The Student Room Group

Housemates from hell

Okay, so at the start of the year my housemates were alright and we got along. However since, there's been many arguments over pathetic housemate stuff in general.

However unforuntately these two girls are so spiteful and petty that they will do anything possible to make mine and the other housemates lives hell.
For example, being as loud as possible into the morning (sometimes till like 5am) they'll constantly shout and scream and laugh, they'll turn their music up full blast, and run up and down the stairs stomping, slamming doors, whatever they can do!

Is there anything that me and my housemates can actually do to stop this continuing? Obviously it's interfering with my sleep, and arguing and standing up to them does absolutely nothing.

Any suggestions?
You can make complaints to whoever runs your calls - preferably to a warden or security while the noise is happening. It will be better if you all make complaints rather than just one of you. It might not make much difference though.
Reply 2
Every kitchen comes equipped with a knife...
Original post by catkit01
Okay, so at the start of the year my housemates were alright and we got along. However since, there's been many arguments over pathetic housemate stuff in general.

However unforuntately these two girls are so spiteful and petty that they will do anything possible to make mine and the other housemates lives hell.
For example, being as loud as possible into the morning (sometimes till like 5am) they'll constantly shout and scream and laugh, they'll turn their music up full blast, and run up and down the stairs stomping, slamming doors, whatever they can do!

Is there anything that me and my housemates can actually do to stop this continuing? Obviously it's interfering with my sleep, and arguing and standing up to them does absolutely nothing.

Any suggestions?

Can't stand people like that. I admire your patience with them... I'd have probably smothered them with a pillow by now.
As others have said, contact the person in charge of your accommodation. Hopefully if they continue like this, their performance in their course will drop and they'll have to leave university anyway...
I have had a similar experience and you know what there is nothing the university will do about it. University Halls are full of morons like that. I would recommend any first years, if you can to avoid student halls they are full of council estate scum.
Original post by Garth Cibious
I have had a similar experience and you know what there is nothing the university will do about it. University Halls are full of morons like that. I would recommend any first years, if you can to avoid student halls they are full of council estate scum.

I was veering towards halls over private accomodation, since I'll probably have to move out and rent from year 2 anyway, and having a communal area, while having a student team to talk about any problems to seemed good.

Of course you'll never know who you'll end up with (unless you organise beforehand), and who will be living in the same building as you. But wouldn't the hall's 'student support' team be of any help when it comes to mismatched roommates/noisy neighbours? :s:
Original post by BrainyBengali
I was veering towards halls over private accomodation, since I'll probably have to move out and rent from year 2 anyway, and having a communal area, while having a student team to talk about any problems to seemed good.

Of course you'll never know who you'll end up with (unless you organise beforehand), and who will be living in the same building as you. But wouldn't the hall's 'student support' team be of any help when it comes to mismatched roommates/noisy neighbours? :s:

From my experience, if it's just you that's being harassed they will ignore it & at best offer you another room somewhere else but remember university halls are crawling with low IQ scum so you might find the same filth in "new room"
Original post by BrainyBengali
wouldn't the hall's 'student support' team be of any help when it comes to mismatched roommates/noisy neighbours? :s:

like what?

if it's really severe SOMETIMES you can move rooms although this is generally only if someone has left their room which means there's every chance their flatmates aren't great either but other than that? not much to be done... some halls have fines attached to certain behaviours so complaints will lead to fines but students who cause huge problems tend not to care about fines and usually that just makes them more determined to be nasty to the complainer... this isn't high school where the two parties are sat down together to 'talk it out'
Original post by catkit01

Any suggestions?

You've sort of answered your own question. If they're totally resistant to any sort of sense or reason then you've either got to put up with it or move out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending