The Student Room Group

super nervous about starting uni !!!

okay so i applied through clearing today and thankfully i got an offer, but i was fully expecting my results to be awful and i was thinking i would have to take a gap year to resit my exams, however when i got my results they weren't as bad as i was anticipating them to be and im hopefully going uni now, the thing is i just feel so anxious all of a sudden and for some reason it feels like i made a last minute decision to go if that makes sense? especially since i wasn't initially expecting to receive any offers through clearing with the grades i thought i received on my results, does anyone feel the same?
Reply 1
Original post by astrostial
okay so i applied through clearing today and thankfully i got an offer, but i was fully expecting my results to be awful and i was thinking i would have to take a gap year to resit my exams, however when i got my results they weren't as bad as i was anticipating them to be and im hopefully going uni now, the thing is i just feel so anxious all of a sudden and for some reason it feels like i made a last minute decision to go if that makes sense? especially since i wasn't initially expecting to receive any offers through clearing with the grades i thought i received on my results, does anyone feel the same?

This is a very natural feeling and everyone goes through this, don't worry. You're feeling this way because you have undergone a lot of stress with doing your A levels, getting your results and then clearing. I felt the same when it happened to me, but you still have a lot of time and you should be alright. You could sleep on it and research more into the course to reassure yourself this is the right one for you.
Reply 2
on the plus side, you've saved yourself resits and a year of your life studying again

sounds like the future is bright
Everyone is nervous before university - it is a huge unknown with all sorts of responsibilities to manage you haven’t had to before.

That said you figure it out - all the unknowns get found, the weeks before uni are normally a bit of a whirlwind but university is a truly great experience.
Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University,
I'd first of all like to say congratulations for getting an offer!
I just wanted to let you know that your feelings are extremely normal given the circumstances, you were expecting a certain grade, so you prepared yourself for a gap year, and one where university wouldn't have happened so close.
A lot of students experience the initial anxiety when they experience the realisation that they are going to university. I experienced something similar before I started and I'm now onto third year!
I'd recommend giving yourself some time to process this and see how you feel in a few days or weeks, and depending on how you feel, this can then influence your next steps.

Kind regards
Courtney H

Congratulations @astrostial on your exam results and your clearing offer !
You mention that you always planned uni, just much later but clearly your work and effort for your exams paid off and so Uni can happen sooner for you (if you want it to). I suspect that you wouldn't have enquired about clearing places unless a part of you wanted to go this year. I would encourage you to embrace the opportunity you have and accept your clearing offer if you are able and if it is something you are interested in and want to study.
Everyone starting uni feels anxious or worried about something and so try not to let any worries or imposter syndrome hold you back. Perhaps speak it over with family and friends because often communicating can help to not let things go round in circles in your head.
Wish you all the best with whatever decision you ultimately make and once again well done!
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Good morning @astrostial :smile:

I'm glad to hear you did better than you expected, hope you're feeling proud of yourself :smile: Like others have said below, it's completely normal to be feeling anxious all of a sudden and you're not alone in feeling this way. There'll be lots of support in place at your uni to help with the transition to studying a degree at uni. You'll soon feel at home when you start and make some great friendships and make the best memories.

Just embrace the change, it will lead to growth and new opportunities! And if you want to feel more prepared research the course you've been offered a place on some more, so learn about the course, faculty, facilities, you could reach out to the programme leaders/faculty and ask for any recommended reading or resources.

Stay open-minded, it may take some time to adjust to it all but I'm sure you'll make the most of all the wonderful opportunities ahead of you! Best of luck :smile:

Becky
Hi @astrostial

Congratulations on receiving your grades and offer to study at University. :biggrin:

I have just finished my second year at the University of Kent, and I do remember feeling anxious for first year at University.
It is totally normal to be nervous about going to University, it is after all a new environment and experience.

Please do not be concerned that it is a last minute decision, as a lot of people will be in your position. It will be a while until University starts, which gives you time to relax and get ready to go to University.

For me, University has already been an amazing experience despite me being very nervous before starting. Every first year student will be going through the same things. University is a really good place to meet new people, develop new hobbies, study, and to enjoy your time.

All the best with University! :smile:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @astrostial,

Congratulations on your offer!

Feeling nervous about starting university is completely normal. It's a big transition, and many people feel that way. Try to focus on the exciting opportunities and experiences that lie ahead. Reach out to current students or attend orientation events to ease your concerns. Remember, it's okay to be anxious, but you'll likely find your comfort zone with time. The main reason you feel this way is because it was so unexpected but that doesn’t mean it was the wrong decision :smile:

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

Hi there @astrostial,

Amazing news that you received an offer yesterday. Congratulations! 🎉

Please know that it's completely normal to be feeling anxious about the idea of change, but change is good and allows you to grow. Although you are feeling this way be assured that you are not alone and most students who will be starting with you will have some nervous. Remember that your hard work has got you here and try to see it as the being of a new journey. See if your university is offering any campus tours. Going to visit campus will help you get a feel of what life will be like for you as a student there. Like others have suggested maybe reach out to your friends or family to discuss through how you are feeling.

Wishing you all the best,
Sarah
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi, congratulations on the offer!
I want to reassure you that this is a completely normal way to feel, knowing that university is coming so soon is a scary thought and I definitely felt the same this time last year. My advice would be to get stuck in to looking at what activities your uni have during freshers week, look into details about your course that particularly interest you, and look at societies you can join, this way you can get excited about university and hopefully this will settle some nerves.
However, if you really feel you are not ready, you always have the option to take that gap year anyway. You can work, travel or get experience in a field of work you are interested in, all of which are valuable life experiences that can help you prepare for university.

I hope this is helpful, good luck! Faye :smile:

Ahh congratulations on getting your offer! How exciting :smile:
Totally normal to feel anxious, now that your adrenaline from results day has gone, the reality is setting in but it's all positive!
Everyone is in the same boat just try and focus on how great it'll be once you're there. To settle your nerves it may help to join some freshers groups, they tend to be quite popular on Facebook and once you know who you;ll be living with or who else will be on your course you might feel better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending