The Student Room Group

Uni halls or house share?!

Hello guys,
I'm studying mental health nursing in September. However, I don't know what to do. Wether to stay in uni halls or house share as house share may be cheaper?
Reply 1
I think you should house share. What Uni halls are charging for rent is ridiculous then again so are houses but have you factored things like food and other expenses in?
Reply 2
Original post by gino0753
I think you should house share. What Uni halls are charging for rent is ridiculous then again so are houses but have you factored things like food and other expenses in?

I know it's like £133 a week, everything is ridiculous amounts haha! No ive not, but I just think maybe it would be so much cheaper? As your paying monthly not weekly?
Reply 3
Original post by alm021:11
I know it's like £133 a week, everything is ridiculous amounts haha! No ive not, but I just think maybe it would be so much cheaper? As your paying monthly not weekly?

Haha you know, monthly 320 but house share so its deffo cheaper and food indivivudally is 28
Reply 4
Original post by gino0753
Haha you know, monthly 320 but house share so its deffo cheaper and food indivivudally is 28

But what if you don't get the same experience as if you were to stay in halls? And it's also finding people to house share with you
Hello guys,
I'm studying mental health nursing in September. However, I don't know what to do. Wether to stay in uni halls or house share as house share may be cheaper?

I think halls are better in the First year as you will meet more people.

Do check total costs as halls include lighting, water, heating, internet, cleaning of communal areas, insurance, ....

Other accommodation is room only and you will need to check additional costs.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
I think halls are better in the First year as you will meet more people.

Do check total costs as halls include lighting, water, heating, internet, cleaning of communal areas, insurance, ....

Other accommodation is room only and you will need to check additional costs.

Yes that's what I did think about, and then sharing in my second year. What acomadation would you say is the best one?
What's usually expected is that you go to halls for your first year then arrange accommodation outside of the uni with people you met that year. I don't exactly know your position so i dont know how you would house share, but i've got friends who arent in halls and it is a little harder to make friends/new people.
Hello guys,

Costs aside, then halls have a larger number of potential friends in the first year.. Friships might not be as deep, but if you dont get on there are always other people to make friends with.

Houses are a limited number of people (lets say 8) and if you get on well they become your family, but if not, then they cna become enemies and you cna feel very isolated and lonely. its pot luck. It helps if you are confident and robust..

You cna still make friends on your course, placements, uni bar, clubs and societies etc. people tend to do houses in yrs 2 and 3 but 1 can work great if you make friends. Factor in the money difference.

Quick Reply

Latest