The Student Room Group

****ing lost it today and possibly broke his mobile phone. Is my anger justified?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zarek
Down the loo was a bit much, just confiscating it would have been adequate. Best apologise, try for some make-up sex and a post-coital summit to agree smart phone rules at dinner going forward..

I agree this is a good idea. Some smartphone rules would be good.
Original post by EC
That is way you talk about your feelings so your relationship doesn't tumble and reaches this point. :frown:

And sometimes emotions are hard to understand, our own emotions are a pain in the ass. But it's best we clear our head and seek some space.

When in the moment you'll say/do thing's you'll later regret. :s-smilie:

Preach :yep:
Reply 62
Original post by sameehaiqbal
If it didnt help, take some time apart. Take a break to make him realise your worth and that you arent there to be ignored.

I don't really have much ****ing worth right now. Not working, constantly lazing around at home like a depressed *****, taking prescription drugs all the time and all that. I've been n a living zombie for like over a year now. That's probably why he treats me like **** ha.
Its one of those awkward moments where you have to apologise and accept your behaviour was poor. Say sorry. You should point out that you were upset though and that was due to his behaviour. maube you cna both agree to make some changes so you can live more peacefully together. You cant really expect it to last as its very fragile from your previous descroptions.
Original post by saraxh
Silent treatment

Guys have a word for "silent treatment". We call it "a bit of peace and quiet" :u:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Guys have a word for "silent treatment". We call it "a bit of peace and quiet" :u:

:rofl:
Reply 66
So you damage his expensive belongings instead :rofl: Chill yourself, your behaviour was totally unjustified. Everyone gets angry and you had every right to be angry, but how you controlled that anger leaves a LOT to be desired.

He can afford a new one, and he has an icloud so his **** won't disappear or anything, even if the mobile is ruined. It's not like a ruined his car. I know I should've handled it better though.
Original post by Ciel.
He can afford a new one, and he has an icloud so his **** won't disappear or anything, even if the mobile is ruined. It's not like a ruined his car. I know I should've handled it better though.

It's the principle though, you have absolutely no right to destroy his belongings just because he's upset you. I'm not for one second saying I'm a picture of calm at all times and I'm prone to flipping my lid when I'm pissed off and I would have done so if you put my phone down the f***ing toilet :rofl: but I've never broken someone else' stuff in anger because I have no right.
Reply 68
It's the principle though, you have absolutely no right to destroy his belongings just because he's upset you. I'm not for one second saying I'm a picture of calm at all times and I'm prone to flipping my lid when I'm pissed off and I would have done so if you put my phone down the f***ing toilet :rofl: but I've never broken someone else' stuff in anger because I have no right.

That was exactly my point.
Reply 69
Original post by Ciel.
I don't really have much ****ing worth right now. Not working, constantly lazing around at home like a depressed *****, taking prescription drugs all the time and all that. I've been n a living zombie for like over a year now. That's probably why he treats me like **** ha.

You can't live like that, you have to do something in order to feel better. Have you considered starting working again? Do you have a plan?

I agree with this. It also feeds into a generalised 'crazy woman' behaviour (I'm thinking here of the content of some of your other threads as well) which is going to end up making it harder for you to rationally discuss what's going wrong in this relationship. If you're not careful, he could easily start dismissing any concerns or issues you have as 'you're just a crazy woman ranting'.

I presume you've apologised for what you've done? Have you arranged to have the item you broke repaired or replaced?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.
So I made really a really awesome dinner for us today. I really put a lot of effort into it, believe me, I didn't even feel like getting out of bed in the morning, as usual. But I still did. And? And he (my boyfriend) was more interested in his stupid phone, browsing Facebook and ****, while eating. Don't get me wrong I do that a lot too but not when we are having a (kind of) special meal together!
This wasn't the first time either, he's been doing this for the past 2 weeks or so, I've asked him to stop before, too, a number of times. Today I just ****ing lost it, took it away from him, went to the bathroom and threw the damn thing in the toilet. He just called me crazy, no surprise really and I'm here alone now, rotting in our bedroom, feeling a bit guilty, but still secretly hoping that his mobile did not survive.
So? Justified? Complete overreaction? Idk anymore

Understandable that you are frustrated but my God, throwing his phone down the toilet, really?

You can either:
a) Apologise to him and talk to him about him being anti social
b) have apology sex to make up - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Apology%20Sex
Original post by Ciel.

Have you considered counselling?
Reply 73

I'm not that good at controlling my anger to be honest. It's still better than violence though. Believe me, I was tempted to throw the damn thing right in his face. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Original post by EC
You can't live like that, you have to do something in order to feel better. Have you considered starting working again? Do you have a plan?

I can't really go back to work. It would be great but I just can't. Anxiety/depression issues. They get worse when I'm around people.

Original post by Reality Check
I agree with this. It also feeds into a generalised 'crazy woman' behaviour (I'm thinking here of the content of some of your other threads as well) which is going to end up making it harder for you to rationally discuss what's going wrong in this relationship. If you're not careful, he could easily start dismissing any concerns or issues you have as 'you're just a crazy woman ranting'.

I presume you've apologised for what you've done? Have you arranged to have the item you broke repaired or replaced?

I'm actually a guy. (TSR, thanks again for getting rid off gender signs) Probably still crazy, though.
No, I haven't apologised. Not yet anyway. I've no idea if the phone is working or not, we're ignoring each other now.

Original post by Google22
Understandable that you are frustrated but my God, throwing his phone down the toilet, really?

You can either:
a) Apologise to him and talk to him about him being anti social
b) have apology sex to make up - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Apology%20Sex

Maybe I will apologise tomorrow. I'm still too annoyed tbh.
Reply 74
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Have you considered counselling?

No, it's pointless. I just don't want to.
Original post by Ciel.
No, it's pointless. I just don't want to.

You should consider it and allow people to support and help you because it's not healthy thinking that way about yourself. Have you told your boyfriend how you feel? If he knows then maybe he will understand that you are a bit sensitive these days and just need someone to be there for you and will probably consider putting his phone down.
****ing nutter, you should buy him a new one
The phone is worth hundreds and you just threw it in the toilet.

I would rather you smack me in the face.
Original post by Ciel.
So I made really a really awesome dinner for us today. I really put a lot of effort into it, believe me, I didn't even feel like getting out of bed in the morning, as usual. But I still did. And? And he (my boyfriend) was more interested in his stupid phone, browsing Facebook and ****, while eating. Don't get me wrong I do that a lot too but not when we are having a (kind of) special meal together!
This wasn't the first time either, he's been doing this for the past 2 weeks or so, I've asked him to stop before, too, a number of times. Today I just ****ing lost it, took it away from him, went to the bathroom and threw the damn thing in the toilet. He just called me crazy, no surprise really and I'm here alone now, rotting in our bedroom, feeling a bit guilty, but still secretly hoping that his mobile did not survive.
So? Justified? Complete overreaction? Idk anymore

Perhaps you need to agree some rules at meal times - you both turn phones off and put them away?
(edited 7 years ago)
If the roles were reversed and he threw your phone in anger, everyone would be screaming blue murder and telling you to leave that abusive person.

No your actions were not justified.

Quick Reply

Latest