The Student Room Group

Why is a woman always judged on her looks?

Doesn't a woman have more worth?

By reducing a woman’s worth down to her appearance, we slyly diminish her role and her value as a contributor to society

Scroll to see replies

In short.... The Patriarchy.
Original post by Anonymous

By reducing a woman’s worth down to her appearance, we slyly diminish her role and her value as a contributor to society

Think you will find it happens to men as well.
Human Nature

Original post by Friffinghell
In short.... The Patriarchy.
Reply 4
Men are judged on their looks too.

That's life.
I hope this does not turn into what i think its going

Original post by 999tigger
Think you will find it happens to men as well.
Original post by KFrostMU
I hope this does not turn into what i think its going

Which would be what?
I don't think that is necessarily true. If you look at historical workplace manuals showing the uniforms of men and women in corporate or retail; the male uniform is standard, comfortable and suits most seasons whereas female uniform is often impractical. Thus proof that the woman's outfit is not about the job at hand- but how they look.
i would argue that men are judged on their looks as well, but when it comes to the workplace covert racism or homophobia is more of a problem for men that bias towards appearance.

(That said, I used to work in recruitment and had a male candidate with excellent qualifications- but absolutely disgusting teeth. Black/brown/missing. He interviewed quite well but obviously interviewers assumed that he might have some personal problems that they wanted to steer clear of.)
Because life is :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:.
Just the sad fact of life. Wish it wasn't like that.
Reply 11
That's the biggest asset

Both men and women would be judged equally in terms of looks if it weren't for the media and it's effect on society. It seems to have a larger impact on females.
Reply 13
That's for sure...
Reply 14
Original post by UWS
Men are judged on their looks too.

That's life.

This.

Being judged on one's looks is not something just women go through.
This reminds me of when I was younger and watching the news, for example, the female newsreader would always be attractive and the male newsreader less so. I didn't understand why that was. Times have changed now. But women are still clearly judged on their appearance. Could be evolutionary.
Well clearly men are too.

But being an average looking man man is not quite the same "crime" as being anything less than a decent looking woman. I think it is as much an obsession with youth as it is feminine beauty. Men are obsessed with youth because effectively that is nature. Women have a much shorter fertility window.

Sucks but that's life.

Men have had their value to society diminished quite inherently in recent years.

Complaining that men like pretty women doesn't really cut it when women's general standing in society has never been higher.
(edited 6 years ago)
Women are expected to look as pleasing to the male eye as possible. A guy just has to look not ugly- I mean, I don't really know about that one. You definitely don't see pictures of half naked men everywhere though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Because thats the main thing a man wants in a woman, along with the woman being feminine, its biological, guys don't give a damn about what jobs they have, how much money they have or what their status is, things which women do look for. So the answer is biological.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending