The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Changing Courses

Hello,

I have applied for a combined History and English Literature course at Lancaster and have received a conditional offer. However, I was wondering if it's possible to change my choice to just History before I confirm?

Also, regarding my current offer, if my request to change courses is rejected, will I keep my original offer for the combined course?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by emerson1999
Hello,

I have applied for a combined History and English Literature course at Lancaster and have received a conditional offer. However, I was wondering if it's possible to change my choice to just History before I confirm?

Also, regarding my current offer, if my request to change courses is rejected, will I keep my original offer for the combined course?

Thank you.

You would need to ask the uni directly to see if they will consider you for the new course - they probably will, if you meet the entry requirements. You shouldn't lose your conditional offer by doing this.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You would need to ask the uni directly to see if they will consider you for the new course - they probably will, if you meet the entry requirements. You shouldn't lose your conditional offer by doing this.

Thank you that is very helpful.
Reply 3
Just a point that, when I was a first year, friends doing history had to choose two minor subjects alongside their history major, and some did English Lit as one minor. If you don't have the option to get an offer for their straight History course, an option would be to start off doing History and English Lit (alongside the minor you'd choose), and then during the year speak to your course administrator and change to the single degree from the combined.

I did this in my first year - I was initially doing Financial Maths (i.e. maths and accounting & finance), but switched in my first year to just Maths. In my experience, my department was very flexible with this, because I'd done the necessary modules in my first year anyway.

This is one of the things I found to be a massive selling point for Lancaster - the fact that people don't always go into uni knowing what they want to study, so the minor scheme gives you the flexibility to choose. In your case, you'd have the flexibility to choose to study only History, only English Lit, only the other subject you chose as a minor (with some exceptions), or a combination of the aforementioned :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by eimmas
Just a point that, when I was a first year, friends doing history had to choose two minor subjects alongside their history major, and some did English Lit as one minor. If you don't have the option to get an offer for their straight History course, an option would be to start off doing History and English Lit (alongside the minor you'd choose), and then during the year speak to your course administrator and change to the single degree from the combined.

I did this in my first year - I was initially doing Financial Maths (i.e. maths and accounting & finance), but switched in my first year to just Maths. In my experience, my department was very flexible with this, because I'd done the necessary modules in my first year anyway.

This is one of the things I found to be a massive selling point for Lancaster - the fact that people don't always go into uni knowing what they want to study, so the minor scheme gives you the flexibility to choose. In your case, you'd have the flexibility to choose to study only History, only English Lit, only the other subject you chose as a minor (with some exceptions), or a combination of the aforementioned :smile:

Thank you so much this information is really useful. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending