The Student Room Group

Once you get into a university, can you change courses in the first weeks?

Say I go to a university for a course I applied to, but hate it in the first 2 weeks, if I fulfil the entry requirements for another similar course e.g. changing from physics to engineering, or chemistry to physics, will they let you change it?

Is this matter quite uni specific or do most let you?

If not would you just have to leave?

I've heard people can change courses after the first year too, is that allowed depending on your first year results/
Reply 1
Original post by potassiumnitrate
Say I go to a university for a course I applied to, but hate it in the first 2 weeks, if I fulfil the entry requirements for another similar course e.g. changing from physics to engineering, or chemistry to physics, will they let you change it?

I've heard people can change courses after the first year too, is that allowed depending on your first year results/

If they have enough space, and you fulfil the requirements then yeah. You'll have to inform your tutor first.
Original post by kkboyk
If they have enough space, and you fulfil the requirements then yeah. You'll have to inform your tutor first.

Thanks and by fufilling the requirements do you mean only A levels right?

What I mean is do you think would they have to consider you like a UCAS applicant with a statement, or work experience or look at your reference again? Or is it simply 'you got the grades, you can move'?
Reply 3

What I mean is do you think would they have to consider you like a UCAS applicant with a statement, or work experience or look at your reference again? Or is it simply 'you got the grades, you can move'?

well it depends really. generally if the subjects are close then it would only be a matter of getting the departments approval - providing you have the grades (most unis ucas points and minimum grade thresholds in particular subjects). If its like moving from maths to film studies then it would be more complicated.Also, you go through a process of enrolment so theres a chance you might have to re-enrol no need to fill in ucas applicant/personal statement yada yada
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

They don't have to allow you to change, but if they have space it's often quite possible. They know that you are likely to drop out otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XueYing
well it depends really. generally if the subjects are close then it would only be a matter of getting the departments approval - providing you have the grades (most unis ucas points and minimum grade thresholds in particular subjects). If its like moving from maths to film studies then it would be more complicated.Also, you go through a process of enrolment so theres a chance you might have to re-enrol no need to fill in ucas applicant/personal statement yada yada

Thank you, I'm just unsure about my course and want to make sure that I can still change if I really feel the need to later on.
Original post by jneill
They don't have to allow you to change, but if they have space it's often quite possible. They know that you are likely to drop out otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply, I didnt know you commented outside the Cambridge applicants thread lol
Reply 7
Thank you for your reply, I didnt know you commented outside the Cambridge applicants thread lol

In exceptional circumstances :smile:
Reply 8
Some similar courses share a first year - specifically I'm thinking of Computing subjects at Nott Trent.
As above really. It is dependant on each university, some actively encourage it where as some only offer on certain situations.

The best time to transfer courses is at the start of the year, so if you really are thinking about changing course I'd recommend seeking out your options as soon as possible.

If you meet the requirements for the new course then your already half way there!
Thank you, I'm just unsure about my course and want to make sure that I can still change if I really feel the need to later on.

Your best bet is to contact your universities and ask them this question directly.

If they're very huffy and tell you it isn't going to happen then at least you go in with your eyes open. If they're clear that they'll be helpful then again you know what you're getting into (ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to and write it down - that way if they tell you the wrong information you can kick up a stink :wink:). In the mean time use your summer after exams to do more research into what you'll be studying - it's much easier to swap courses BEFORE results day and/or before enrolment than it will be later on into the course.

Worst case scenario is that you end up realising too late in the year that you want to swap and so have to restart first year - in that case you might want to apply elsewhere via UCAS or your university might handle it internally if you don't want to chance universities.

Funding wise everyone gets one "gift" year to allow for false starts or having to resit a year - so if you do need to start again then that's fine.

in short yes in the first 6 weeks if after first year you most likely can switch but you might have to start from the first year of the new course although some units might be transferable.
Can people please stop making out that this is simple or straightforward - it varies MASSIVELY between universities and courses (and for some international students it isn't allowed at all due to visa restrictions from UKVI). https://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-students/services_2/RS_accordian/change_of_degree_programme is an example of a university that only allows *some* flexibility for the first 2-4 weeks of term for example, http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/registrationTimetablesAssessment/Registration/Changes/Degree-Transfer-Conditions.pdf is a list of courses within LSE that in many cases will accept transfers under no circumstances, transfers onto courses with DBS or occupational health requirements are likely to be impossible etc etc etc)

One size does NOT fit all.

Changing TO Physics or chemistry will probably be ok in most cases (because physics and chem are undersubscribed at *most* universities), changing to mech eng or another oversubscribed engineering course with practical lab limitations is riskier (depending on the university).

Changing before the start of a course is more likely (but still risky). Applying for an unpopular/less popular course with the intention to switch to something more competitive is NEVER successful (and is something universities will watch out for and stomp on very firmly).
(edited 7 years ago)

They can only give you a space if they have free slots.Many of the courses will be full (covered above). As you have doubts, then what you should know is that universities will have a small period after enrolment (normally 14 days) within which you cna leave and they wont charge fees. Hassle but not as much as losing a years funding and incurring several thousand £ in debt for the firts term.

You can also look at clearing. Not really a good strategy imo to go without a good degree of confidence its the course you want to do.

It usually is possible - I changed from Law to Politics in the second week, and my university's policy is to allow transfers within the first four weeks; after that, a leave of absence until the next September would probably be required.

You'd have to meet the entry requirements for the new course, but otherwise the transfer would likely be fairly painless. I spoke to my law personal tutor on the Thursday morning; an hour later I had an email from the politics department welcoming me. I didn't have to do a personal statement or anything, but you may be required to demonstrate your dedication to the new course somehow, depending on your university's policies. The only difficult part for me was catching up with all the Politics work that I'd missed; even though it was only the second week, there was a lot, and I had to agree to waive any extenuating circumstances claims regarding my transfer.

Essentially, yes, it's possible, and it shouldn't be difficult, providing your new department has spaces and would've most likely accepted you if you'd applied to them in the first place. Just make sure it's the right choice for you, and always express your concerns to your personal tutor in your original department, as there may be a better solution than changing course.
It would depend entirely on the University. What one may allow, another may not. You're best off speaking to someone in the faculty.
if you fulfil the requirements for both i know most uni's let you go between Bsc and MMath for mathematics. :smile:
Original post by PQ
Your best bet is to contact your universities and ask them this question directly.

If they're very huffy and tell you it isn't going to happen then at least you go in with your eyes open. If they're clear that they'll be helpful then again you know what you're getting into (ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to and write it down - that way if they tell you the wrong information you can kick up a stink :wink:). In the mean time use your summer after exams to do more research into what you'll be studying - it's much easier to swap courses BEFORE results day and/or before enrolment than it will be later on into the course.

Worst case scenario is that you end up realising too late in the year that you want to swap and so have to restart first year - in that case you might want to apply elsewhere via UCAS or your university might handle it internally if you don't want to chance universities.

Funding wise everyone gets one "gift" year to allow for false starts or having to resit a year - so if you do need to start again then that's fine.

Thank you, yeah I guessed it would depend a lot on the university. I'm thinking of going to Durham and I'll definitely read more into the subject over the summer. I really dont want to redo a first year so chances are I'll stick to whatever I go with by October.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
It usually is possible - I changed from Law to Politics in the second week, and my university's policy is to allow transfers within the first four weeks; after that, a leave of absence until the next September would probably be required.

Thank you! Out of interest which university are you at? It seems good that they have a set policy for something like this .
Thank you! Out of interest which university are you at? It seems good that they have a set policy for something like this .

I'm at the University of York, and I think most universities will have similar policies. The process is simple for the first four weeks, requiring only the new and old departments to agree, whereas after that a change would require approval from much higher up and further consequences. Early doubts about courses seems to be common enough that having policies about it makes sense, but even then it's far from painless (if not in regard to the process, but everything from the workload, missing key introductory lectures/seminars, to even abandoning friends on your original course) and I obviously encourage serious consideration before switching if you think that changing course is what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending