The Student Room Group

Quit now I can get in uni?

if I get a unconditional to my local uni can I just drop out of all my classes now and go to uni next year? Its all a bit lame anyway.
that would be stupid
Reply 2
I guess so, but if you bang out your A Levels you could probs go to a better uni than a local one. Plus I'm pretty sure employers still look at A Level grades, you would probably be at a disadvantage aswell to people in your lecture as they would have a better knowledge of the relevant subjects which correspond with your course to give that background knowledge.
Idk tbh but imo you might aswell stay in school
Not a great attitude... What sort of impression will that give your future employers...?
Reply 4
Firstly, moving to a different university is out of the question. My parents would never fund me and I'm not sure where I would get the money from.

Secondly, I would kind of agree with this statement in the traditional sense, but I'm pretty confident I will be better than most. Besides, I applied for computer science so it wont really matter how good you do at A levels.

And will my employers really care what I did 4 years ago?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by boredas
Firstly, moving to a different university is out of the question. My parents would never fund me and I'm not sure where I would get the money from.

Secondly, I would kind of agree with this statement in the traditional sense, but I'm pretty confident I will be better than most. Besides, I applied for computer science so it wont really matter how good you do at A levels.

No you shouldn't drop out, would you also not do your second term if you manage to get enough to pass in your first term at Uni??

Anything you learn now WILL be of use to you in the future, I wouldn't squander the opportunity to finish your A-levels, you WILL live to regret it at some point in the future.
why do people like this want to go to university? I mean whether you can get away with it or not and utility for the course aside, if you don't like studying and learning why do you want to commit to three more years of study?

I guess because that is three years where you can doss around and do nothing.

Also why are your parents unwilling to fund you somewhere that is not local that seems strange.

This is the problem today though this sort of attitude wanting to do the bare minimum one can get away with. The annoying thing is though is a very large number of people on this forum think this guy who will most likely go to some sub standard university and make little to no effort their graduating with a 2:1 deserves the same level of success if not more then someone who worked their ass off and struggled to get a 2:1 from Oxbridge because of "um privilege."

This is why I say this countries future does not look good at all.
Reply 7
Original post by Luke7456
why do people like this want to go to university? I mean whether you can get away with it or not and utility for the course aside, if you don't like studying and learning why do you want to commit to three more years of study?

I guess because that is three years where you can doss around and do nothing.

Also why are your parents unwilling to fund you somewhere that is not local that seems strange.

This is the problem today though this sort of attitude wanting to do the bare minimum one can get away with. The annoying thing is though is a very large number of people on this forum think this guy who will most likely go to some sub standard university and make little to no effort their graduating with a 2:1 deserves the same level of success if not more then someone who worked their ass off and struggled to get a 2:1 from Oxbridge because of "um privilege."

This is why I say this countries future does not look good at all.

Theres not really much else I can do, I cant get a job round here. I want to do a online course like a cisco certificate but my parents wouldn't understand and think i was staying at home doing nothing all day.

I wouldn't mess around and do nothing, I know people that have gone to university and just not bothered going to the exams and its so stupid because you actually have to pay for it.

My parents are literally dirt cheap in every sense of the word we go to America like 3 times a year and have barely any money left over for anything else lol, also no one can help what there parents are like so this statement is very unfair in my opinion and you should be more sensitive about peoples parents because children cant help who there parents are.

I will never get in oxbrige; even the schools smartest kids that were basically worshiped didn't end up there. I have never heard of any one from my area going to oxbrige. Leeds and Nottingham yes but not oxbridge. Also I really couldn't care less about university prestige.

And in reply to your last statement, out of millions of people only the tens of thousands of people going to some elitist universities are worth anything for the future.. yeah ermm, thanks for making me not care about what you have to say.
Just complete your A-levels, as a user stated, their may be some CS concepts that you may not understand when you go to uni if you had not dropped out of your A-levels.

BTW I'm going to send you a PM.
Reply 9
Original post by boredas
Employers will check all your qualifications not just your degree. So when they ask how you managed to get into Uni without passing any A levels there goes your job prospects.
Original post by boredas
Theres not really much else I can do, I cant get a job round here. I want to do a online course like a cisco certificate but my parents wouldn't understand and think i was staying at home doing nothing all day.

I wouldn't mess around and do nothing, I know people that have gone to university and just not bothered going to the exams and its so stupid because you actually have to pay for it.

My parents are literally dirt cheap in every sense of the word we go to America like 3 times a year and have barely any money left over for anything else lol, also no one can help what there parents are like so this statement is very unfair in my opinion and you should be more sensitive about peoples parents because children cant help who there parents are.

I will never get in oxbrige; even the schools smartest kids that were basically worshiped didn't end up there. I have never heard of any one from my area going to oxbrige. Leeds and Nottingham yes but not oxbridge. Also I really couldn't care less about university prestige.

And in reply to your last statement, out of millions of people only the tens of thousands of people going to some elitist universities are worth anything for the future.. yeah ermm, thanks for making me not care about what you have to say.

I dont recall saying its Oxbridge or nothing I don't think I have ever said that. You really are a piece of work aren't you. I don't think it matters what percentage of people from your school did or did not go to a russel group uni or oxbridge. We are talking about your attitude here.

I find it ironic that your family apparently go to america 3 times a year but live in poverty it makes me wonder if your a troll. A lot of families can never afford a holiday to america or its a once in a life time thing. Regardless though even if your family were living in a dumpster behind tescos and only going to Hawaii 15 times a year (soz couldn't resist) its the attitude your presenting I am critiquing not your attainment.

One guy on here I dont want to mention names its not fair had a head injury went to one of the worst universities in the country and really struggled to get a 2:1 despite me clashing with him on a few things here I really respect that because he did not let circumstances get him down and really fought for it. You on the other hand are presenting yourself as Lazy and looking for an excuse not to work.

For the vast majority of degrees if you factor in the fact that you only pay it back when earning over a certain threshold they are worth pursuing financially. there are always degrees of success which deserve more credit or reward
A degree from Oxbridge should be harder and deserve more compensation when graduating then
a degree from Imperial LSE and UCL whom should be harder and deserve more then a degree from
Durham Bristol Nottingham who should be harder and deserve more compensation then a degree from
Hull Coventry Kent who should be harder and deserve more compensation then a degree from
London Met Salford and Anglia Ruskin

Basically its a sliding scale and I think one should aim for the best they can achieve, obviously one could visit UCL and Imperial decide they dont like London but love Bristol and decide on that instead that is fine, but I wouldn't think much of a straight A* student deciding to go to Salford because the entry requirements were lower and they thought they would not need to work hard.

I hold myself to high standards because I want a lot out of life, I want to defy what was said about me and I have been tested and proven to have what is considered a very high IQ (I consider it mediocre been in the top % or so isn't very rare when you start to think about how many other individuals will fit into that bracket) I however am aware that a lot of people will not have the same ability nor the same ambitions.

I get that, but I still believe in maintaining a reasonable effort having respect for work and doing justice to yourself.

not meaning to get to personal but I have had Autism my whole life for whatever reason when I was younger my IQ was a lot lower I got put in the special class at school for some time I did not know it at the time because I was functioning at a special level etc. I have progressed way beyond any reasonable expectations.

I bump into some people from the former special class occasionally apart from myself and one girl who is now a single mother with 3 daughters no one from that class is functioning on an above average level. I know single mother has a bad rep etc but she is intellectually functioning above average and I don't know the history there.

Anyway the rest of them worked very hard most struggling to complete a key skills qualification which taught really really basic things. However they worked their ass off for that which btw probably doesn't even compare to a GCSE let alone a degree. They did not choose to be born with cognitive impairments/disabilities they cant help their genetics. the likely hood is that regardless of how hard they work for the rest of their lives they wont be able to achieve an output which is economically worth the same value as you could produce by simply dossing.

However I have a respect for them because they work their ass off to make the best of what they have to play their hand the best they can. You on the other hand appear to want to take the easiest root possible and not bother then act like I am a stuck up toff for criticizing that.

I know some people might think I am a bit elitist etc coming from a wealthy family etc but that is only half the truth. Yes My family are well off now and could even be considered rich, Yes it now appears I won a Genetic Lottery etc but the outlook was not always good. Growing up I was written of as profoundly handicapped and delayed, my family was teething on the brink of bankruptcy we almost became homeless and nearly lost everything. my parents were always having blazing arguments and I often got the short end of it as did my brothers. I didn't have the privledged background when I did my GCSEs A levels or Degree. Nor did I have the IQ I have now, this is why I am doing it over. However yeah when younger I still took the piss a bit and did not do justice to what I have come from, which is why I am working hard to put it right now. People didn't respect me before because I didn't deserve it I was lazy. Now they do because I am fighting for something.

I don't care what cards your dealt in life, I care that you play them to the best of your ability. If your not willing to do that don't expect me to take you seriously when you moan about raking in smaller pots then others.
Reply 11
To sum up this thread for you, stop being a lazy stuck up ******** and finish your A Levels. If not, I sincerely hope that the Uni queries this and retracts your offer later down the line.
Original post by boredas
if I get a unconditional to my local uni can I just drop out of all my classes now and go to uni next year? Its all a bit lame anyway.

Original post by boredas

Original post by boredas

An unconditional offer is made on the basis that the information in your application is accurate.

If you CHANGE that information (by dropping A levels you said you would complete) then your offer is no longer valid and your university can withdraw your place.

If you're thinking about doing this you need to ask your university BEFORE you drop any qualifications listed in your UCAS application. If they agree in writing that dropping those qualifications wont result in a change/removal of your offer then you can go ahead (although under law you would need to go into education or training elsewhere for 20 hours a week or more until you're 18: https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school )
Quite a few graduate schemes have a minimum UCAS point cut-off. I would just stay on.
Reply 14
Sorry I have to admit I wrote this in a trollish way to annoy people but the facts were the same.

I wont make excuses but I was not in the mood to go into school for a year and really wanted to take a year off and go to uni next year.

A lot of things in life annoyed me and I skipped school a lot not to play video games but just stay in bed all day.

Things are still going poorly.

Last year I was one of the best students at least thats what they told my parents in parents evening.

Now I have teachers messaging me because its nearly the end of the course and Im ruining everything by never turning up or doing no work.

Which is true Im trying hard to do well but its all screwed up.

Hey atleast if i mess this up I can still get into my unconditional uni and try hard.

i dont know why I wrote like a troll.

Sorry
Reply 15
How do I delete?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending