The Student Room Group

Share your driving test experience

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ohhello92x
You're welcome :smile: :biggrin:

Hi again 😊 Just one quick question, as part if the test does the instructor draw on a piece of paper and get you to remember the route? Someone told me this today but I have never heared it before.😕

Thanks! 🙂
Original post by Rexar
Hi again 😊 Just one quick question, as part if the test does the instructor draw on a piece of paper and get you to remember the route? Someone told me this today but I have never heared it before.😕

Thanks! 🙂

No, the examiner gives your directions verbally for you to remember for the independent drive :smile:, I've never heard of an examiner drawing on a bit of paper, none of the examiners I had on my tests had drawn a route out for me :redface:
Reply 22
No, the examiner gives your directions verbally for you to remember for the independent drive :smile:, I've never heard of an examiner drawing on a bit of paper, none of the examiners I had on my tests had drawn a route out for me :redface:

Okay thats great, thanks! 😊
Original post by Rexar
Okay thats great, thanks! 😊

You're welcome 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24

Original post by Rexar

Thanks! 🙂

There are different ways of doing it. Sometimes, they might just say "follow the sign to Bedford" and then it's up to you to do that. Or they can give you directions to remember. If they do that, they can also draw you a diagram - but you won't get a diagram on its own. Read this page to see an example.
Original post by Juno
There are different ways of doing it. Sometimes, they might just say "follow the sign to Bedford" and then it's up to you to do that. Or they can give you directions to remember. If they do that, they can also draw you a diagram - but you won't get a diagram on its own. Read this page to see an example.

Ah fair enough. Never knew that, just assumed it would be verbal directions for the independent drive, as I've had verbal directions from 3 different examiners for my 3 attempts. Guess different examiners/test centres do it differently maybe :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Passed my theory first time, and my practical second time.

First practical was actually the better of the two tests, funnily enough. The examiner said, aside from the serious fault where he had to use the brakes, it was a
pretty good drive and it was a shame to fail me. But hey ho.
It's funny because the lesson before my first test was a shambles. I was so terrible because of nerves. But on the actual test, I was pretty calm and collected until I
made that mistake. What made me feel worse was the fact that he hadn't even
picked up his pad and pen to mark anything down until I made that mistake!

There was a reversal for the second test. I was pretty cool, calm and collected on
the lesson before the test. But the actual test, I was a wreck. I looked like a deer
in the headlights, honestly, and I made mistakes I don't normally make solely
because of nerves. But I must have done something right because I passed.

I think on the second test, because I'd failed once before, I applied more
pressure to myself which only made me more nervous. Like someone else said,
the tests do go by a lot quicker than you think.

Good luck on your test!
Reply 27
Original post by CleverLilViper
Passed my theory first time, and my practical second time.

First practical was actually the better of the two tests, funnily enough. The examiner said, aside from the serious fault where he had to use the brakes, it was a
pretty good drive and it was a shame to fail me. But hey ho.
It's funny because the lesson before my first test was a shambles. I was so terrible because of nerves. But on the actual test, I was pretty calm and collected until I
made that mistake. What made me feel worse was the fact that he hadn't even
picked up his pad and pen to mark anything down until I made that mistake!

There was a reversal for the second test. I was pretty cool, calm and collected on
the lesson before the test. But the actual test, I was a wreck. I looked like a deer
in the headlights, honestly, and I made mistakes I don't normally make solely
because of nerves. But I must have done something right because I passed.

I think on the second test, because I'd failed once before, I applied more
pressure to myself which only made me more nervous. Like someone else said,
the tests do go by a lot quicker than you think.

Good luck on your test!

Thank you!
I passed first time with 1 minor (for steering). I had about 20 hours of lessons in an automatic and maybe 30 in a manual. I did an auto test as I couldn't get the hang of the gears and clutch in a manual, I do a lot of very busy town and city driving and the constant stop start suits an automatic more anyway.
The most interesting thing which happened is that some kid on a kick scooter tried to cross the road in front of me. His dad grabbed him late, but I managed to do the mirror checks and swerve around him in complete control. :cool:
I failed my first attempt! I was really bad at checking my mirrors (well the examiner thought I was anyway...). I found you really need to move your head around so the examiner knows you're checking the correct mirrors, you can't just look with your eyes and keep your head straight.

After that, I had a super long waiting time for my next test even though I was perfectly ready and capable.
I used this driving test cancellation checker Driving Test UK (they are so cheap, like usually, it costs upwards £20 for these checkers, Driving Test UK only costs £10!).

They found me a test in days and passed!!! Freedom on the roads! Definitely recommend them.
Reply 31
Thanks for all your help and advice guys! 😊 I really appreciate all the kind words!
I am pleased to say that I passed my test with 2 minors! 😀

Good luck to everyone else who is taking their driving test in the near future!!!
Original post by Rexar
Hi all! :smile:

I have my driving test in 1 week. As the title says, share your experiences, when did you take your test? How many times did it take you to pass? Why did you fail?

Hello!

Firstly, well done on going for your driving test! I'm sure you will be great :smile:

I'll start with my theory :P First time round I actually got kicked out of the booth because the system thought I was cheating on the hazard perception (I thought I understood how to do it but apparently I was clicking too much in a sequence). So that kind of put me off a bit, but I really wanted to learn so I did it again, passed with 50/50 and 70/75 :biggrin:

I then had a mock driving test (provided by the company I was with) and that was absolute shambles! I nearly hit another car on the dual carriageway because I switched lanes without checking my reverse mirror. Huge mistake, but one that I will never EVER make again. I think I came out of that with one serious fault and 12 minors :P I just did some more driving, checked my mirrors A LOT more and I felt a lot more comfortable.

Actual driving test. I'm a confident driver but I was so nervous because I was being examined on it, and I was under pressure cause I'd paid for it all etc.
My examiner was lovely - at the start he could tell I was a bit nervous so he was really quiet, but then I started talking to him and he responded really well. I hit a curb within 2 seconds of leaving the test centre (well done Morgan) and I stopped, looked at it and then carried on. I had to do a second manoeuvre because when I was doing my left hand reverse some post van sped really quickly up to the back of me and I had to do one of those hard stops :P Turn in the road was better.

I passed first time with 3 minors (2 for the curb thing and 1 for pulling up too slowly to the side of the road), and this was in about June 2016. He said if I had panicked when I hit the curb, he would have failed me there and then.

I have a few tips which might help, I would have loved to known these before I did my test!

1) Don't panic if something goes wrong! Just don't. If something goes wrong, often they just want to see how you cope to it - potentially if you'd be a danger or not on the road. Everyone makes mistakes, and if they're only minor ones its fine :smile: Just take a second to analyse (rule out any damage) and then carry on.

2) If you're nervous, do what you need to to calm down. For me that was talking to the examiner, sometimes they let you turn on the radio, so don't feel awkward about it. Heck, I got so nervous I asked the examiner what his favourite thing about driving was, and he happily responded and we had a nice conversation.

3) Enjoy it - you know your stuff - you've done your theory so academically its all there. Be confident.

4) Check your mirrors, lots and lots. I can't stress this enough. Each time you set off, check your mirrors, every turn, check multiple mirrors. This was my main downfall when preparing for my mock.

5) If you do something good (a mirror check) exaggerate the movement a little, so the examiner can clearly see it. Then they can't mark you down for not doing it.

6) It's okay to ask if a problem arises on the road (sure it wont though). When my sister did her test there was a problem on the roundabout, and to avoid being in any danger she asked her examiner what to do - he said that was a sensible thing to do :smile:

I'm sure you will be good, just drive like you would in a practice. Even if things seem to be going wrong now, it will hopefully all shape up for the test.

Mo :smile:
Original post by Rexar
Thanks for all your help and advice guys! 😊 I really appreciate all the kind words!

Good luck to everyone else who is taking their driving test in the near future!!!

Oh, sorry I'm a tad late :P Well done!!
Reply 34
Original post by Morganblue68
Oh, sorry I'm a tad late :P Well done!!

Thanks allot! 😊 Also thanks for all your great advice which I am sure will be useful to lots of people. (That's a nice theory score BTW)😉

Similar to you, on my test I got the reverse round a corner manoeuvre and I hit the corner. However because I stayed calm and corrected myself well this only counted as one minor.

Good luck to everyone taking their test! 😄
Original post by Rexar

Well done :biggrin:! Feels great doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Well done :biggrin:! Feels great doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true!😉 Feels good to have the freedom 😄
Reply 37
This beautiful girl I fancied the pants off told me that the examiner said, 'Congratulations Miss--- you've passed'. I got the same (notorious) guy and 'Right, you've scraped through, but dont think you know everything about driving'.
Original post by Rexar
Very true!😉 Feels good to have the freedom 😄

Yeah exactly :smile:! Bet you're glad it's all over now? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Yeah exactly :smile:! Bet you're glad it's all over now? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sure am! 😊 Only thing is now is that I can actually drive now, cars I got nothing to drive in XD (I was able to drive more before I passed my test) 😆

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending