The Student Room Group

Share your driving test experience

Scroll to see replies

Passed the theory first time round couldn't wait to get onto the practical measure, I thought take the bull by the horns while you have the boost. I ended up taking the advise of friends who had passed quite quickly with a good instructor. Turned out to be a bad decision. I didn't have a car to practice privately in so I needed extra lessons. Despite a series of promises he ended up only offering me an hour a week which wasn't enough. I carried on with the instructor because I was a little bit scared to confront him over it and say I either need what you promised or I'm going with someone else. Eventually I did ditch the instructor, he came to the house demanding an explanation why which was both weird and frightening but I stood my ground. He sent me several texts like a jilted ex until I threatened to call the police if he didn't stop bothering me.

First time I took the actually test I failed, carried on the end not realising I'd failed. He said to me it was an excellent test, not a single minor test but I had mounted the curb. I had done so knowingly. As I came to a bend a crazed taxi driver sped towards me, he broke the law in doing so, if I hadn't mounted the curb to get out of his way he would have hit us head on. The examiner said he didn't want to fail me because he would have done the same but legally he had to.

Second time I took the test I failed, two minors and a major. The major was again not my fault but again someone thought I haven't the 5 extra second to be patient I'll just speed towards him and hope he gets out of the way.

Third time I passed without a single minor. Lesson learnt that no matter how good a driver you are it doesn't mean others are good drivers. Best advice I could offer anyone is when they offer you the option of having your instructor in the back seat do it. If you fail your instructor will know where you failed and you can work on it.
Original post by Morganblue68
Hello!

Firstly, well done on going for your driving test! I'm sure you will be great :smile:

I'll start with my theory :P First time round I actually got kicked out of the booth because the system thought I was cheating on the hazard perception (I thought I understood how to do it but apparently I was clicking too much in a sequence). So that kind of put me off a bit, but I really wanted to learn so I did it again, passed with 50/50 and 70/75 :biggrin:

I then had a mock driving test (provided by the company I was with) and that was absolute shambles! I nearly hit another car on the dual carriageway because I switched lanes without checking my reverse mirror. Huge mistake, but one that I will never EVER make again. I think I came out of that with one serious fault and 12 minors :P I just did some more driving, checked my mirrors A LOT more and I felt a lot more comfortable.

Actual driving test. I'm a confident driver but I was so nervous because I was being examined on it, and I was under pressure cause I'd paid for it all etc.
My examiner was lovely - at the start he could tell I was a bit nervous so he was really quiet, but then I started talking to him and he responded really well. I hit a curb within 2 seconds of leaving the test centre (well done Morgan) and I stopped, looked at it and then carried on. I had to do a second manoeuvre because when I was doing my left hand reverse some post van sped really quickly up to the back of me and I had to do one of those hard stops :P Turn in the road was better.

I passed first time with 3 minors (2 for the curb thing and 1 for pulling up too slowly to the side of the road), and this was in about June 2016. He said if I had panicked when I hit the curb, he would have failed me there and then.

I have a few tips which might help, I would have loved to known these before I did my test!

1) Don't panic if something goes wrong! Just don't. If something goes wrong, often they just want to see how you cope to it - potentially if you'd be a danger or not on the road. Everyone makes mistakes, and if they're only minor ones its fine :smile: Just take a second to analyse (rule out any damage) and then carry on.

2) If you're nervous, do what you need to to calm down. For me that was talking to the examiner, sometimes they let you turn on the radio, so don't feel awkward about it. Heck, I got so nervous I asked the examiner what his favourite thing about driving was, and he happily responded and we had a nice conversation.

3) Enjoy it - you know your stuff - you've done your theory so academically its all there. Be confident.

4) Check your mirrors, lots and lots. I can't stress this enough. Each time you set off, check your mirrors, every turn, check multiple mirrors. This was my main downfall when preparing for my mock.

5) If you do something good (a mirror check) exaggerate the movement a little, so the examiner can clearly see it. Then they can't mark you down for not doing it.

6) It's okay to ask if a problem arises on the road (sure it wont though). When my sister did her test there was a problem on the roundabout, and to avoid being in any danger she asked her examiner what to do - he said that was a sensible thing to do :smile:

I'm sure you will be good, just drive like you would in a practice. Even if things seem to be going wrong now, it will hopefully all shape up for the test.

Mo :smile:

I'm gonna bookmark this so I can read through it every day up till my test on Thursday, thanks for the advice! :smile:
Original post by CaptMag123
I'm gonna bookmark this so I can read through it every day up till my test on Thursday, thanks for the advice! :smile:

Aww thank you! Hope it all goes well :smile:
On my first test i failed with 4 minors and a serious. I was not happy with my examiner as he kept saying stuff under his breath and overall moody and hated his job. The serious was kind of annoying as i was at at dual carriage way, t-junction type thing and cars kept coming and coming, so i saw an opportunity to go when women was indicating to turn in to my road meaning i could go, but guess what? as soon as i'm about to go she cancels her indicator. However, my second time round i had a nice women as my examiner and it went quite well as i passed with 1 minor only.
Reply 64
Well I passed my practical first time with 4 minors but literally 2 minutes after it started the examiner asked me to parallel park on this relatively steep hill. I kept rolling all over the place, kept neglecting to use the accelerator :colondollar: until she told me to. Anyways after a few minutes of struggling I had the car sort of parallel and was about to straighten it before she stopped me saying that was enough. At that point I thought I had failed as I hadn't completed the manoeuvre :ashamed2: . After that everything went fine and so after that charade I was pleasantly surprised when she turned to me and said I had passed! :biggrin:
Original post by MattB_
Well I passed my practical first time with 4 minors but literally 2 minutes after it started the examiner asked me to parallel park on this relatively steep hill. I kept rolling all over the place, kept neglecting to use the accelerator :colondollar: until she told me to. Anyways after a few minutes of struggling I had the car sort of parallel and was about to straighten it before she stopped me saying that was enough. At that point I thought I had failed as I hadn't completed the manoeuvre :ashamed2: . After that everything went fine and so after that charade I was pleasantly surprised when she turned to me and said I had passed! :biggrin:

Congrats
Got my first driving lesson this Saturday. Wee bit anxious because you actually drive on your first lesson and I don't have a clue what I'm doing. One of my pals apparently accidentally drove on the other side of the dual carriageway and his instructor shouted "for f*** sake" during the lesson and had to fix it for him. :toofunny:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Took me 2 times to pass. Passed last month. Failed 1st time for pulling out in front of a car on a blind junction. Just about passed 2nd time, but only for having a good reaction to approaching a roundabout.
Well done to everyone who passed!!! I passed second 2nd attempt gladfully, i should have passed first but done a very stupid mistake which got me a serious fault. 1st test: i got 3-4 minors and a serious - the serious being not looking into my mirrors while trying to change lanes
2nd- 6 minors for blind exits and so on!
so to anyone struggling with there test/nerves theres nothing to be scared of just be confident and show them you can drive safley if you make mistake correct it as quickly as possible you never know the examiner could be lenient.
i passed on the 8th of march by the way and my slot was at 8:10 am!
and a bit of advice take an early slot so you hit traffic that way you wont get minors for speeding etc :smile:
Passed my theory first time in October last year, started taking driving lessons in November. Have my practical test tomorrow and feeling VERY anxious. I might try to get some non drowsy rescue remedy because my anxiety alone will cause me to feck up! Full of self doubt and it's forecast for heavy rain tomorrow which will be a bit of a pain.
Reply 70
Original post by MissDetermined
Passed my theory first time in October last year, started taking driving lessons in November. Have my practical test tomorrow and feeling VERY anxious. I might try to get some non drowsy rescue remedy because my anxiety alone will cause me to feck up! Full of self doubt and it's forecast for heavy rain tomorrow which will be a bit of a pain.

Hopefully the weather won't be too bad. Wish you all the best of luck :smile:
I passed my test a few day ago with 3 minors. Funnily it was nearly 5 months to the day of my theory.

Firstly I was super nervous before it. 5 minutes into the test behind another learner on her test and we both had pull out from behind a maintenance van on a narrow road because they were randomly fillling pot holes in on the other road, that was no a fun start. About 5 minutes later, I nearly missed a give way and had to brake harshly to stop in time, trying to pull out from there I stalled and thought I had failed, had only got a minor for control. 30 minutes in I had to do my manoeuvre - turn in the road my least favourite (had failed all attempts in the practice beforehand). Somehow I managed it with no minors (miracle)! About 10 minutes later I went over the curb coming out from under a narrow bridge. Got a minor for a steering (it was curved and I wasn't coming at speed) Thought I had definitely failed then. Got a minor somewhere for one dodgy meeting, I had to do lot of meetings in my test because I driving through parked up inner city suburbia.

When I got back to the test centre I was fully convinced I had failed and even said to the instructor something like it's okay I know I have failed - well I hadn't, it was a great moment of shock and surpise
Original post by Neddie001
I passed my test a few day ago with 3 minors. Funnily it was nearly 5 months to the day of my theory.

Firstly I was super nervous before it. 5 minutes into the test behind another learner on her test and we both had pull out from behind a maintenance van on a narrow road because they were randomly fillling pot holes in on the other road, that was no a fun start. About 5 minutes later, I nearly missed a give way and had to brake harshly to stop in time, trying to pull out from there I stalled and thought I had failed, had only got a minor for control. 30 minutes in I had to do my manoeuvre - turn in the road my least favourite (had failed all attempts in the practice beforehand). Somehow I managed it with no minors (miracle)! About 10 minutes later I went over the curb coming out from under a narrow bridge. Got a minor for a steering (it was curved and I wasn't coming at speed) Thought I had definitely failed then. Got a minor somewhere for one dodgy meeting, I had to do lot of meetings in my test because I driving through parked up inner city suburbia.

When I got back to the test centre I was fully convinced I had failed and even said to the instructor something like it's okay I know I have failed - well I hadn't, it was a great moment of shock and surpise

where did u take your test
[QUOTE="RicoK1994;70670994"]
Original post by Neddie001

where did u take your test

I did it in Kings Heath which is in the centre of Birmingham
Reply 74
i passed my driving test in 2nd attempt with 1minor for turning to left a bit wide. first attempt had, 2 majors and 5 minors. i was very tensed in the 1st attempt. managed all the new routes in exam which i haven't practiced but had 2majors for same fault of not peeping and creeping. there was a ambulance parked which obstructed my view when i had to turn left some how i missed to peep and turned left. 2nd major similar situation.. the examiner appreciated at the end saying my driving is perfect but failed for not peeping and creeping :frown:.. anyhow i passed today. my theory expires soon so wanted to pass as this is my last attempt
I failed my first test yesterday. I was really nervous and stalled whilst leaving the test centre but didn't get a minor for that as the examiner said it was just cos of nerves. We came to a roundabout after about 5 minutes and I was in the outside lane passing an exit and nearly hit these cars that tried to pull out and the examiner had to grab the wheel. I knew I h ad failed and it was horrible. (afterwards the examiner said it wasn't my fault so I didnt fail for that), I carried on and had to go on a dual carriage way, pass a cyclist on a hill and pass some horses on the other side of the road, all went fine. I had to do a bay park when back at the test centre which went okay, not my best but not bad enough for me to fail on or anything. While he counted up the marks at the end, I knew i'd probably failed for something, but was praaaaying for him to just say i'd passed. Anyway he said I'd failed and apparently it was for being to close to parked cars as I pulled round them. The examiner did grab the wheel as I drove round a car which he didn't need to as I really wasn't going to hit it... .I got 5 minors and 1 serious at the end. Anyway, I didn't pass which is so annoying as the route was really nice, the weather was good and it was really quiet... Praying for next time....
Passed first time today at 8:15am with one minor with about 10 hours of practice with my instructor! I didn't have any mock tests because I already knew what I was good at and I felt time would be better spent correcting things I wasn't so confident in e.g. reverse around a corner and meeting situations. I was under so much pressure because my dad is my driving instructor and my older siblings passed first time. I thought I failed because whilst another learner was doing their test, they were doing a 3 point turn so I wasn't sure whether to wait behind them or creep slowly in first gear, which I what I ended up doing and I waited ages to pull out of a junction even when I knew it was safe, I went to make sure my gear was in first and by that time more traffic had arrived (got my minor for this, undue hesitation)

Some tips for those taking the test (from my own personal experience and from advice I've been told) is;

- Ignore the examiner if he's making notes, my examiner drew dots around the page, I was tempted to sneak a look but I stayed strong
- Try and go on test routes before your test, or drive around the area, just so you're comfortable - this will help to calm your nerves too on the day
- When waiting in the waiting room before your test, use this moment to calm yourself down, another learner next to me was frantically asking her instructor questions and I saw her stall on her way out the test centre car park which I believe was due to nerves - just make sure you ask your instructor any questions you may have in good time so the knowledge actually sinks in, you shouldn't have any doubts about anything in the waiting room, stay calm and keep positive.
- Even if you think you failed, carry on driving as if you haven't. This way if you haven't actually failed you have a chance of passing or if you have failed you'll know exactly what you need to work on for next time
- If you get lost in your independent driving or forget a direction, just ask the examiner. This test is measuring how safe you are, not your ability to memorise and follow directions
- Make sure you're confident with all manoeuvres, don't just pray one doesn't come up!
- You probably will make mistakes - I bumped the kerb ever so slightly and quickly stopped - It's about how you react to your mistakes and hazards, don't let yourself be put off by this, your examiner will be more willing to let small things go if you show you're a safe driver
- I was doing 20mph (in a 20mph zone) cars behind me were doing 30mph and kept beeping, stand your ground! If they overtake, slow down to maintain the safe gap, essentially you'll realise people don't care if you're on a test and won't give you way bc they'll expect you to stop etc., just expect the worst to happen so you can prepare effectively (people also tend to treat you worse if you have a red L plate)
- Talk to your examiner! There was a crowd of school kids playing football on the pavement, I slowed my speed down incase they ran onto the road and voiced this to the examiner, they're not mind readers and as he couldn't see the kids he could've marked my speed as a fault. He didn't respond to me at the time but during the feedback he said he appreciated this and wished other learners would also do this
- Spend a few minutes a few days before reading the highway code

Good luck everyone!
Reply 77
I had my driving test yesterday and passed first time 🙌🏻 Passed my theory first time too with only one wrong answer :wink:

Got 6 minors on my test (not great lol) but I thought I'd failed - there was a lane closed so traffic was merging into one lane and I didn't realise so I had to indicate over. Luckily someone let me over so it was all fine in the end. My examiner was pretty scary - he asked me some questions about uni etc. but then was pretty silent. And I took the wrong exit off a roundabout and kept apologising 😂
Passed theory first time.

Failed my first two practical tests, got my third in a few weeks.

First: 2 majors, 8 minors. Majors for stalling at uphill traffic lights and getting cut off at a roundabout (I still wonder why I got a fault for this, but hey, I'd already failed at that point so whatever).

Second: 1 major, 7 minors. Major for squeezing in between two cars. Examiner said there wasn't enough space, but DID WE DIE?
Hi!

I turned 17 in March last year and began driving lessons right off the bat. My driving instructor wasn’t great and didn’t push me at all so i ended up taking my theory in october (which i passed first time - my advice is just learn the stuff, the questions on the gov website are exactly the same as the real thing so if you practice then you’ve got nothing to worry about).

In terms of the practical test, I passed first time Wednesday just gone. Run-up to it was terrible, like you couldn’t make it up. My instructor fell ill so she couldn’t be there on the test (she told me the night before) so we had to do last minute practice of everything she was supposed to do the lesson before the test. Then I fell ill the night before and then had to use my own car last minute because the instructor couldn’t make it. On top of that, the examiner asked if we were insured for the test (which we obviously didn’t know) so i’m sat in the car with the examiner while my mum rings the insurance company. If I can pass with the run-up from hell, honestly anyone can.

The test itself was fine, as long as you drive safe it doesn’t have to be perfect. I took it under the Chester test centre, and got the sat-nav, pull up on the right, the question about the brakes, and the show me was washing the front windscreen. The examiner also made me pull up on the left and pull away again on 2 separate occasions. The examiner told me we were going to do an emergency stop but she either forgot or ran out of time because it didn’t happen. I got 3 faults:
1) I was going right at a roundabout and didn’t get in the right lane early enough
2) On a side road with speed bumps, I was round parked cars and stayed in the middle of the road just a bit too long as there was someone waiting to reverse from their driveway (which i didn’t notice, oops)
3) on a slip road going onto a dual carriageway, I started looking in my mirrors just a bit too late and the examiner told me if I’d missed the gap then I would have run out of slip road.

But honestly it’s nothing to be worried about; I was so scared but i forgot I was doing my test until she started speaking. I know it’s really wordy but I wanted to give you guys full details and if you’ve got any questions don’t hesitate. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending