The Student Room Group

I have absolutely everything but I'm depressed. What can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queenofswords
This is my biggest fear. Up until this point, my life's been quite :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: so my depression makes sense. I'm worried it wont go away even when everything is sorted. I feel so diseased just thinking about it.

That will never happen.
It's fine ... feeling that way. You just have to get used to it and you're sorted :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I feel that you need to aknowledge God.
This may sound ridiculous but this is why I believe our purpose it to aknowledge and connect with the Creator. Ask God to Guide you if He is there sincerely, and to show you a way. Try to discover the true meaning of life.

https://youtu.be/7d16CpWp-ok

Oh yeah the god card.
A solution to all your problems ; stop thinking, start having faith and everything will be fine.
The problem is you can't turn your rational and empirical thinking off.
But if he can do it I think this solution could work :smile:
This is not exactly a cure or a common idea, but you might want to give it a go.

This summer, live as if you had nothing. In other words, set a very tight budget (30 pounds a week), cook for yourself, clean your entire house (or at least your room) by yourself, get a job, pay rent and other bills (or at least put money somewhere while pretending they are rent money and do not touch them), only buy clothes if your other clothes are worn out, and generally live as if you were your average Joe without help from others (such as your parents). If you have to, live on your own or with flatmates during this time.

I am not sure if it will help much with depression, but you might end up being so grateful for everything you have when you come back to your usual lifestyle that you will feel a lot of joy, hence why I think it might help a little. :smile:

Besides, I think this would be a great experiment for every future university student since most people will end up broke in university or at some point in their adult life anyway. :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
Give your life to Jesus. Just pray a simple prayer; Lord Jesus help me, show youtself to me. Its only God who can fill that void that you feel.
Original post by TheManHimeself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK4WcLu1Ucg watch it you'll be hopeful

and the words you don't know just look them up

Original post by Moetau
Give your life to Jesus. Just pray a simple prayer; Lord Jesus help me, show youtself to me. Its only God who can fill that void that you feel.

:smile:
Original post by Michiyo
This is not exactly a cure or a common idea, but you might want to give it a go.

This summer, live as if you had nothing. In other words, set a very tight budget (30 pounds a week), cook for yourself, clean your entire house (or at least your room) by yourself, get a job, pay rent and other bills (or at least put money somewhere while pretending they are rent money and do not touch them), only buy clothes if your other clothes are worn out, and generally live as if you were your average Joe without help from others (such as your parents). If you have to, live on your own or with flatmates during this time.

I am not sure if it will help much with depression, but you might end up being so grateful for everything you have when you come back to your usual lifestyle that you will feel a lot of joy, hence why I think it might help a little. :smile:

Besides, I think this would be a great experiment for every future university student since most people will end up broke in university or at some point in their adult life anyway. :h:

Nah that will make him feel even more miserable.
If I was him I'd call my dad on day 1 of that.
If he as rich as he says he'll never be broke.
Original post by Michiyo
X

Things I like on you;
you are asexual and INTJ :biggrin:
Original post by Vesniep

That is exactly the idea! He will feel so miserable it will be hard for him to feel miserable afterwards! :biggrin: Or at least that is my hypothesis. :h:

Either way, it could help him prepare for life :smile:

If his parents lose their money, so will he :smile:
Original post by Vesniep

I wouldn't even make it through the first hour to be honest. If I wake up in my house, somebody makes my breakfast for me.

Original post by Michiyo
That is exactly the idea! He will feel so miserable it will be hard for him to feel miserable afterwards! :biggrin:

Thanks for the idea, but I'm never going to do that. For the record, my parents are never going to lose their money. My family has a lot of inherited wealth, my dad is a banker in London (the ones the papers always moan about), and my mum is an investor and business woman. I'm never going to not live with money, even if it's just for the summer.
Original post by Michiyo
That is exactly the idea! He will feel so miserable it will be hard for him to feel miserable afterwards! :biggrin: Or at least that is my hypothesis. :h:

Either way, it could help him prepare for life :smile:

I'm not so sure if it goes like that.

Prepare him for life: not really. That's not the type of life he will live.
Rich people have different type of struggles.

True in which case suicide is the best solution :wink:
Original post by Glassapple
I wouldn't even make it through the first hour to be honest. If I wake up in my house, somebody makes my breakfast for me.

Thanks for the idea, but I'm never going to do that. For the record, my parents are never going to lose their money. My family has a lot of inherited wealth, my dad is a banker in London (the ones the papers always moan about), and my mum is an investor and business woman. I'm never going to not live with money, even if it's just for the summer.

Okay :toofunny:

Your response was hilarious. Thank you for that :hugs:

I know when I did something similar, I appreciated my life so much more afterwards. I was really sad when I tried that, but in the end, I was so grateful I could not be unhappy anymore. Just thought it might have helped if you tried. :smile:

So don't do it.
In fact don't do anything at all and get used to that situation.
That's what I told you on a post you totally ignored; what a surprise :biggrin:
Anybody with anything productive to say?

Spirituality or religion maybe lacking
Original post by Michiyo
Okay :toofunny:

Your response was hilarious. Thank you for that :hugs:

I know when I did something similar, I appreciated my life so much more afterwards. I was really sad when I tried that, but in the end, I was so grateful I could not be unhappy anymore. Just thought it might have helped if you tried. :smile:

first of all what is hilarious?
Also be grateful to what exactly ?? I don't get you .
I've tried, but I just can't find it. Is there anything productive I can do about it?

help others. those less fortunate than yourself. donate to charity, take up volunteering. do something humbling-that doesn't benefit you in a materialistic way.
Original post by Anonymous
get over yourself and learn to appreciate how good you've got it?

You do realise that depression is an illness right? You can't simply get over it.
Studies show that people with a higher quality of life are more likely to commit suicide. Your situation appears to be an archetype of this.

Find music you enjoy. There is a LOT of music out there which has helped people through really difficult times- and don't cast aside a group or genre just because of its reputation. If you play a musical instrument, that's great as well.

OP, which of the following do you have an interest in, and to what extent- power, wealth, and fame?
@EC Why did you rep me in my 'oh you are ignoring me' post??? By mistake or does he ignore you as well?
Basically I tried to outsmart him in his previous thread but he avoided it by ignoring me (not sure if it was on purpose) that's why it was a good move.
In this one I can relate and I think our situations are similar.
But he still ignores me idk what he has in mind ??? He doesn't say.
Reply 58
Original post by Vesniep
@EC Why did you rep me in my 'oh you are ignoring me' post??? By mistake or does he ignore you as well?
Basically I tried to outsmart him in his previous thread but he avoided it by ignoring me (not sure if it was on purpose) that's why it was a good move.
In this one I can relate and I think our situations are similar.
But he still ignores me idk what he has in mind ??? He doesn't say.

I repped it because you realised he is smart. I started ignoring people on here who have not been talking nicely to me so maybe this is why he's ignoring you as well.
Original post by EC
I repped it because you realised he is smart. I started ignoring people on here who have not been talking nicely to me so maybe this is why he's ignoring you as well.

Hmm maybe you've got a point here.
But I have something else in mind; the one who is ignored is inferior :wink:

Anyway he is a smart guy and we could have had a good discussion but I think he sees enemies everywhere; which is not bad at all considering how controversial he is and how many people would despise him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending