I was simply aware of the hazard but hazard unfolded slowly does making me click in a slow constant pattern to make sure again I will not miss any of the points.
I wrote a pretty long appeal email to DVSA. Challenging them that I do not agree with the decision that I am simply penalised NOT for missing to spot unfolding hazards but for unintentionally breaking "mouse click format". I have received respond from them and they said they are going to review my test and see if there is anything they can do and who knows maybe to give me a pass?
Once I may have clicked many times a bit too fast, as the hazard began to develop quite quickly and on another one I may have clicked rhythmically as the hazard was developing slowly.
But still I do not agree with being penalised for unintentionally breaking mouse click format rules yet spotting all hazards in a specified time frame set by the examiners.
If you are penalised for unintentionally breaking "click mouse format, it" means that there is really something wrong with the way the test is set. What significance have clicking a mouse and real life situation, if you fail to spot hazards I would agree you are not fit to drive the car, but to fail because of some silly mouse click format that is pretty hard NOT to break while you are sitting anxious awaiting for the hazard to develop and once a while failing to stay within "mouse click format" set of rules.
If only one of those videos was not penalised I am 99% sure that I would pass theory test, but the truth is that I was penalised twice and I was short of 3 points!!!!
I just failed mine yesterday, last time I did it for my old motorcycle I did it easy this time around all the clips were CGI and on the learning disc they are not didn't know if there is a disc with the CGI clips on I've had a full car license since 1987 and now want to do the bike test ,HELP
Yes be very careful with over clicking! Luckily I still passed but had a message come up saying I would receive no points for one of the hazards for clicking in a pattern. After that I was nervous for the rest of the test.

I would click as soon as I saw a hazard but a lot of the time it was too early, so I clicked every couple of seconds until the hazard had passed. Most of the time this was fine, but as I said, one time I got penalised.

I think the reason I was clicking too early is that I was clicking hazards at the stage they were still a ‘potential hazard’. For example, people walking towards a crossing isn’t actually a hazard until it’s clear they are going to cross.

It’s an annoying system but I do get it, it’s imlortant to be able to recognise potential hazards and understand road signs. I never really understood how important it is to read these random road is until I passed and started driving alone! It’s nice to know that a Ford means you might end up driving through some water 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending