The Student Room Group

I just quit uni, wtf have I done...

Just got home after suspending from my degree. I have no idea what to do, I feel like I have no options in my life now...

Scroll to see replies

Oh well, good luck. Look for another course maybe or just go on the doll and sit around all day :smile:
Reply 2
which uni
Reply 3
I suspended because i couldn't handle the work and facing abuse in my life. Now i feel like I have nothing to live for.
is there any way you can reappeal?
Reply 5
Original post by Balabanator
is there any way you can reappeal?

I have only suspended, so technically i can go back in september and re-start my second year. I just feel awful right now
Original post by Anonymous
Just got home after suspending from my degree. I have no idea what to do, I feel like I have no options in my life now...

I suggest looking into apprenticeships and on job sites. The longer you sit at home, the more you'll get into your own head and make yourself feel worse. This isn't the end of the world, try to stay positive :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by CarysJSLewis
I suggest looking into apprenticeships and on job sites. The longer you sit at home, the more you'll get into your own head and make yourself feel worse. This isn't the end of the world, try to stay positive :smile:

I just want a degree though. Getting a good job through graduate employment was my biggest hope of escaping an abusive homelife. And now I'm back here, having left university, I feel like the biggest failure in the world.
You need to determine whether it was the course you couldn't handle (i.e. was it interesting, did you enjoy learning?) or being at university itself (i.e. was the workload too high, homesick or something else)... because if it is the latter, you may face similar issues going to another university.

Dont fret though that there isn't options. You could do an apprenticeship, go into work, apply again for university. There is so many options. For instance, I dropped out of Kent in December because I HATED the course, and it wasn't what I wanted to do for 3 years (not to mention financial burdens). A month later, I am working with 4/5 offers so far to do another course.

All is well. Take this time away from university to think about what you want, and then make decisions. As you said, you can always return to your uni if you want to try again. :smile:
Reply 9
I have only suspended, so technically i can go back in september and re-start my second year. I just feel awful right now

What's done is done. If you feel that bad already then maybe it was a bad idea but it sounds like you needed a break. Enjoy the spare time, keep going over work from first year to keep it fresh and try again.
What was the abuse?
just go to a uni where the work is easier ie one with lower course requirements
I just want a degree though. Getting a good job through graduate employment was my biggest hope of escaping an abusive homelife. And now I'm back h iere, having left university, I feel like the biggest failure in the world.

Well if it's just suspended, take some time for yourself, and when you go back, enquire about help from your university. There are always people there to offer advice in situations like this, because I doubt you'll be the only one going through it. What do you mean by abusive home life?
I think you should see a counsellor and discuss options and feelings with them. There's not a lot anonymous strangers on a message board can do to help your situation.
Original post by hpiercey3
You need to determine whether it was the course you couldn't handle (i.e. was it interesting, did you enjoy learning?) or being at university itself (i.e. was the workload too high, homesick or something else)... because if it is the latter, you may face similar issues going to another university.

Dont fret though that there isn't options. You could do an apprenticeship, go into work, apply again for university. There is so many options. For instance, I dropped out of Kent in December because I HATED the course, and it wasn't what I wanted to do for 3 years (not to mention financial burdens). A month later, I am working with 4/5 offers so far to do another course.

All is well. Take this time away from university to think about what you want, and then make decisions. As you said, you can always return to your uni if you want to try again. :smile:

Thank you. I think it was a combination of being away from my hometown and not being able to make friends in the new place, doing a really hard BSc which I don't think played to my 'strengths', and having really terrible anxiety.
I've suspended from uni to take the rest of the year off to sort my head out. I've actually just applied to universities nearer my hometown where I have existing friends, etc and it's a BA in a similar subject but I think I will find it easier to achieve on this course. Thank you so much for your kind words, I actually feel a lot better already.
I just want a degree though. Getting a good job through graduate employment was my biggest hope of escaping an abusive homelife. And now I'm back here, having left university, I feel like the biggest failure in the world.

Abusive homelife? What do you mean by that...?
Original post by Diego Costa
I think you should see a counsellor and discuss options and feelings with them. There's not a lot anonymous strangers on a message board can do to help your situation.

I know I need counselling and I keep making appointments to go but then I have terrible low self-esteem so I cancel the appointments because I think I'm wasting someone's time by talking to them about my problems
meditate. Go to the gym. Re-evaluate yourself and the goals' of your life.

If there is no way to go back to uni, you might as well spend this time on self-improvement or getting a bit of money
Original post by Balabanator
meditate. Go to the gym. Re-evaluate yourself and the goals' of your life.

If there is no way to go back to uni, you might as well spend this time on self-improvement or getting a bit of money

I know I need to take this time to work on myself, like you said. I do intend to get fitter, read more etc so I can start university again in September in a better frame of mind. I think I'm just in shock right now.
I know I need counselling and I keep making appointments to go but then I have terrible low self-esteem so I cancel the appointments because I think I'm wasting someone's time by talking to them about my problems

You're not, that's the simple fact. You don't know you're wasting their time until you've been in any circumstance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending