The Student Room Group

Living with someone who has serious asthma

I have a female housemate with serious asthma. She has had attacks everyday since last Sunday after she vacuumed the house. She has been coughing like hell in midnight. Though she may have a good coping strategy given that she has had it since childhood, her asthma appears not to be within control and I am concerned about her. I don't ask about it too much to avoid misunderstandings, but I am not sure what I may do to help her feel better. I mop the floor twice a week so far and am not sure if it could help over time.
Reply 1
If vacuuming the house is what has set it off, perhaps you could swap chores so that you do all the hoovering whilst she takes care of something else instead?

It might be wise for her to see a doctor in the first instance though, if she is having constant attacks!
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
If vacuuming the house is what has set it off, perhaps you could swap chores so that you do all the hoovering whilst she takes care of something else instead?

It might be wise for her to see a doctor in the first instance though, if she is having constant attacks!

She has a lot of conditions because of a rare genetic disorder. Asthma is one of them. I am not sure if she is still followed up by a GP. I do hope she could get some better remedies for herself.

I actually want to do all the cleaning for her but am simply too afraid to come up with that idea because I don't know how she may think...I do want to help her out of genuine concern.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
She has a lot of conditions because of a rare genetic disorder. Asthma is one of them. I am not sure if she is still followed up by a GP. I do hope she could get some better remedies for herself.

I actually want to do all the cleaning for her but am simply too afraid to come up with that idea because I don't know how she may think...I do want to help her out of genuine concern.

she should be registered with a gp. all you can do is encourage her to go.
Reply 4
I have severe asthma and sometimes something like dust will kick it off one day and won't do it the next day. If there are 'attacks' (as opposed to a bit of a flare up - there is a difference) that often without relief from the medication, she likely need hospital rather than the GP
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
she should be registered with a gp. all you can do is encourage her to go.

She has been living in the town for longer than me, so she must have. I would speak to her about this in an indirect way and hope she wouldn't have any hard feelings.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1

Tell her exactly this.

Quick Reply

Latest