The Student Room Group

Being asked to withdraw from NHS funded postgraduate university course

Dear Student Room

I wonder if people can help, there does not seem to be much information on the internet regarding what has happened to me. I have just been told that my extenuating circumstances application for a re-sit placement in an NHS hospital has not been accepted. My next option is to appeal the decision and then go to the Independent Adjudicator. Does anyone have any experience with appealing an exam board?

I am absolutely devastated.

If anyone has any experience of this it would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by HarrietJones
Dear Student Room

I wonder if people can help, there does not seem to be much information on the internet regarding what has happened to me. I have just been told that my extenuating circumstances application for a re-sit placement in an NHS hospital has not been accepted. My next option is to appeal the decision and then go to the Independent Adjudicator. Does anyone have any experience with appealing an exam board?

I am absolutely devastated.

If anyone has any experience of this it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear it. I have some tips:

1. Read the decision and their reasons for why your application failed. It would also be useful if you understood the rules they were working under.

2. Read the rules on appeals i.e what they look for.

3. Take note of any deadlines and the format required for the appeal document.

4 Get help from a student advisor or alternative a friend who can be objectuve and analyse information. A law grad wouldnt be bad but anyone who can write a reasonably coherent and structured answer. the argument needs to comply with the rules and emphasise the right points.

5. It will be helped with supporting evidence.

6. It should also address the reasons they say why you failed. If they were wrong then this needs to be said and why.

Its really hard to say beyond the above because we have no idea of the circumstances, your application, the rules or their decision. Its very importnat when appealing it is on point and presents your case effectively. That is why you or whoever advises ou will be well served if they have read the rules.

Start making a to do list. Give yourself a bit of a break/ cry/ eat/ sleep etc.
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. I only just got the decision today after waiting 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I did a re-sit placement and whilst I should have tried to resolve my first placement I walked away due to difficult circumstances at the time. This was a mistake because my resit at a busy NHS hospital was so awful. Due to behaviour from my educator and her colleague, which I can only describe as bullying, I suffered a complete nervous breakdown whilst on placement. After four weeks I was told that I was not mentally fit to continue my placement (this may have been true as they did a pretty good job on me!). I was not allowed to continue and whilst I reached my objectives I was told that I did not have enough evidence. I am going to appeal but I have put an application to the panel and to the exam board and I have lost both times. Once I have exhausted the appeal process I will go to the independent adjudicator. My academic and attendance are both good. I am incredulous as how these universities are allowed to behave like this and it is little wonder that the NHS is critically understaffed!
Hello. So sorry to hear about this. I'm afraid I don't have any advice to offer, but just wanted to wish you all the best. Some great advice from 999 there though I think. Good luck.
Original post by HarrietJones
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. I only just got the decision today after waiting 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I did a re-sit placement and whilst I should have tried to resolve my first placement I walked away due to difficult circumstances at the time. This was a mistake because my resit at a busy NHS hospital was so awful. Due to behaviour from my educator and her colleague, which I can only describe as bullying, I suffered a complete nervous breakdown whilst on placement. After four weeks I was told that I was not mentally fit to continue my placement (this may have been true as they did a pretty good job on me!). I was not allowed to continue and whilst I reached my objectives I was told that I did not have enough evidence. I am going to appeal but I have put an application to the panel and to the exam board and I have lost both times. Once I have exhausted the appeal process I will go to the independent adjudicator. My academic and attendance are both good. I am incredulous as how these universities are allowed to behave like this and it is little wonder that the NHS is critically understaffed!

You dont sound like you know what you are doing. Get the help of an advisor.. Without evidence then your case is much weaker, its just a claim.

Disability Rights
Disabled Students Helpline
Telephone: 0800 328 5050

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Also if you are a member of the RCN then you cna get legal help
https://www.rcn.org.uk/membership/legal-help
Hi thanks for wishing me well, Markova and 999, I am a member of Unison not RCN but they have referred me back to the student union. I am now undertaking an academic appeal based on procedural irregularities. I am not sure my case would come under Disability Rights? I am thinking of consulting a lawyer it would use up my limited savings. I am pleased with Student Union but this is my lost shot and there is a lot at stake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending