The Student Room Group

How depressing, I'm going to have to count calories for the rest of my life.

Lost a stone from counting calories, took me about 11 weeks, then I stopped counting calories and put it all back on in the same amount of time.

I either need to change my diet so that I can eat what I want withing a limited range of foods, or I need to spend the rest of my life counting calories so that I don't become morbidly obese.

Are there any other solutions? I heard there's a pill you can take that shrinks your stomach...can I ask the doctor for this? I'm not hideously overweight but I do have a belly and would rather not have one.
DO NOT take a slimming pill. They're extremely risky and you could get cancer from it.
Original post by IFLICHBA
Lost a stone from counting calories, took me about 11 weeks, then I stopped counting calories and put it all back on in the same amount of time.

I either need to change my diet so that I can eat what I want withing a limited range of foods, or I need to spend the rest of my life counting calories so that I don't become morbidly obese.

Are there any other solutions? I heard there's a pill you can take that shrinks your stomach...can I ask the doctor for this? I'm not hideously overweight but I do have a belly and would rather not have one.

I'm afraid to stay a stable weight, no-one can 'eat wjhat they want' You certainly don't need to 'count calories' for the rest of your life, but you will need to have a reasonably good idea of how much you need to be eating to stay a stable weight. That's about knowing about portion sizes and knowing roughly how much is too much! It's all practice, and as you've seen it is very easy to slip into old habits and regain lost weight quickly. However, please don't think you're stuck 'on a diet' for the rest of your life - it's really not like that.
Reply 3
Don't take the pills esp if you're getting them online - can be deadly
I'd talk to your doctor
Reply 4
Get a gym membership
Reply 5
Original post by zayn008
Get a gym membership

Got one, just makes me eat more xD.

Though counting calories (I use MyFitnessPal) is very effective. One thing that made me stop was being demoralised by days of going over the target. So I think I'll just ignore those days from now on and try my best to avoid having them. I'll leave the inputs blank and just write a note saying "fat day", counting the occurences of when they happen and trying to understand why, rather than focussing on the detail.
The problem is 100% in your mind. What exactly is your current situation? Are you fat? Are you lean but afraid of getting fat?

Why do you feel like you need to be able to eat as much as you want of whatever you want? Why is it such a fear for you to lose this ability to destroy yourself?
Reply 7
Original post by hatonfire
The problem is 100% in your mind. What exactly is your current situation? Are you fat? Are you lean but afraid of getting fat?

Why do you feel like you need to be able to eat as much as you want of whatever you want? Why is it such a fear for you to lose this ability to destroy yourself?

I'm fat but dw mate I'm taking control. All I've eaten in the last 24 hours is some soy milk and a tin of tuna. I'm adjusting myself to a sub 1000 kcal diet until I'm at the weight where I need to maintain.

Fasting helps me reboot my mind to stop obsessing over food.
Reply 8
Coconut oil

It alters metabolism very significantly, perhaps more than any other substance
Original post by IFLICHBA
I'm fat but dw mate I'm taking control. All I've eaten in the last 24 hours is some soy milk and a tin of tuna. I'm adjusting myself to a sub 1000 kcal diet until I'm at the weight where I need to maintain.

Fasting helps me reboot my mind to stop obsessing over food.

No it doesn't, unless you're some sort of freak, everybody else that fasts becomes more obsessed about food. That's probably why you're freaking out and worrying about never being able to stuff yourself full of junk food again.

Listen, I've been there, done that. If you keep going this way, you're going to do a few "fasts", and then break down and eat 2 large dominos pizzas, then fast for a week, rinse and repeat until you feel hopeless and look even worse than before you started.

This isn't a short-term fix. You have to get that out of your head. You're not going to "go on a diet" for a few months, get lean, and then forget about it all. If you do, you'll just get fat again. If you want to get lean and stay lean, you'll have to make long-term changes.

Imagine you're at the weight you want to be, right now. What would you eat on a daily basis? Do you know? If you don't know, that's the question you should be asking yourself. I can help you with that if you want.

Once you know what your end goal is, it's easy to adjust to reach that. Just take your "end-goal" diet, and slightly reduce your calories until you reach that weight. Problem solved.

And you can still eat as much junk food as you want. You just have to limit it to budgeted cheat meals. On a cheat meal, I down an entire dominos pizza with cookies and ice cream. And I have visible abs year-round.

So stop panicking, relax, figure it out, and go forth...
Original post by r3035
Coconut oil

There is no hocus pocus magic solution that will fix the problem. Coconut oil is beneficial, but eat too much and you'll get fat, just like anything else.
Honestly, if you have a slow metabolism and want to maintain you should eat around 1200 calories a day, and monitor your weight to ensure no dramatic increases. If you're eating a healthy diet, 1200 calories is LOADS of food. Cut down on carbs and up your green veg and protein, should be easy.
Reply 12
Original post by hatonfire
There is no hocus pocus magic solution that will fix the problem. Coconut oil is beneficial, but eat too much and you'll get fat, just like anything else.

you can't get fat on coconut oil

that's the whole point,
Original post by r3035
Coconut oil

Original post by r3035

that's the whole point,

complete nonsense
Reply 14
No pills!!!

Could try moving more? Keep your diet the same and burn more calories. Swimming, cycling. Dance classes whatever you find fun to burn some calories while your enjoying yourself!
Original post by r3035

that's the whole point,

Coconut oil is a fat source, and like any fat source, contains around 135 calories per tbsp. If you were consuming maintenance calories for a good while and not gaining any weight, then started consuming 5 tbsp of coconut oil per day (almost 700 calories in total) on top of that, that's a surplus of 700 calories per day which will mean 1-1.5lbs of weight gain per week. You'll start getting fat if you keep that up.

Quick Reply

Latest