The Student Room Group

what grades do you need to get to go to Cambridge for neuroscience

what grades do you need to get to go to Cambridge
Original post by olivia131

It's all under Natural Sciences, though I can't remember if Neuroscience was a specialty at the end or not.

A*A*A at A level in any case
Reply 2
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's all under Natural Sciences, though I can't remember if Neuroscience was a specialty at the end or not.

A*A*A at A level in any case

oh okay thanks, how about GCSE grades?
oh okay thanks, how about GCSE grades?

There's been people getting in with a couple A*, to all A*; just try your best, knowing that the entrance exam and interview are probably weighted more heavily.

Hey! I want to study Neuroscience at Cambridge too! My name is Sofia, I'm in year 10. I'm aiming to enter the Natural Sciences course and do the Neuroscience, Psychology and Behavioural sciences specification they have on the third year.
You can do Neuroscience in Natural Sciences through Physiology, Development, and Neuroscience (PDN), or Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour (PNB). You can't apply directly to either as there is an internal selection after second year; the former has a specific neuroscience track as well, although it's one of the most popular options. You can also do Psychology through Natural Sciences, or the Psychological and Behavioural Sciences tripos which has some overlap with the Neuroscience courses. There is also Pharmacology which is related.

PDN is more cell/molecular neurobiology, PNB/Psych/PBS are more cognitive neuroscience. To tie into your other thread no, you don't need chemistry to do any of those, although I'm not sure you can apply to nat sci with your A-levels (as you only have biology as a science A-level and no maths/chemistry). PBS "only" requires A*AA rather than A*A*A. Also Cambridge doesn't consider GCSE grades outside of medicine and maths afaik.
Original post by artful_lounger
You can do Neuroscience in Natural Sciences through Physiology, Development, and Neuroscience (PDN), or Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour (PNB). You can't apply directly to either as there is an internal selection after second year; the former has a specific neuroscience track as well, although it's one of the most popular options. You can also do Psychology through Natural Sciences, or the Psychological and Behavioural Sciences tripos which has some overlap with the Neuroscience courses. There is also Pharmacology which is related.

PDN is more cell/molecular neurobiology, PNB/Psych/PBS are more cognitive neuroscience. To tie into your other thread no, you don't need chemistry to do any of those, although I'm not sure you can apply to nat sci with your A-levels (as you only have biology as a science A-level and no maths/chemistry). PBS "only" requires A*AA rather than A*A*A. Also Cambridge doesn't consider GCSE grades outside of medicine and maths afaik.

This is all correct :smile:

I would, however, strongly suggest that realistically you do need chemistry - having done IB Physiology I wouldn't have wanted to do it without Chemistry..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending