The Student Room Group

Really ill need a blood test advise

Hey, so recently ive become very ill and i need to go for a blood test, however i have a huge phobia of needles, which is putting me off going how do i overcome the fear is anyone else suffering from a similar phobia what do you do when you go for one to keep your mind off it typing this is giving me cold feet :frown::s-smilie:
Reply 1
I work with needles everyday and that still doesnt make me any less scared of them haha. I'd say just dont look and it'll be fine!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, so recently ive become very ill and i need to go for a blood test, however i have a huge phobia of needles, which is putting me off going how do i overcome the fear is anyone else suffering from a similar phobia what do you do when you go for one to keep your mind off it typing this is giving me cold feet :frown::s-smilie:

I just don't look, close my eyes, and take deep breaths. The worst thing you can do is look at the needle (even though in reality it's so super little). The people who take blood are going to look after you, it's part of their job, so try not to worry. Try to think of it as a stepping stone to better understanding what's happening with your health :smile:
I don't have a phobia of needles but my sister does. She has avoided her GP out of this fear and put her own health at risk. Advice would be don't look and ask if you can have numbing cream on before.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

First you need to bit the bullet and go. If you were thinking of going to a walk-in blood clinic you may want to book an appointment instead. It will give you a bit more time in there to recover if you need to and you won't have to wait around watching people going in and out getting more scared.
Take somebody with you if you want. They can distract you and support you.

When you get there, mention you have a fear of needles. A lot of people do so they will not judge you. They should go a bit more easy on you if they know. Try your best to think of something else. Maybe go in with an interesting fact to encourage conversation with the nurse or read something on the wall.

I know saying "don't be scared" doesn't really help people not be scared, but honestly there is nothing to worry about. It will hurt a little and you might feel a bit dizzy and have a bruise, but it will be fine. Besides, it's for a good cause so it's worth any pain.

Hope that helps. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest