The Student Room Group

Muslims currently at uni, what is your honest opinion of the culture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blah3210
Didn't Muhammad's first wife earn more than him? :s

Original post by AishaGirl
Yes actually, Khadija, Muhammad saw's first wife was a business women and earned significantly more than he did.

Original post by Ascend
...before Islam...

:laugh: The irony.

[video="youtube;rTz12bOprB4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTz12bOprB4[/video]
Original post by Good bloke
Western society is a shocking place to live, isn't it?. One wonders why so many people want to come here and put up with it, and why so few westerners move to the paradise that is Moslem Asia.

He's wasting your time. Next will come 'colonialism' and 'I'm only taking back stolen wealth/what is rightfully mine.'
Original post by Hydeman
He's wasting your time. Next will come 'colonialism' and 'I'm only taking back stolen wealth/what is rightfully mine.'
Clearly you didn't bother to read anything of what I said with an open mind. And you know nothing about my views, kek.

I am not a practicing Muslim fyi. I am merely posting studies, while you can appease yourself with your ad hominem attacks.
Original post by BasedPerson
I post sources, you troll.

I posted a source. I cannot help it if you ignore it. You appear to think 'troll' means 'argue against'. It doesn't.

why is there an enormous problem with Muslims refusing to assimilate?

Because they come from an alien culture and seek to import it here, while most locals, aside from liberal extremists, do not accept that they should.

There are hundreds of thousands of Western expats who have migrated to these countries?.

Yes: expatriates. They have not migrated to those countries; they are there temporarily, in the main (and usually only for a short stay as they cannot puit up with the heat and political conditions, even though the pay is good. They will return once their cultural enrichment programme is complete. The locals neither want them to nor allow them to assimilate.
Original post by AishaGirl
Don't act like you wouldn't feel a bit weird if your wife was earning more than you. I think there is still a lot of pressure on men to be the main providers in a family.

Muslim men are not sexist or misogynistic... some are as are some non muslim men. You're being completely biased.

Within EVERY race, religion or culture you have faults within people, don't try to pretend non muslims are perfect, far far from it.

I wouldn't, oddly enough.

You made a statement, then made a contradictory one subsequently.

Muslim men are not sexist or misogynistic

Has the implication that most if not all are.

some are as are some non muslim men

Here you take a step back.

Within EVERY race, religion or culture

This went from 0 to collectivist pretty quickly.

Being a Muslim is a voluntary religious association.

Being a Muslim implies some baseline beliefs.

Ergo it is not logically fallacious per se to group individuals like this.

However,

Pertaining to a country is an involuntary circumstantial association.

Pertaining to a country implies very little comparative to religion.

Ergo it is logically fallacious, in my view, to group individuals like this.

This isn't exactly addressing this statement, but rather your notion overall.

You cannot group people, by belief or activity, based on involuntary associations.

you have faults within people

Humanity is flawed, of course.

don't try to pretend non muslims are perfect, far far from it

When did they claim that?
you can appease yourself with your ad hominem attacks.

He made no attack on you.
Clearly you didn't bother to read anything of what I said with an open mind. And you know nothing about my views, kek.

I am not a practicing Muslim fyi. I am merely posting studies, while you can appease yourself with your ad hominem attacks.

I refer you back to that 1.5% marginal less happiness from the study you quoted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ad hominem attacks

An ad hominem isn't just a fancy way of saying 'insult.' I mocked your predictable arguments - only if I had tried to associate your character or personal faults with their credibility would you have even the ghost of a point. As for your studies, the numerous problems with them have already been pointed out to you.

kek, who's this?
Original post by Good bloke
Because they come from an alien culture and seek to import it here, while most locals, aside from liberal extremists, do not accept that they should.
Thank you for proving my point.

Btw, you still haven't refuted the study which I posted. It has nothing to do with "muhh Western culture is superior." You're giving me non-arguments

https://www.law.yale.edu/system/files/documents/pdf/Intellectual_Life/Stevenson_ParadoxDecliningFemaleHappiness_Dec08.pdf

I posted it for you again. Unless you think Stevenson & Wolfers are promoting a secret Islamist intellectual jihad, you have no argument against me.

My argument: Women less happy despite attaining more rights in the West.

Am I wrong? No.
Good goy OP.
Nice false reporting, and to everyone else that got so triggered.
But every time I get reported, 50 shekels are added to my paypal, so keep on reporting me.
Original post by jneill
I refer you back to that 1.5% marginal less happiness from the study you quoted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Different study.
Do you see yourself as a British citizen?
Oh god, this is still going on? :colonhash:
Different study.

I know. It was a UK study and therefore slightly more relevant.

So are you now saying a study you quoted is wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not Muslim but I also don't drink. The life so far has been fine for me. Socially, well I don't go out every night, I've been able to add 1/2 my course on steam or PSN and communicate with them well doing other things. Joined the Gym. It's all good.

Quick note - I'm older then 18 (started at 22) and am doing a computer course so we all play games anyway. Admittedly most do now but it's probably a higher rate on my course then whatever you're taking.

Overall not drinking has had 0 effect on me making friends.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Do you see yourself as a British citizen?

Me? I'm half British half Egyptian but I consider myself a British citizen of course :smile:
Original post by SomeGuyHere
we all play games anyway.

I play csgo and overwatch, do you play these games?
Original post by jneill
I know. It was a UK study and therefore slightly more relevant.

So are you now saying a study you quoted is wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean we are talking about a different study and topic altogether.

My argument was that women are less happy in the West despite attaining more rights. Here is the study I posted: https://www.law.yale.edu/system/files/documents/pdf/Intellectual_Life/Stevenson_ParadoxDecliningFemaleHappiness_Dec08.pdf

So far, no one has refuted the study I posted. They've just mocked me and my arguments. Like the idiot who said I would go on to talk about colonialism. He obviously misread my views.
OP if you are worried about these things, applying to a diverse uni is probably the best idea i.e. Manchester, Birmingham, UCL etc. these unis have large muslim populations and so it is very likely other people have similar concerns as yours therefore you would be much more likely to fit in. However, as others have said it is easy to live with non-muslims as most people don't drink or party every night perhaps once or twice a month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending